Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
29%
Area
6%
Rapid
29%
Tech
24%
Support
No votes
Melee
12%

Total votes: 17

Linz

Re: Bullet-Eye - v0.11.6 - Frozen Wrath - 8/9/21 (4 Weapons?

Post by Linz »

So,a nitpick or two:

Why doesn't LOBOLASHI explode when killed? Everyone else does so I wonder why it's an expection

Also it kinda bugs me how the sprite when scoped with the Sniper Cannon looks completely different compared to the one on the gun's sprite proer

Also Also,ever considered adding music tracks from modern retro titles?

Also Also Also,a sound cue for when an equipment piece is low on durablity would be nice

Also 4x,why is the max amount of enchancers you can have 255? Wouldn't making it like 999 be more approriate?
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Linz wrote:So,a nitpick or two:

Why doesn't LOBOLASHI explode when killed? Everyone else does so I wonder why it's an expection
There's actually a reason for that.
Spoiler:
Also it kinda bugs me how the sprite when scoped with the Sniper Cannon looks completely different compared to the one on the gun's sprite proer
Yes, I've been meaning to change that. I'll try and get it fixed in the next update.
Also Also,ever considered adding music tracks from modern retro titles?
Depends on what you mean. The main reason I am sticking with SPC and VGZ file types is because they are a lot smaller in filesize compared to a MP3 or OGG music file. SPC files are a flat 64.5 KB no matter what the song is, for example.
Also Also Also,a sound cue for when an equipment piece is low on durablity would be nice
There is a sound that plays for that exact instance. Either the sound was too low during action taking place, or it's somehow not working all of a sudden. I'll look into it.
Also 4x,why is the max amount of enchancers you can have 255? Wouldn't making it like 999 be more approriate?
It's a reference to some Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo games (but not exclusive to those) where 255 was the maximum value that could be stored in a byte. I can change it though, since it does tend to get in the way a bit while testing equipment items and bonuses.

Speaking of the update, it may be out fairly soon as there appears to be an issue with the Assassin Vulcan causing a VM Abort. I was shown a screenshot of said VM Abort, but personally wasn't able to trigger it. The code for it has been improved, so hopefully it does the trick, because for some reason that weapon likes to cause random rare VM Aborts.

This update will also tone down the Dread Trooper and Crusher enemies to bring them more in line with being low tier enemies. Specifically, the Dread Troopers will be slower and jump away less. Crushers will have a lower chance to launch their shields and also incur a cooldown after doing so.

These two changes were due to feedback that I had to literally Google, because for some reason feedback this critical (critical as in the difference between someone enjoying/playing the mod or not) isn't usually brought to me directly. How am I supposed to fix or improve something if no one says anything?! I am just going to assume everything is fine if I hear nothing about it.
Linz

Post by Linz »

Forthe modern retro titles thing,I mean games like Shovel Knight,Axiom Verge,Bot Vice,stuff like that

As for the sound thing,huh. I honestly didn't notice that at all.Then again I'm pretty particular when it comes to repairing my equipment so...
Is there a sound cue for when an equipment piece breaks though?

Also thank god the Dread Trooper's getting nerfed,they can be really annoying to fight

Especially if you're playing with CC and thought,hey why not choose the card that makes a gang of the fuckers spawn?

Oh,another thing that's been bugging me is Galaxy Slicer's L3 effect

Like it's L2 effect encourages you to jump into the fray so you can build up energy for it's devestating third swing,but it's L3 effect is the exact opposite and encourages you to not get damaged so you can shoot sword beams

I feel like they don't really..synergize very well
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Linz wrote:Forthe modern retro titles thing,I mean games like Shovel Knight,Axiom Verge,Bot Vice,stuff like that
I'll have to look into those, but the only problem I foresee is that they will most likely be 1 MB or larger or won't have perfect loops like the SPC or VGZ files have.
As for the sound thing,huh. I honestly didn't notice that at all.Then again I'm pretty particular when it comes to repairing my equipment so...
Is there a sound cue for when an equipment piece breaks though?
There is also a sound for equipment breaking, yes.
Also thank god the Dread Trooper's getting nerfed,they can be really annoying to fight

Especially if you're playing with CC and thought,hey why not choose the card that makes a gang of the fuckers spawn?
Yes, in hindsight it was probably too much. I am going to miss that behavior though.
Oh,another thing that's been bugging me is Galaxy Slicer's L3 effect

Like it's L2 effect encourages you to jump into the fray so you can build up energy for it's devestating third swing,but it's L3 effect is the exact opposite and encourages you to not get damaged so you can shoot sword beams

I feel like they don't really..synergize very well
Yes, I was looking at changing that to activate a different way. Same with the Winged Reaver, because the L2 for that completely negates the idea of what you are supposed to do with the weapon, which is to time the detonation before it hits an enemy. Though, for the Galaxy Slicer I did want to also have the L2 grant energy from damaging enemies as well as the current effect of granting energy from taking damage.

Some other weapons I am looking at are the Buster's L3, as I have plans to stick that effect on a weapon of its own, and the Toxic Storm L3 for the same reason. Also going to revamp the Repeaters,
Linz

Post by Linz »

Cool Cool

Looking forward to seeing that one weapon that's like a portable turret

Also one other thing you might wanna look into: Apparently using your weapon/equipment enhancers can alert enemies

And maybe make it so that melee weapons can't alert enemies?

Oh on another note,how about a gauge showing how many charges you have stored for the Quick Strike's L3 effect?

And bout the LOBOLASHI,what if to show that if it's killed for good it explodes?
Masked_Eclips
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Masked_Eclips »

Uhhh...Is the unzipped bullet eye folder supposed to be a folder? Or, did I do something wrong when I downloaded it?
Linz

Post by Linz »

Masked_Eclips wrote:Uhhh...Is the unzipped bullet eye folder supposed to be a folder? Or, did I do something wrong when I downloaded it?
You're not supposed to unzip it,just load it up as is
Masked_Eclips
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Masked_Eclips »

Linz wrote:
Masked_Eclips wrote:Uhhh...Is the unzipped bullet eye folder supposed to be a folder? Or, did I do something wrong when I downloaded it?
You're not supposed to unzip it,just load it up as is
I see, thank you
Valencer9
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Valencer9 »

There's some small issue with the equipment upgrade or enhancers, when you try to upgrade but you only have 4 equipment enhancers left you won't be able to spend it even if the requirement for upgrade & repair is 1. For the new weapons I like the new Decimator and Bloodshot Magnum's focus on kill streaks when upgraded. I'd like to see what you have planned for Plasma Repeaters but I think their simplicity is good and fitting for it. Then again we do have Spitfire for that so maybe yeah we could give it a new quirk.... Also is 4 slots the max slots we're going to get or are we getting more weapon slots in the future?
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Valencer9 wrote:There's some small issue with the equipment upgrade or enhancers, when you try to upgrade but you only have 4 equipment enhancers left you won't be able to spend it even if the requirement for upgrade & repair is 1. For the new weapons I like the new Decimator and Bloodshot Magnum's focus on kill streaks when upgraded. I'd like to see what you have planned for Plasma Repeaters but I think their simplicity is good and fitting for it. Then again we do have Spitfire for that so maybe yeah we could give it a new quirk.... Also is 4 slots the max slots we're going to get or are we getting more weapon slots in the future?
I wasn't able to reproduce the issue, but I'll keep looking into it, since another issue actually popped up related to equipment and may have had something to do with it (Though, that was related to a feature in the dev version, which has already been fixed and is unlikely to be related to said issue). The Repeaters mechanics are finished now, but I just need to fix up the sprites by adding proper arms and sprucing up the effects and animations a bit. They seem a lot more faster paced than before, so I think a lot of players will definitely see them as an improvement and won't consider them a hard pass when they happen to be found.

4 slots is intended to be the maximum, but if the need arises in the future, the limit could always be increased. Though, I would have to find out what to do about screen space, since the HUD already takes up a considerable amount of room even after I adjusted some things.
majinm
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by majinm »

Thank you for the hard work, and this mod looks very fun to play and to explore!

I am getting an error message when i try to play it via Gzdoom, it says:

Code: Select all

Script error, "bullet-eye-v0.11.6.zip:zactors/environment/props.zsc" line 378:
Unexpected 'abstract'
Expecting '.' or 'class' or identifier or 'native' or 'ui' or 'play' or 'version' or 'color' or 'clearscope' or 'int8' or 'uint8' or 'int16' or 'uint16' or 'int' or 'uint' or 'bool' or 'float' or 'double' or 'vector2' or 'vector3' or 'name' or 'sound' or 'state' or 'let' or '@' or 'readonly' or 'map' or 'array' or 'void' or 'action' or 'deprecated' or 'static' or 'private' or 'protected' or 'latent' or 'final' or 'meta' or 'transient' or 'internal' or 'virtual' or 'override' or 'vararg' or 'virtualscope'

Script error, "bullet-eye-v0.11.6.zip:zactors/environment/props.zsc" line 420:
Unexpected token '#'.

Execution could not continue.

1 errors while parsing bullet-eye-v0.11.6.zip:zscript.txt
am i doing it wrong?
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

majinm wrote:Thank you for the hard work, and this mod looks very fun to play and to explore!

I am getting an error message when i try to play it via Gzdoom, it says:

Code: Select all

Script error, "bullet-eye-v0.11.6.zip:zactors/environment/props.zsc" line 378:
Unexpected 'abstract'
Expecting '.' or 'class' or identifier or 'native' or 'ui' or 'play' or 'version' or 'color' or 'clearscope' or 'int8' or 'uint8' or 'int16' or 'uint16' or 'int' or 'uint' or 'bool' or 'float' or 'double' or 'vector2' or 'vector3' or 'name' or 'sound' or 'state' or 'let' or '@' or 'readonly' or 'map' or 'array' or 'void' or 'action' or 'deprecated' or 'static' or 'private' or 'protected' or 'latent' or 'final' or 'meta' or 'transient' or 'internal' or 'virtual' or 'override' or 'vararg' or 'virtualscope'

Script error, "bullet-eye-v0.11.6.zip:zactors/environment/props.zsc" line 420:
Unexpected token '#'.

Execution could not continue.

1 errors while parsing bullet-eye-v0.11.6.zip:zscript.txt
am i doing it wrong?
Thank you, but I can't take all the credit for the hard work. This mod definitely wouldn't be what it is now without the help of Accensus.

As for your issue, try using the latest version of GZDoom (4.6.1) found here. That should do it, and I hope you enjoy the mod!
majinm
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by majinm »

Deploying it with the latest version of GZDoom worked right :) thank you!
user5124

Post by user5124 »

Any chance of a "don't die at episode end" feature to allow maps like Eviternity to not break the levelling/continuity aspects of Bullet-Eye? :?:

I think some mods like guncaster (or guncaster vindicated?) have this..
Linz

Post by Linz »

There is actually

It's called use godmode

Return to “Gameplay Mods”