HXDD: A Heretic & Hexen WAD Merger, Updated: 10/16/2023 [0.7.2-Beta]

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lemon King

HXDD: A Heretic & Hexen WAD Merger, Updated: 10/16/2023 [0.7.2-Beta]

Post by Lemon King »

HXDD takes everything from Heretic, Hexen and other games. Then arranges and converts them into a new GZDOOM compatible format, allowing you play them as if they were a single game. There is a fair amount of code acting as glue to make everything functional - not to mention numerous (optional) added features.

This project is inspired by WADSMOOSH by JP LeBreton. Go check it out too.

Currently HXDD supports the base classes from Heretic and Hexen. If you have Hexen II PAK files, these classes will be playable via the menu but are still under development.

Features
  • Unified Game & Episode Structure
    Play Heretic, Hexen and Deathkings from one menu with any class from either game!
  • Hexen II Leveling
    A highly expanded version of the leveling system found in Hexen II.
  • Selectable Armor Modes
    Simple and AC, selected in New Game.
  • Mod Support via PlayerSheets
    Allows for cross game pickups and actors and expanded PlayerClass definitions. PlayerSheets will allow your mod to support HXDD only features without needing to expand actors or make another version of your mod. Just create a new json under playersheets/.json and you're ready to start!
  • Korax Localization
    Select between English, French, German, and Japanese for languages used by Hexen 64 Localizations.
  • Title Screen Customization
    Change the Artwork and Music to any of the games in the series, also has support for using Steam's Hero Artwork as Titles.
Current Upcoming & Planned Features
  • Hexen II Classes
    You can use many of the classes now in a WORK IN PROGRESS state. Focusing on finishing these classes are next for the major gameplay updates.
  • PWAD Mode
    HXDD will build out to a slimmed DOOM compatible pwad, sometime during beta or post 1.0 release.
  • Heretic II Corvus
    Currently in an prototyping phase, due to the amount of work required.
Spoiler:
Upcoming Features
Menu & UI: Further updates and streamlining.
Completion of the remaining Hexen II Classes (Paladin, Crusader, Necromancer, Assassin, Demoness) and Pickups.
PWAD Mode

Requirements
GZDOOM 4.11

Download & Source
https://github.com/Lemon-King/HXDD/releases

Usage
  1. Launch HXDD.exe
  2. Select your GZDOOM Folder
  3. Select your Heretic wad File (heretic.wad)
  4. Select your Hexen wad File (hexen.wad)
  5. Select your Hexen DeathKings wad file (hexdd.wad)
  6. Choose the options you want to utilize - if any.
  7. Click on Build HXDD to start building hxdd.ipk3 - this may take more than a few minutes.
  8. When complete, copy hxdd.ipk3 to where you keep your wads for GZDOOM.
  9. Run GZDOOM and select HXDD.

Your selections will be stored for the next time you run it.
Hexen II Usage
When using Hexen II PAK files with HXDD you will need Noesis by Rich Whitehouse.
Download and place the Noesis zip file in the same folder as HXDD's exe.
Select the PAK files in the application and ensure Enable Hexen II is checked.
HXDD will use Noesis to open PAK files and export model data for use with GZDOOM.

Screenshots
Spoiler:
Gameplay Videos
Spoiler:
Last edited by Lemon King on Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: HXDD: A Heretic and Hexen Wad Merger

Post by NightFright »

So this is basically something like Wadsmooshed for Heretic and Hexen, then? With the difference that you can have Heretic weapons in Hexen maps and vice versa?
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

Mostly. Weapons and ammo change depending on your class. Using Corvus on maps with Hexen weapons and ammo will allow you to have Heretic equivalents and vise-versa for Hexen classes.

This is an video from an older version showing off some of the classes in different maps.
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

I can't seem to run this. Every time, it complains "Error: A .INI error has occured, please check your installation and try again." "A Java Exception has occured." other java programs run fine, but not this one. I've updated Java to the newest. Help?
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

I used OpenJDK 16 when writing this. Updating to Java 16 should resolve the issue, I'll use a lower version of JDK next time.
e: Reproduced your issue on my end too, getting this fixed today/tonight.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

is there a compiled version? and I mean the .jar file, not the .ipk3, like, I really have no idea how to compile Github stuff, so I can't just use the HXDD.jar file on the wads I have, I see a HXDD archive but it says it's extension is something else, and not .jar, it says it's .settings, sorry if it bothers you, I'm just very tech illiterate I think
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

I had first release marked as 0.1 pre-release and an issue was found. I just fixed and release 0.2-Alpha which retargets the required Java version to 8.
Current issue is if you run HXDD by double clicking it you won't see a console window displaying output, running it by command line will display output.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Has this been tested on case-sensitive systems, i.e. Linux?

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Ah I see what is going wrong, here.
https://github.com/Lemon-King/HXDD/blob ... va#L38-L39

I think I should point out that Windows has native compatibility to handle folder separators with "/", instead of "\", this makes it much easier to create cross-platform applications. Such special handling does not exist reverse-wise in Linux unless you run an application using Wine.

In Windows, c:/windows/system32 is a valid path, though not all applications may fully recognize it.
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

Thanks for that find, its now fixed in 0.3 Alpha. I didn't do any real testing on other OS environments.
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

0.4 Alpha has a fix for MultiClassMace error on load. Also added Hexen compatibility palette is also created for wads which use custom palette textures with editor spawn numbers allowing for use of both Heretic & Hexen things.
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

HXDD Alpha 0.5

Code: Select all

- Hexen's SKY3 will no longer overwrite Heretic's SKY3
- Fixed SKYFOG and FOGMAP in Hexen / HexDD
- Added missing Heretic Mobs to MultiSpawners
- Hexen and HexDD should no longer overwrite each others WIN#MSG
- BANNER1 is no longer classified as NullTexture in Heretic
- Player class detection will now continue to correctly work when starting a new game under a different class then loading a saved game.
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

Pushing Alpha 0.6 a tad early to fix a crash.
HXDD Alpha 0.6

Code: Select all

- Fixed a crash where some entities spawning before the player could cause a crash
- Lowered generated editor spawnnums to prevent GZDoom from underflowing spawnnum ids
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

For what it's worth - it successfully ran in Linux. (That is the only place where I have any Java at all - I don't like running Java in Windows)

I don't know if it got all the assets correctly though - for instance there is no preview of Corvus when I select him on the player screen.

Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

Rachael wrote:I don't know if it got all the assets correctly though - for instance there is no preview of Corvus when I select him on the player screen.
I haven't setup the conversion for Corvus on the menu currently due to it needing separate grAB coords. Its on my TODO list, along with proper Heretic / Hexen armor controls in zscript.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”