SKININFO lump

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Scuba Steve

SKININFO lump

Post by Scuba Steve »

Most threads are very old, so I thought I'd raise the question again; zandronum and skulltag both support SKININFO to allow defining multiple skins in one wad... Is there a reason GZdoom doesn't support this feature?
Enjay

Re: SKININFO lump

Post by Enjay »

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it has been possible to have multiple skins in a single WAD for a long time.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/skins/variants
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

This seems less flexible?
inkoalawetrust
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by inkoalawetrust »

Enjay wrote:I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it has been possible to have multiple skins in a single WAD for a long time.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/skins/variants
I think Steve is talking about the [wiki]SKININFO[/wiki] lump/file Skulltag and Zandronum support.

Honestly looking at SKININFO's available commands, it seems like it's too little to have even justified creating a new lump/file based on S_SKIN, it's literally 3 new commands. Maybe SKININFO could use some major additions for Zandronum 3.1*, to justify it being a separate lump/file instead of an update to S_SKIN.

That aside, the fact that SKININFO has so little difference from S_SKIN means that GZDoom could probably support it fairly easily. Then again, the trouble of adding SKININFO support may outweigh the benefit of adding said support, instead of the other way around.
Scuba Steve wrote:This seems less flexible?
It's just that Enjay's (VERY) old WAD only uses two of all the commands S_SKIN has, or maybe those were just all the commands available back in 2003, or a mix of both.

Either way, S_SKIN actually has a lot more commands as you can see here by clicking here: [wiki]S_SKIN[/wiki]

*If it comes out before we are all in a retirement home.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

S_SKIN lumps MUST be in a standalone wad with ONLY the resources needed to make the skin work; everything else is ignored.
That's the important part... Skininfo can be inside a complete mod which includes new skins, whereas s_skin only reads assets related to the skins.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Scuba Steve wrote:Is there a reason GZdoom doesn't support this feature?
I think it's mostly lack of interest. It's seen as a multiplayer vanity feature, which is not really the focus of the port. In addition there's the interplay between skin, class, and player character gender that should be clarified first, perhaps, and who wants to do that?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I only suggested the S_SKIN method simply because the OP read a bit like the reason for the request was to have multiple skins in a single WAD but I wasn't sure if that was all that the request was looking for.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Not your fault, I just needed to clarify. But yeah, being able to include multiple skins WITHIN a larger project is currently only on option with skininfo.
Ultimate Freedoomer

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

Honestly, I’d want it because your weapon not being shown on your player model in reflective surfaces or cutscenes is kind of immersion-breaking. Plus, you don’t have to make separate substates on the player definition just to account for the selected weapon.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”