XRpg - Simple Hexen RPG mod [v2.2 Released] New GUI inventory system with full mouse support

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
peewee_RotA

XRpg - Simple Hexen RPG mod [v2.2 Released] New GUI inventory system with full mouse support

Post by peewee_RotA »

What is XRpg?
TITLE.jpg
TITLE.jpg (8.25 KiB) Viewed 621 times
XRpg is a simple RPG made to test out leveling as an inventory item in hexen. It has grown to have a lot of features including spells and skills as well as miniboss monsters.

The game is made to balance with the original level sets, and to keep as close to the same feel. Smashing squishy monsters with an axe, and outsmarting them with a spell, are key focuses of features. Monsters even scale up at random with their own upgrades depending on player level. Many monsters will remain the same and squish easily under your titanic strength, while others work as minibosses that require more strategy and cunning to defeat.

New Inventory system with new items! Equip your character with magical items and armor by opening the map.

Preview here:
https://rumble.com/v4jz81u-xrpg-2.0-rel ... hexen.html

A summary is below. Learn more in the Read Me

Summary
Spoiler:
Download

Version 1.5 is the latest release.

Note: Targets GZDoom 4.11.3 and higher due to multiplayer fixes in gzdoom and widescreen weapon sprite support.

Download the v2.2 PK3

---------------------------------------
WIP - New map pack with 2 hubs complete. The map pack highlights the RPG elements, gives you more choice, and leans better into the D&D influences of the original game. Every class should experience the new levels much differently, and be challenged in unique ways.
Download here: https://github.com/cabbruzzese/xrpgleve ... s/tag/v2_0

Hub 1 - Pillars of Hell
Spoiler:
Hub 2 - Mythic Arcanum
Spoiler:
Plus secret levels

NOTE: Don't forget to reference both the XRPG mod and this level pack in your command line
i.e. C:\gzdoom\gzdoom.exe -file C:\mods\xrpg.pk3 -file C:\mods\xrpglevels.pk3

Note: This will break saves for the old level pack version 1.0.
-------------------------------------------

Download link for Mod: XRPG v2.2 PK3
Download link for Map Pack: XRPG Single Player Map Pack - Episodes 1 and 2, WIP
Last edited by peewee_RotA on Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 pm, edited 39 times in total.
peewee_RotA

Re: XRpg - Simple Hexen RPG mod [WIP]

Post by peewee_RotA »

Made lots and lots of updates. Got the leveling system working to scale damage and armor. Finished the Mage spell system and am working on cleric spells.

The mage and Fighter are ready for some beta testing. I could use some feedback for anyone who wants to try them out.

The fighter is pretty straight forward. Plays like normal and has some alt attacks.

Mage gains spells at higher levels, randomizing and getting more powerful spell tiers at higher levels. They are used like items. Once a spell is active, the alt fire for every weapon will cast the spell in a unique way. There are a lot of spell combinations, and some spells can only be earned at high levels.

The main thing I need some feedback on is that for weapons 1-3 spells cost mana. Spells cast while holding bloodscourge do not cost mana and balanced for being essentially free spells. So is it fun to have the balanced free spells, or should they cost lots of mana and be big hitters?

To test the current version, download a zip copy from github and set a shortcut pointing the -file argument to that folder.
i.e. C:\Games\gzdoom\gzdoom.exe -file C:\Games\xrpg

Only works with Hexen. Min GZdoom version 4.5.0
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Cleric is playable now too. Cleric spells and level gain finished. Weapon alt fires and smite effects finished.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Added Key Config section to set spells.

Used Keypad as default for mage since they are basically "equipped" and can be hit at leisure. Not sure the best bet for cleric since they are needed quickly, especially the heal and protect spells.

Would definitely help to get some feedback here. Thanks!
LordKane1701
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by LordKane1701 »

peewee_RotA wrote:Added Key Config section to set spells.

Used Keypad as default for mage since they are basically "equipped" and can be hit at leisure. Not sure the best bet for cleric since they are needed quickly, especially the heal and protect spells.

Would definitely help to get some feedback here. Thanks!
I will do some testing for you this weekend, I will see if I can get to it earlier.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Thanks!
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Made some improvements to Cleric. Smite damage and spell durations and cooldowns now scale when you gain magic. There's now two cleric spell slots so you can have two active effects.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Updated cleric spells to make more effective/longer duration. Added very limited regen feature. Added basic monster types with randomized spawning. Fixed some mage spell bugs.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Added more leader types with special abilities. Will do some testing and then get a pk3 ready soon.
LordKane1701
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by LordKane1701 »

I got some testing in later then I expected and you identified some issues already will wait till the new pk3 and report back.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

LordKane1701 wrote:I got some testing in later then I expected and you identified some issues already will wait till the new pk3 and report back.
Thanks. Yeah, I had a bunch of stuff I was putting off and decided to power through.

I made some big updates, including Fighter Skills (Berserk, power strike, stunning strike)
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Added monster resistances. I think that it's stable enough to version this and add a pk3. Sorry for delaying that. I'll test a little bit today and get one out.
peewee_RotA

Re: XRpg - Simple Hexen RPG mod [v1.0 Released]

Post by peewee_RotA »

Released a version 1.0 PK 3.

https://github.com/cabbruzzese/xrpg/releases/tag/v1.0

OP Updated
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

While testing we found a bug in the multiplayer that kills the ability to gain levels.

Thanks to some awesome help from Player701 I found a work around and also made changes to let levels persist after death. I would like to create some kind of punishment for dying but not sure yet. Probably reset current xp to 0 and maybe slightly lower health max or something.

Based on discussions on other 2.5d rpgs I've had in the past, death punishment is a very complex issue. Many games enjoy the minecraft approach of just dumping all inventory. Losing money is another good approach but there is none here. The harsh D&D approach of losing levels is interesting but with randomized stats and skills that's really tough.

I'll do some testing and see.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Implemented above fixes and pushed to repo. Tested losing some health with each death (never going below a minimum value) and it worked out good in first set of tests. Going to do coop tests probably tomorrow night.

Also added xrpg_minlevel as a server side cvar so a coop server can host a later level and catch players up. Saving exact progress is not reasonable, but starting a hub with a minimum level should be fun.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”