[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

I have two suggestions for the mod:

1: I think the drops should have a little more custom control close to that of colorful hell where you can have only a light amount of drops, just to help players fine-tune the challenge a little more.

2: I had a thought while playing Pandemonia in a seperate saved run, that the gradual "game level" mechanic could be put to interesting use with Champions, where a sub-menu within the main mod options could let the players have small tweaks happen over time as they kill enemies and complete levels that shift the weight of player-specified mutations and similar options, and possibly even turn on mutations from a disabled state after increasing this "levelling difficulty" sub-variable to certain levels through their violent adventure.

Lastly, this is an awesome mod and I got to say it's one of the coolest ones for it's mixture capacity with so many mods!
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

Greetings, love the mini mod so far, I approach to describe a rather unfortunate situation when using in tandem the creep generating option along with a few gore mods like nashs/spaghetti gore mods, making a white/dark green champions explode into gibs, spawns a pile of creep pools from each gib, although an interesting final act mechanic but it slows down the frame-rates considerably before cleaning up seconds later or possibly stalling the game, it's rather inconvenient, was wondering if you can do something about this?
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Consistently getting a VM abort and have no idea what's causing it. Seems to happen when kill enemies in this save but it doesn't always happen.

Mod list:
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/ZdtlMKG[/imgur]
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

Someone64 wrote:Consistently getting a VM abort and have no idea what's causing it. Seems to happen when kill enemies in this save but it doesn't always happen.
I had something similar happen to me, it seems to be a problem between mk-crits and Gearbox, shutting off critical hits seemed to fix the problem when I did it.
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

I get the same problem as above in a different situation - when I enable effect choker in Pandemonia and close the menu or start a new game.
Looking at the code, that line is missing a null check, so if another spawn handler removes the object, the game crashes.

Edit: There's another address zero crash in champ_blue line 104 (missing null check for target).
mpcomp
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by mpcomp »

Greetings Mik

First things first... from the time i discovered it ...i believe v2.2 ...it has been my go to mod..albeit in conjuction with monster mutator mod colourfull hell (mostly before the bundle overhaul introduction...bonus Kudos on that) for the GZDoom port [mik's chmapions v2.2 -present] . So TLDR; i can almost make a proud boast ..its a mandatory experience... so even more Kudos for the hard work of bringing variety to the doom game play experience.

With that said however i am finally also typing down a consistent side effect of your mod post v2.666 in conjunction with the Guncaster mod which is a visible nerf effect added to guncaster brimstone sword strat fire shockwave (reproducible) ,limiting the sword ancient flame's splash damage and range, Either removing your mod or downgrading to mik's champions v2.666 or even a lesser version resolves this behaviour.

I hope that the problem will be troubleshooted and the future releases of your mod will resolve the incompatibility.

Regards

mpcomp
ClessxAlghazanth

Post by ClessxAlghazanth »

Is Champions compatible with Colorful Hell ? I have been experimenting combinations of Champions with various mods , and while it seems to run in harmony with DRLA monsters and Shades of Doom , with Colorful Hell in which monsters are tiered by , well , color ; Champions overwrites the color of the monster , and you'd have to look at Target Spy bar to understand what it actually is (Blue Exploding(yellow) Cacodemon which is yellow as a final result)
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

ClessxAlghazanth wrote:Is Champions compatible with Colorful Hell ? I have been experimenting combinations of Champions with various mods , and while it seems to run in harmony with DRLA monsters and Shades of Doom , with Colorful Hell in which monsters are tiered by , well , color ; Champions overwrites the color of the monster , and you'd have to look at Target Spy bar to understand what it actually is (Blue Exploding(yellow) Cacodemon which is yellow as a final result)
You can disable color changes in mod options.
I think there's also a special compat setting with Colorful Hell that displays CH color icon above the monster in addition to its champion icon.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

Hi again, I have a couple of more suggestions to make:

1: I think taking a page from the A.I director "type" mods could be brought in by giving players an option for the difficulty to change depending on the ammo/health and armor the player has at the end of each level, if several of them in example are set at maximum value, then the generation chance of champions would increase, subject to toggles of course so a player could have the change be very minor, or punish them for doing so well! Options I think would work well besides generation chance would be trigger tolerance for what the mod code is looking for, if it looks for max stuff, or just health,ammo or armor individually, or only half values, and if the increase happens for all champion types globally, or only specific ones.

2: A new type of experimental champion that is random and sporadic, having chaotic speed increases AND decreases, but it shows resistance to pain triggers. I call it the crack champion.
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

Someone64 wrote:Consistently getting a VM abort and have no idea what's causing it. Seems to happen when kill enemies in this save but it doesn't always happen.

Mod list:
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/ZdtlMKG[/imgur]
I also have a setup where I consistently get this error. Combination I have is SWWM-GZ, Corruption Cards, LegenDoomLite and Champions mod. When I choose for the "Evil Crew" card, the game will throw this exception as soon as I kill one of the spawned "Evil Crew" members. Very odd why tho.
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

Long time no see, I would like to make a suggestion for Pink Mutation, playing Brutal Doom for example doesn't allow Resurrection due to gibbing so to make the mutation consistent, I would suggest re-adding the Healing over time with Self and Area of Affect for others to keep them relevant (If you cannot fix resurrection), think of it this way, if you let a pink champion get away, they could potentially resurrect an entire room of corpses, if they don't sacrifice their health more then they can regenerate it.
lu88lu

Post by lu88lu »

is this compatible with DRLA?
Randy Andy

Post by Randy Andy »

Let me just start by saying i love this mod. It rekindled my desire to play classic doom again. So thankyou for all the care and work you put into this over the years!

I don't know if you're still actively working on this but i have a quick question/suggestion, Is it possible to blacklist certain enemies from getting certain effects? For example blacklisting cyberdemons from having the ability to split into 2 on death. (quite a common and annoying occurence) I can't imagine a clean way of putting that into the options menu but if there's something i can do to make that happen please let me know. I'd rather not completely disable a certain champion type just because i dont want it on 1 or 2 enemies. anyways, thankyou again.
OmegaZeroXIII

Post by OmegaZeroXIII »

Good. I have been presenting this error "VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero" which is triggered by "champions/handled/handler.txt line 331".

I use the DOOM RPG Roguelike Arsenal modpack and the error every 5 times that I start the mod once does not happen but when entering another level of one the error occurs. I thought it would be the modpack but it's happening to me in others even just using the DOOM Roguelike Arsenal.
Attachments
imagen_2022-09-01_134654805.png
Exibius
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Exibius »

Someone64 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:01 pmMod list:
Spoiler:
Totally random question, but what are the few select mods that I don't know used in this load order? I know most of these. I know levelinfo, graveyard, gearbox, warm reception, RPG lite and its patches, legendoom, CH, nashgore, wartrophies, CC, and mk's crits and champions mods, but what is ldarmor and WT-Ding? Google has no idea what I'm talking about if I search these. Just curious if it's something worth plopping into my load order, from time to time. Doesn't matter how minor the mod. Or whatever these even are. Sorry if I sound clueless.

EDIT: Completely guessing here, ldarmor is something to do with legendoom, and WT-Ding is just a sound effect patch for war trophies or something. Tried to make an educated guess. Still can't find the sources, both on Legendoom's post and War Trophies'.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”