Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
29%
Area
6%
Rapid
29%
Tech
24%
Support
No votes
Melee
12%

Total votes: 17

Tesculpture

Re: Bullet-Eye - v0.11.5b - Frozen Wrath - 7/8/21

Post by Tesculpture »

Sorry but there's a new weird problem now; opening a locked chest doesn't actually cost you a key.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Fixed.

EDIT: Well yes but actually no.
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Tesculpture wrote:Sorry but there's a new weird problem now; opening a locked chest doesn't actually cost you a key.
The bug is now fixed, but currently only in the development version. Another bug with co-op popped up which causes the out of sync error, and will be looked into and fixed for the next update. I will add in at least one new enemy and possibly a weapon for that update as well, so it's not just a minor update that people will have to go through the trouble of downloading only for a small fix. For now, enjoy requirement free chests!
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Been playing this with Augur:Zenith mapset. Holy hell, talk about a match made in Heaven!
Spoiler:
Honestly loving the differences since I last played this. Will admit this is now Contra levels of hard now - got creamed three times on the lowest difficulty level in the first few minutes. Once I'd got a few upgrades and weapon options it went a lot smoother, but even the regular mooks tank ice shots and move fast, so they had a habit of draining my health really quickly.
I did notice the ITEMS tally stubbornly stuck at 0% throughout my run. I don't know whether this is because I was missing some vital items that had that flag, or whether the amount of coins and stuff flying out of the enemies made what little I picked up count for nothing as an average. Not sure, might have to dig further into it.

The weapon variety is awesome, and loving the weapon limit. I know some people hate this but I'm tired of mods where I have to scroll through 20 different options to find that gun I want, especially when they are all variants of assault rifles. All the weapons I found felt unique and had a unique selling point and purpose. I might make a video on this as the whole experience is insane.

Final word - Galaxy Slicer is objectively the best weapon in every way that matters and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
Linz

Post by Linz »

Say,what's the command to give the BLOODLETTER MAGNUM

I wanna test it out
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Vostyok wrote:Honestly loving the differences since I last played this.
Thanks for playing! This also reminded me of something I thought of a few times. I think one reason many people do not play the mod is due to the fact that they gave it a try in the past, didn't like it much, and never looked back. It has definitely changed a lot since then and for the better, so I am sure it would be a more enjoyable experience if they gave it another shot!
Will admit this is now Contra levels of hard now - got creamed three times on the lowest difficulty level in the first few minutes. Once I'd got a few upgrades and weapon options it went a lot smoother, but even the regular mooks tank ice shots and move fast, so they had a habit of draining my health really quickly.
The enemies here are a lot more aggressive than in most other mods since they don't just use the Doom standard "take a few steps and shoot" tactics. However, I can probably tone some down a bit to make starting out easier. A few enemies are still being looked at as well due to their behavior not feeling as unique as their brethren. The roster isn't fully replaced either - and only once I replace all the monsters will I feel comfortable labeling Bullet-Eye as 1.0.
I did notice the ITEMS tally stubbornly stuck at 0% throughout my run. I don't know whether this is because I was missing some vital items that had that flag, or whether the amount of coins and stuff flying out of the enemies made what little I picked up count for nothing as an average. Not sure, might have to dig further into it.
The coins and gems do not count towards the item count, but it's odd that you didn't happen to find a single item to count towards the tally. Perhaps it could be some bug related to the map, but I haven't played the mapset you were testing this on, so I can't say for sure. I'll be sure to give it a shot myself to see if I can find any problems.
The weapon variety is awesome, and loving the weapon limit. I know some people hate this but I'm tired of mods where I have to scroll through 20 different options to find that gun I want, especially when they are all variants of assault rifles. All the weapons I found felt unique and had a unique selling point and purpose. I might make a video on this as the whole experience is insane.
I am glad you have enjoyed the weapons! I am happy with how most of them turned out, but there are a few outliers. A small number need a rework as they are uninteresting (Metal Monstrosity for example), or some that need a revamp due to them being outdated and feel plain since they were added when the mod was still in its infancy (Repeaters). I'm also considering adding a 4th weapon slot due to the growing number of weapons and to grant the player more choice, but this will definitely be the last slot added so it won't just start to feel like vanilla Doom with the 7+ weapon slots.
Final word - Galaxy Slicer is objectively the best weapon in every way that matters and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
You're not the only player who feels that way. It's definitely a lot better with the recent changes I made to it!

Linz wrote:Say,what's the command to give the BLOODLETTER MAGNUM

I wanna test it out
"summon/give BloodletterMagnumWeapon"

To summon any weapon, simply type its name followed by Weapon. So if you want to summon the Grind Halberd for example, that would be "summon GrindHalberdWeapon"
Linz

Post by Linz »

Can I say,both the Decimator and the Bloodletter Magnum are like

Really super cool

Every new weapon just makes me more excited for more
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

The increase in weapon slots sounds like a good idea to me, honestly. Six different weapon categories is a lot, and it starts feeling a bit limiting when you can only have half of those - I tend to end up sticking with 'Power + Rapid + Area' a lot simply because it covers all bases. That said, the idea you shared on Discord of '1 slot per weapon type' is also rather appealing - perhaps it could be a patch or mutator?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I am wondering if the last slot could be a special slot, reserved for special weapons, or perhaps melee weapons. Either way, it may have been my playstyle but I tended to find myself looking for green ammo and blue ammo exclusively - I found purple and especially yellow weapons a little too niche to rely on. A dedicated weapon slot that uses ammo types in different ways, or combination weapons (a rapid fire rifle that mounts an area subweapon, or a yellow slowing/debuffing weapon that combos with a red get-out-of-trouble-free option on top would be amazing.)
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

I've decided to go with a 4th primary weapon slot. This is available for testing in the dev version right now. A proper release should be ready by tomorrow the latest if everything works out well - but so far the changes haven't seemed to cause any problems yet, so things are looking good.

Also, the HUD layout was adjusted to account for the 4th slot and also to not take up so much space towards the center.
-The Bullet-Eye Mode weapon icon was removed, with the Equipment Lock indicator taking its place. Said icon was put in place mainly for use for other characters, but new playable characters probably won't see the light of day for quite a while, if at all.
-The Weapon Energy Gauge is now placed on top of the magazine counter, making the most sense and also not bleeding in to the center as it was before.
-The Bullet-Eye Emblem was moved to the top of the Bullet-Eye Energy bar, and can now also be switched to a flashing bar frame instead with an option if one prefers.
-The HUD elements on the lower right side of the screen were spaced more closely together in general to squeeze out a bit more screen real estate.
-Strike Orb indicators were made smaller and moved to the right of the player's portrait.
-The equipment paper doll was lowered to be just above the player portrait, and can be moved to the right of the Strike Orb indicators with an option.
-The equipment "buff" indicators (one seen above the equipment paper doll in the below screenshot) were moved downwards to allow more space to be available in the middle and upper left regions of the screen. In general, I tried to free up that space since most players tend to set their War Trophies info in that area.
-Note that the Weapon and Equipment Enhancer indicators on the upper right are optional, and can be toggled on or off.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/IhrgppX[/imgur]

I am also working on some more help screens, as some of the info in the mod is either undocumented, or just rather vague. One thing that definitely needs to be mentioned is that the player always has access to the Frost Snap (starter weapon) by pressing the next number after the listed slots. For example, in the stable release, players can switch to the Frost Snap by pressing 4. In the dev version and future release, it will be accessed with key 5.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

These are from the two previous Dev builds rather than the current one, but I have some feedback/bugs to report:
-The Blaze Stream's L2 effect (Fire DOT restoring ammo to the mag) does not work when you have the Ring Of Intense Flames equipped.

-The Crash Comet's ability to shatter Ice Bulwarks to create spikes doesn't seem to work. I tried shooting Ice Bulwarks with it but nothing happened.

-Several rapid weapons (e.g. the Viper Wave and the Hunting Laser) have fixed spread patterns, meaning they derive no benefit from the Steady Aim Gloves. Could the gloves grant them some other kind of buff?

-I had a bizare bug once whereby the clones spawned by a Rad Terror were spawned with their health buffed to 80,000, making them practically impossible to kill. I was running BE with Corruption Cards though, so it could've been that.

-Rad Terrors look kinda out of place appearing out of lava. Could you perhaps make a version for lava with a different appearance called the Volcanic Terror?

-The Wilhelm screams are hilarious...but when a Pain Elemental is high in the air and constant spawning Neosquids, the result is non-stop constant Wilhelm screams as the Neosquids fall one by one to the ground.

-Many more effects/abilities could use a visual/sound FX to let you know when they trigger or are otherwise active; e.g. unique sounds that tell you the Hidden Ace has triggered/is ready.

-Several weapons are still gripped by bare Doomguy hands instead of Valnos's gloves.

-The Shotwave's sprites desperately need refining - the perspective lines of the barrel(s?) are all wrong, and with Valnos's arm/wrist visible on one side and the tips of his fingers visible on the other, it looks like he has freakishly long fingers.

-Valnos yells aggressively when kicking or using the Quick Strike, but is completely silent when using the Galaxy Slicer, Grind Halberd or Bloodletter Magnum melee.

-Some explosion effects seem kind of underwhelming, such as the Crash Comet's missile and the Giga Crush's explosion. Contrast this to the L3 Sniper Cannon's fully charged scoped shot, which creates a massive expanding fireball that looks as deadly as it actually is.

-Speaking of which and on a positive note, I do love the Sniper Cannon. I have a thing for powerful Anti-Material sniper rifles in FPS games, and this one hits the bullseye (pun intended) almost perfectly.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Tesculpture wrote:These are from the two previous Dev builds rather than the current one, but I have some feedback/bugs to report:
-The Blaze Stream's L2 effect (Fire DOT restoring ammo to the mag) does not work when you have the Ring Of Intense Flames equipped.
Seems to work, but it appears the effect was placed on the fire projectiles themselves, and not the damage over time effect from the Fire element as it was previously. I'll look into it.
-The Crash Comet's ability to shatter Ice Bulwarks to create spikes doesn't seem to work. I tried shooting Ice Bulwarks with it but nothing happened.
Fixed. The issue was due to leftover code when I was trying to change something related to the bulwarks.
-Several rapid weapons (e.g. the Viper Wave and the Hunting Laser) have fixed spread patterns, meaning they derive no benefit from the Steady Aim Gloves. Could the gloves grant them some other kind of buff?
The Viper Wave does gain a benefit from the gloves, although it's probably not too noticeable. As for the Hunting Laser, I'll add a different benefit for it.
-I had a bizare bug once whereby the clones spawned by a Rad Terror were spawned with their health buffed to 80,000, making them practically impossible to kill. I was running BE with Corruption Cards though, so it could've been that.
I haven't encountered anything like that yet, but I do notice some enemies get a higher health bonus than intended from certain factors such as Dread Level and the "Boost Health Every 3 Maps" option, so I am going to adjust the health values for those, especially on the lower tier enemies.
-Rad Terrors look kinda out of place appearing out of lava. Could you perhaps make a version for lava with a different appearance called the Volcanic Terror?
I could do that. Or I could just spawn an entirely different looking lava-based enemy altogether, since I did want to use the nice Magma Golem sprites from Shadowcaster
-The Wilhelm screams are hilarious...but when a Pain Elemental is high in the air and constant spawning Neosquids, the result is non-stop constant Wilhelm screams as the Neosquids fall one by one to the ground.
I have plans to change the Pain Elemental into another type of enemy soon - which will not spawn Neosquids. Other than that, I'll add some preventative measures so that the squids don't start falling as soon as they are spawned.
-Many more effects/abilities could use a visual/sound FX to let you know when they trigger or are otherwise active; e.g. unique sounds that tell you the Hidden Ace has triggered/is ready.
Sure, I can do that.
-Several weapons are still gripped by bare Doomguy hands instead of Valnos's gloves.
Yes, I did want to get them all replaced before I released that major update a few months ago, but I was convinced to release it at the time, since it was nearing almost 2 years without an update. I am working on editing the sprites to replace them with the new hands.
-The Shotwave's sprites desperately need refining - the perspective lines of the barrel(s?) are all wrong, and with Valnos's arm/wrist visible on one side and the tips of his fingers visible on the other, it looks like he has freakishly long fingers.
It's definitely a weapon that I wanted to get sprite replacements for, as the sprite is an edit someone did that basically glued together two of the same shotgun Eriance/Amuscaria did.
-Valnos yells aggressively when kicking or using the Quick Strike, but is completely silent when using the Galaxy Slicer, Grind Halberd or Bloodletter Magnum melee.
I'll add the sounds. It's definitely something I had in mind, but kept being pushed aside when brainstorming other ideas - despite how simple they would be to add.
-Some explosion effects seem kind of underwhelming, such as the Crash Comet's missile and the Giga Crush's explosion. Contrast this to the L3 Sniper Cannon's fully charged scoped shot, which creates a massive expanding fireball that looks as deadly as it actually is.
I'll make the explosions for those two examples look nicer then! I'll take a quick look at anything else that may need work, of course.
-Speaking of which and on a positive note, I do love the Sniper Cannon. I have a thing for powerful Anti-Material sniper rifles in FPS games, and this one hits the bullseye (pun intended) almost perfectly.
I still think the L3 effect for it is a little basic, so I may change it or at least add to it if I think of something. Glad you like it, though!

Thanks for all the feedback! I am working on fixing up what I can now, but not sure if this will push back the update until tomorrow. But better to have everything stable than to release something that can crash at any moment's notice.
Linz

Post by Linz »

"It's definitely a weapon that I wanted to get sprite replacements for, as the sprite is an edit someone did that basically glued together two of the same shotgun Eriance/Amuscaria did."

I always did find that sprite funny though

Any other weapons you've thought about getting new sprites for?
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Linz wrote:"It's definitely a weapon that I wanted to get sprite replacements for, as the sprite is an edit someone did that basically glued together two of the same shotgun Eriance/Amuscaria did."

I always did find that sprite funny though

Any other weapons you've thought about getting new sprites for?
Other than the Shotwave, the main ones are the Dogfighter Missile and Metal Monstrosity (I want to make it look more like a makeshift weapon). Everything else is fine for the most part, but there are a few I want to touch up or add some minor details/animations to, such as making the Toxic Storm's fire animation look smoother, adding sparks/electric after the Crush Blast fires, and either making the Viper Wave eyes flash as they fire, or open their "mouths" - but that would take some more sprite editing since I'd need to redesign the sprite a bit to account for a mouth. Which isn't a big deal since I made the sprites! Otherwise, the Volley Shot and Storm Mine could be improved upon with a "paint over".
Mor'Ladim

Re: Bullet-Eye - v0.11.6 - Frozen Wrath - 8/9/21 (4 Weapons?

Post by Mor'Ladim »

v0.11.6 - 8/9/21
=WEAPONS=
+GENERAL+
-Players can now carry 4 primary weapons. The back up Frost Snap weapon is now located on slot 5.
-Increased drop rate of elite weapons.
-Rebalanced fire element effects. Fire element embers now have a chance to spawn, rather than every time the fire element deals damage.
-Lowered Void instant kill effect chance.
-Added very slow and double growth rates. Some weapons already utilize the new rates.
+BLAZE STREAM+
-Clarified L2 effect text. The weapon has a chance to restore ammo into the magazine from the weapon's flames, not the Fire element burn effect.
-L2 now also increases range slightly.
+BLOODLETTER MAGNUM+
-Melee hits now have a sound and visual effects.
+CRASH COMET+
-Fixed issue causing ice spikes to not be released when destroying Ice Bulwarks. (Not sure if this was an issue in the stable release, but putting it here just in case)
+DECIMATOR+
-Picking up the weapon no longer grants 50 Power Ammo, and now only gives 8.
+DOGFIGHTER MISSILE+
-Lowered L3 explosion sounds.
+FROST SNAP+
-Increased damage radius of alt-fire powered shot.
+GALAXY SLICER+
-Moved weapon energy gauge in place of the magazine counter.
-Reduced swipe damage.
-Reduced damage of all energy waves and increased energy cost of small waves.
-Added melee exertion sounds, similar to Quick Strike.
+GRIND HALBERD+
-Moved weapon energy gauge in place of the magazine counter.
-Added melee exertion sounds, similar to Quick Strike.
+HYPER BURST+
-Increased accuracy.
+MAG SHURIKENS+
-Slightly increased damage of normal projectiles, and timing for bonus damage.
-Inreased projectile speed.
+METAL MONSTROSITY+
-Weapon has been slightly revamped.
+PLASMA SPIDERS+
-Plasma Spiders: Turret Enhancement equipment bonus is now compatible with the damage component of Deadeye Strikers (Gloves).
-Fixed Plasma Spiders not actually benefiting from Plasma Spiders Intensity or Support Tune Up equipment bonuses.
-Plasma Spiders pulse effect now requires 10 shots to trigger, but spiders now fire faster and the speed of their projectiles has been increased.
-Venom Strike equipment bonus was incorrectly also healing the player.
+REPEATERS+
-Ammo save chance increased slightly.
+RIOTOUS RIVETER+
-Increased accuracy slightly.
-Heated Rivets equipment bonus activates sooner.
+SPITFIRE+
-Now has the Fire element.
+STORM MINE+
-Fixed VM Abort related to L3.
+TRIPLE WYVERN+
-Built up pressure is no longer removed when switching weapons.
-Building pressure will no longer alert enemies.
+VAMPIRIC GAUNTLETS+
-No longer uses a magazine.
-Now heals to 14, up from 12. L2 now heals to 18, up from 16.
+VIPER WAVE+
-Reduced damage of L2 projectiles.
+WINGED REAVER+
-Increased amount of projectiles when triggered before enemy contact.
-Split projectiles no longer fly randomly, and instead fire out in a circular pattern.
-Increased main projectile damage.
-Increased split projectile damage before enemy contact as well as their radius to more easily hit enemies.
+BULLET-EYE+
-Reduced energy consumption and now fires an extra bullet. A full bar will now grant 8 seconds of fire, as opposed to 6.

=EQUIPMENT=
-Added new equipment bonuses.
-Increased drop rate of elite equipment items.
-Reduced rerolling cost to 5, down from 8.
-Equipment items found out in the world have a slightly higher chance to be L2. Those found in secret areas have an even better chance.
-Fixed Energizing Ammo (Accessory) description to clarify it returns ammo into a weapon's magazine, not that it grants primary ammo.
-Added sound when Hidden Ace (Accessory) triggers.
-Dread Troopers made into allies by the Dread Trooper Mail (Armor) now have an indicator stating which is an ally.
-Dread Trooper Mail (Armor) ally conversion chance reduced.
-Dread Trooper Mail (Armor) drop is now less common.
-It's not lore friendly, but Dread Troopers converted into allies by the Dread Trooper Mail (Armor) will now attack other Dread Troopers.

=ITEMS=
-Increased ammo drop rates, because not everyone plays with Dread Levels.
-Fixed locked chests not taking keys and VM Abort in co-op related to keys.
-Increased pick up radius of locked chest keys.
-Clarified what items Survivors grant.
-Shields/Energy Screens now give the player a longer period of invincibility after taking damage.
-Increased movement speed benefit from Speed Strike Orbs.
-Defense Strike Orbs now also grant extra invulnerability time after taking damage with or without shields.
-Increased drop rate on Old World Manuals from locked chests, as still not getting a single one halfway through a mapset is not good design.
-Increased Flash Guard Durability Upgrade value to 10, up from 5. Max amount increased to 150, up from 120.
-Increased Quick Melee Damage Upgrade value to 5, up from 3. Max amount increased to 100, up from 80.

=ENEMIES=
+CRUSHER+
-Reduced volume of Scrap Shield destruction.
+DREAD TROOPER+
-Reduced health bonus Dread Troopers receive from Dread Levels.
+MAG ROADER+
-Increased health.
-Fixed rare issue with Mag Roader's shots remaining when deflected with the Flash Guard or Quick Strike's parry.
+NEOSQUID+
-Fixed issue playing a certain sound when falling from a great distance after being launched from a Pain Elemental.
+RAD TERROR+
-Homing weapons no longer attempt to lock on to Rad Terrors that have not yet appeared.
+RIVETING GRENADIER+
-Fixed Riveting Grenadier's hologram some times not disappearing.

=MISC.=
-Fixed certain props being able to permanently disappear after heavy damage.
-Added support for liquids in Obsidian generated maps. This is in order for Rad Terrors to spawn on hurtfloors in said maps.
-Added mechanic where enemies are more likely to drop chests the more keys you have.
-Added additional help screens.
-Adjusted some locked chest spawns.
-Increased vending machine spawns for ammo.
-Fixed Equipment Status Panel displaying incorrect equipment repair costs.
-Modified some text colors for equipment bonuses to more easily differentiate between bonuses at a quick glance.
-Lowered volume of U.N. Squadron tracks.
-Added more vending machines and improved appearance of numbers on vending machine "messages".
-Added 5 new map music tracks.
-Added new options related to the HUD, such as Flash Guard meter size and Bullet-Eye Mode indicator position.
-Resized and repositioned Strike Orb indicators.
-Repositioned Equipment Paper Doll.
-Max Dread Level can now be set to 8.
New update is here! Unfortunately it doesn't bring a new weapon or enemy as I had planned, but does at least have 4 weapon slots for players to utilize and also some improvements, such as the Metal Monstrosity rework and Winged Reaver improvements. The locked chest bug where keys were not being taken has been fixed, as well as the desync that occurred in co-op related to chests. New help screens were added related to the Status Panels, and hopefully they inform the player a lot better than what was previously available. Though, it's still hard to give detailed information on such a small space - unless I make multiple pages for one topic, but that's not ideal.

I hope you all enjoy the update!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”