Xim's GZDoom3 for Classic Doom (Update OCT/27/23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xim

Xim's GZDoom3 for Classic Doom (Update OCT/27/23)

Post by Xim »

This is a gameplay mod for GZDoom which replaces the classic Doom weapons and enemies into their Doom 3 counterparts, with adjustments made and additional extras included. This mod contains new graphics made by various community members and sound effects from Doom 3. The weapons and enemies can be run together or separately, but are recommend to be run together for the best intended experience.

Requires GZDoom ver.4.7.1 or up and a valid doom wad.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Previous versions
v2.2Mirror 1
v.1.5Mirror 1
v1.3Mirror 1
v1.3Mirror 2
v1.2Mirror 1
v1.2Mirror 2
v1. Mirror 1
v1. Mirror 2

This mod aims to mix the gameplay of classic Doom with the semi-real themes from Doom 3. Weapons are based off the Doom 3 arsenal.
Some features are:
-All guns have clips that must be reloaded, powered by RRWM reloading system [1.3.0a].
-Weapons eject casings and smoke.
-Hitscans have tracers and sounds for hitting either flesh or walls and fly-by.
-Most of the weapons will deal more damage than their classic versions.
-Weapons use the classic Doom ammo types, an optional patch is included that gives weapons new ammo types based on Doom 3
-Shotguns are stronger but have a wider spread.
-The chaingun is faster and more powerful but must wind-up to fire.
-Plasma rifle projectiles are a bit faster and stronger.
-The BFG charges up for stronger blasts, be careful you don't overload it!
-Grenades that behave similar to Doom 3, don't overcook them!
-The Soul Cube or The Artifact can replace the Megasphere or Soulsphere.
-Friendly sentry bots can replace blurspheres, press 'use' to activate them.
-For more QOL some weapons can be zoomed or have different fire modes
and you can perform a quick-kick attack (user 1) at any time if you like.
-Doom 3 style hud by Blux001, with edits to include weapon icons and flashlight.
-Added features to the Nightmare skill level, based off Doom 3. Your health degenerates and healing kits are now small bonuses, but you start off with either the soul cube or artifact.

Nearly every Doom 3 enemy makes an appearance (over 35 enemies). Sprites were chosen to be in a classic Doom style. Special thanks to the work of many members of the Doom community! (see credits)
Some features are:
-Blood now splats on the floor and fades away.
-Zombiemen are slower but have increased health with ZSecs mixed in, with increased tactics but more manageable hit points.
-Imps now perform leaping attacks or heavier fireballs when in medium range.
-Pinky demons can be randomly replaced with other melee demons and zombies.
-Revenant's seeking missiles are now fired in pairs, but they now slowly fall
to the ground and can be destroyed by shooting at them.
-Barons of Hell are replaced with Brusiers or, with a rare chance, one of the Hellhunter bosses.
-The Vagary replaces the Arachnotron. Still a big spider, but different in fighting style. They throw seeking spike balls and spawn Trites, smaller spider-like demons.
-The Lost Mission's Guardian of Hell replaces the Spidermastermind.
-The Cyberdemon has a chance to be replaced with the Sabaoth.
-Resurrection of Evil's final boss The Maledict replaces the Icon of Sin battle.

Also included is a 'world' patch that turns maps into a Doom 3 style, includes DarkDoomZ and D3RetroTex, along with liquid effects and Doom 3 sounds. Edits have been made to the flashlight to add battery drain and monster alerting, which can be turned off in the options menu.

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:
VIDEO
Spoiler:
CREDITS
Spoiler:
KNOWN ISSUES AND OTHER NOTES
Spoiler:
Last edited by Xim on Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:53 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Xim's GZDoom3 for Classic Doom

Post by Nems »

I had been thinking about the lack of Doom 3-themed mods for classic Doom recently and I see this. This is a welcome sight. :D

I've downloaded it and will give it a spin as soon as I'm able (hopefully in about 12 - 14 hours from now because I need sleep lmao). <3
armymen12002003
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

another good mod from you XIm Great job.
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

I'm glad we finally got another Doom 3 mod after to me it seemed like all the available ones stopped working in modern GZDoom. It is kinda fun, however I have a few nitpicks. (mostly due to it not being entirely faithful, which I doubt was the goal here)

-The fingerless gloves kinda distract me. I dunno, when I think of a "horror" game like Doom 3, I don't imagine the protagonist wearing them. Unless he/she is a badass, which I guess it fits here?
-The ability to quick kick just seems like an odd addition to me. Though I tend to never use this ability in any mod unless I need to hit a wall/switch.
-Grenades feel very.....odd to use. I'm not sure exactly how. I never can seem to get the grenades to go where I want them to.
-I would've preferred angled weapons tbh, but it is great to see how the weapons are interpreted in center view. Not too much of a big deal, and at least showcases the communities great work.
-Not too much of a fan of the Chaingun's reload animation. Just seems like the chaingun moves to the right a LOT more than it should.
-On that note, the reload for the Machine Gun bugs me a tiny bit, since in Doom 3 the clip goes in the top of the gun, but in this mod it goes in the bottom.

Take these with a grain of salt though, since as I said they're all nitpicks. I've been enjoying it so far, though. (without the monsters. For some reason I can't stand the classic Trites, but in Doom 3 they don't scare me at all lul)
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:-Grenades feel very.....odd to use. I'm not sure exactly how. I never can seem to get the grenades to go where I want them to.
This is a very drive-by non-answer by someone who hasn't looked at the code, but see if it works any better with autoaim turned all the way off. AA tends to mess with grenades because of projectile drop.
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

I never use autoaim so not that. And besides, I said they were nitpicks that shouldn't be taken too seriously, as in yes, I don't know anything about the code or coding in general. I just find it hard to describe how they feel.
kalensar
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

WOOHOO!!! That was super fun just playtesting on Doom 2 with just the weapons and monsters. That lived up to my expectations with Xim's name attached to it. There were WAY more monsters than I thought there were going to be, and that was an excellent thing to see. The Shotguns do feel a tiny bit OP, but I'm not complaining since I got took down at Map09 The Pit by my first Pain Elemental while holding the normal shotgun.

I do see what the above dude was meaning about the grenades. Maybe if the gravity was set higher rather than at Moon Gravity that might fix the discomfort he's feeling.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Took a quick look at the assets, I noticed that you have "TheVengefulOne" credited on the view Plasma Rifle sprites. I'm pretty sure that's the modelshot I took for my Hideous Destructor Doom 3 reskin set here viewtopic.php?f=43&t=53251 / https://i.imgur.com/6YyIPfZ.png. I personally don't mind not being credited at all, since none of the models are mine anyways, but I do have concerns for miscrediting people for things they didn't do.

Anyways, with that out of the way. A minor critique on the mod itself. I haven't played the mod much, so forgive me if I miss some elements here and there. Mind you, this is just something I noticed immediately opening the mod in a test range. I'll play for a while and then see if there's anything else that comes to mind.

I'll just say right now that I'm not a big fan. I won't go into things like all the major gameplay differences compared to the original game, obvious aesthetical changes like the use of gloves instead of bare arms, or even minor things like how you completely changed how the MG88 reloads (bottom load instead of mid load requiring the top to be opened), since you said at the opening post that Doom 3 accuracy isn't really something you're concerned about and adjustments were made. I do however have problems with how the mod looks.

A lot of the view weapon sprites have this blurry look to them that I feel seriously damages the visual aspect of the mod. I can understand some smears being used in high speed motion, but half of the blurry sprites used in this mod aren't even being used in a fast motion context, they're very obvious. Anti-aliasing can be found in a lot of the sprites as well, with something like the RPG having the aliased bits sitting right next to non-aliased ones. Suffice to say the graphical assets feel a bit all over the place right now.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 083927.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 083920.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 090757.png
Stray pixels here, right under the left hand's thumb.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 083911.png
The hand along with the battery should probably be resized here, since it's closer to you in perspective.

Noticed the weapon blocks under the ammo in the HUD also doesn't light up depending on the weapon equipped.

The scoped view sprites aren't adjusted for movement.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 093444.png

Noticed you don't get the fancy HUD thingy when you get a new weapon.
Last edited by ZikShadow on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zemakat
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Zemakat »

I adore this mod! The pink demon replacement variety (with civilian zombies) feels amazing, and I love the coexistence of regular undead guards with Spec Ops members.

For credit clarity, I'd like to say that I remember creating some Z-Spec pistol zombie sprites, and I believe those sprites are likely the ones I did. However, I wasn't the only one. Skelegant enhanced the firing flash frames.

Before you add credit: Please remember to add me in as "Zemakat". I consider Remaker to be an outdated alias. ^^

(If you're reading this, Skelegant: Thank you again.)
Xim

Post by Xim »

I've updated the credits in the main post, sorry about the mistakes. Thank you for the feedback everyone. I'll consider continuing to work on this and make improvements.
Zemakat

Post by Zemakat »

Xim wrote:I've updated the credits in the main post, sorry about the mistakes. Thank you for the feedback everyone. I'll consider continuing to work on this and make improvements.
Thank you lots! =]

I also agree that the grenades feel slightly odd to use. They seem a bit slow to me.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Unrelated to the mod, but I'm amused you used D4 environment to represent a D3 themed mod for the banner image, there.
Zemakat

Post by Zemakat »

I have two suggestions on possible improvements! I wish to clarify that these are subjective and are not requirements:

1. Increasing the health of Spec Ops zombies. I know they are meant to have less health than standard zombie guards to compensate for their tactical knowledge, but playing with NashGore had me notice that the pistol gibs them, simply without their own XDeath sprites. Perhaps increasing the health of both types could prevent this if desired?

2. A civilian zombie in the Zombieman replacement category. I thought of a non-security zombie being able to spawn in place of guards/Z-Spec Ops, with reduced health to fit closer to the expendable nature of the original zombie troopers. For a ranged attack, they might be able to vomit blood or toss intestines as a projectile. I know this isn't included in Doom 3, as it's more of an aesthetic thing to make civilian zombies have more abundance if you wish.
Ginji23

Post by Ginji23 »

This mod is exactly what I've been looking for in a Doom mod for a while, so I jumped at the opportunity to play with it as soon as it was released! Just finished Doom 2 the way Id Did with this mod: Pistol starts, no saves, and ultra-violence. I loved every second of it, but I have a few critiques I would like to make. This is your mod, so do with it what you wanna do, but these are my honest suggestions after playing through 32 maps with it. I also played with a couple other mods, which I will list at the end.
First of all, the hitscanners are a little bit crazy--particularly the Zsec machinegunners. They have a nasty habit of parking themselves in one location and sniping the player across the map with impeccable accuracy. Once they initially react to you, they often fire the instant you round the corner. Maybe a slight nerf in their accuracy and/or damage is due, and perhaps a slight delay in their subsequent reactions to the player.

Secondly, it is somewhat difficult to see the Vagary's projectile, especially with the bundled DarkDoomZ. Additionally, the Vagary does not light up in the dark when it fires, which makes sense continuously since she does not fire a gun or fireball, however it makes it very difficult to react to her from long distances. Perhaps making her firing animation and her projectile fullbright would fix this, albeit a bit of an ugly and discontinuous fix?

Thirdly, I don't know what caused it and I was unable to recreate it, but a couple times while using the double-barrel shotgun and reloading the game would indefinitely hand. I was using Gzdoom 4.5.0, and as I will state at the end of this post I had a few other mods. I could not tell you with 100% certainty what I was doing when these occurred, and I do not have a log, however I believe I was using single-fire mode, reloading a single shell, and teleporting. Hope this information helps.
Fourthly, it is very hard to tell the difference between a Pain Elemental and Cacodemon. I understand many of these sprites were not created by you, however their similar sprites make it difficult to differentiate them, especially in a crowd, and even moreso with the bundled DarkDoomZ. I imagine it's something I just have to get used to, but after 32 maps I still wasn't entirely confident whether the enemy was a Cacodemon or Pain Elemental at a glance.

Fourth of all, some projectiles have deceptively large hitboxes. Some of the worst contenders are the Imps and Vulgars. Often times they will fire a projectile and hit the player, even though visually it looks no where near them. They also have a silly habit of attacking near corners, but the projectile seems to disappear right in front of them because of its large hitbox. I understand this is probably to make them easily shootable, however I did not find myself trying to destroy their projectiles very often. The only one I really did this with frequently were the Revenants.

Now on to some more minor complaints.
Firstly, I feel as if the Lost Soul and and Forgotten One should create light, just like the Lost Soul does in Gzdoom. Their fire appears somewhat pathetic without a warm glow around it.

Second of all, the Fat Zombie AKA Zombie Worker uses the sprite for the Bloated Butcher from Blood. Its appearance is somewhat jarring to me next to all the other Demon replacements. Like I said earlier, I understand you didn't create these sprites, and that it's probably difficult to find a fitting Fat Zombie sprite, however its style really clashes with the others. I'm not against this enemy's existence--I certainly appreciate a beefier Demon replacement in the spawn pool--just thought it was worth mentioning.

Third of all, some of the enemy/thing replacements can be somewhat map breaking. This is par for the course with any gameplay mod, just thought it was worth mentioning. For example, a room full of Spectres becomes a room full of Wraiths. Considering their nasty habit of attacking the instant they teleport, it can be a HUGE pain to clear out a large group of them. A large amount of space to fall back on is needed. The Archvile can also be real nasty in tight spaces, as its fire columns deal massive damage. This could be a potential softlock in certain maps unless the player gets very good RNG with which attack it casts. Lastly, the Sentry Bot that replaces Partial-Invisibility sphere is a welcome change in my opinion, however some maps rely on them for hitscanner ambushes. This is another potential softlock. I don't expect these to be changed necessarily, just figured they were worth noting as well.

Fourth minor critique: Some monsters can infight with their own species. This is understandable for the Lost Soul replacements, however it is odd for the Mancubi, especially since they often are placed next to each or in the same room by mappers. Perhaps setting a flag so enemies such as the Mancubi cannot infight? Unless this was part of your design, in which case do as you will.

Fifth. Monsters can infight with Archviles. I should note that I never actually played Doom 3, so they may have been able to do this in the original game, but it is somewhat jarring considering that this behavior was absent in Doom II.

Sixth. Very minor. Since the Machinegun sometimes replaces the Box of Bullets, it can screw up the map progression. However, this assumes that the player is using pistol starts and that the player did not obtain the Machinegun or Chaingun before encountering Box of Bullets. Typically Box of Bullets are only distributed after the player has obtained a Chaingun, but not always. Pistol starts being unbalanced with a gameplay mod is quite par for the course, however I was able to do it and still had fun, so I thought I'd mention it too.

Finally, a suggestion. Perhaps you should implement brightmaps? They would work especially well with this mod considering DarkDoomZ is included with the install. I understand that this would add more work to your plate, but I believe it would significantly increase the quality of your mod!

To wrap this up, I apologize to bring only critiques to the table rather than compliments. However, for the sake of making this post as minimal as possible, I stuck to just the critiques. If I didn't complain about a feature, I want you to understand that I loved it instead! This feels like a faithful conversion of the gameplay of Doom 3 into the OG Dooms, with creative liberties being taken in just the right places! Keep doing you, Xim!

And finally
Spoiler: Mod List
Edit: I also meant to mention that the Chaingun Commando's tentacle arm functions... very jarringly to say the least. I did not know of its existence until twenty some-odd maps in. When it finally hit me, I thought it was a bug--I suddenly and seemingly teleported across the room and died as a result. Perhaps this mechanic should be refined a bit, as it feels extremely clunky, disorienting, and inconsistent.
Last edited by Ginji23 on Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turin Turambar

Post by Turin Turambar »

I'm impressed with how well done is this mod. Good job with weapons, enemies and even the world changes. In fact, I liked they are in three separate files so you can play with one or the other.

That said, as I played more with the mod I noticed how maybe it follows too closely Doom 3 in balance. Which is fine if you play 'Doom 3 like' maps, but if you play some more open maps, you start to be sniped by shotgunners, you start to be annoyed by the faster firing Archvile, or by the slower RoF rocket launcher, etc. Maybe some optional adjustments could be done. I think that making the changes to be only cosmetic only would be silly, but maybe a compromised between the two gameplay model can be found? It would 'break' less maps.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”