DBK01: Dungeon Synths (RC2)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Big Ol' Billy

DBK01: Dungeon Synths (RC2)

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

It was a dark and stormy night, and Doomguy had just spent another evening locked in his study, examining an ancient occult tome. But what was that strange, evil music coming from far away?

Dungeon Synths is a 9+1 map musical odyssey from the Digital Bards Krew, merging the worlds of medieval fantasy and analog synthesizers. The project targets ZDoom 2.8.1 but has also been tested with recent GZDoom versions. Dungeon Synths features an ogg soundtrack of music from classic RPGs, particularly Legend of Dragoon and Dark Cloud 2, newly arranged for vintage analog synthesizers and drum machines.
>>DOWNLOAD RC2<<

IWAD: Doom 2
Freelook: Permitted, not necessary
Jump: No
Crouch: No
Swimming: Required--if not using freelook, make sure to have swim up/down controls bound
Difficulty settings: Yes
Multi-player starts: 8 per map, currently untested
You are highly encouraged to play with sound and music on. Please also mod carefully, as there are several custom monsters and decorations.

MAP LIST
01. "Keys Open Doors" - Big Ol' Billy
02. "Sombersong Sewers" - BearInThaWoods
03. "Kasparov's Claim" - Scrangus McBrickdad
04. "Knights of the Patch Cables" - Big Ol' Billy
05. "Tone-Setter" - Scrangus McBrickdad and Glenzinho
06. "Low-Frequency Incantation" - Big Ol' Billy
07. "Synthful Journey" - Glenzinho
08. "Vlad's Carpathian Concert" - Doom_RO
09. "The Icon of Synth" - Big Ol' Billy
10. "Digital Bards Krew" (credits map) - 4MaTC and Big Ol' Billy

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Big Ol' Billy on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Endless

Re: DBK01: Dungeon Synths (RC1)

Post by Endless »

Ooooh is out! Nice job everyone. This looks lovely!
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

I haven't played this yet, but from a titlepic like that I can tell this is awesome!
4MaTC

Post by 4MaTC »

I must say that this is really touching, that you used part of my WIP map as credits! Looking forward to participate in next DBK
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

Important update! RC1.1 now up, which fixes a showstopping GZ-only bug on MAP02. Also I finally figured out how to do links properly lol
BearInThaWoods

Post by BearInThaWoods »

4MaTC wrote:I must say that this is really touching, that you used part of my WIP map as credits! Looking forward to participate in next DBK
It was a really incredible map, too good to pass up on. It's unfortunate that it didn't get a chance to be finished because it looked like it was going in a real good direction. Looking forward to seeing what you can bring when DBK02 begins!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Big Ol' Billy wrote:Important update! RC1.1 now up, which fixes a showstopping GZ-only bug on MAP02. Also I finally figured out how to do links properly lol
Out of curiosity, what was the showstopper? If there's behavioral differences between ZDoom 2.8.1 and current GZDoom I'd really like to know to evaluate if something needs addressing.
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

Graf Zahl wrote:Out of curiosity, what was the showstopper? If there's behavioral differences between ZDoom 2.8.1 and current GZDoom I'd really like to know to evaluate if something needs addressing.
I was a bit surprised as well, and haven't quite figured out the precise source of the problem. Here's the version that's broken in GZ only: RC1

The culprit is a lowering sector on MAP02 (sector #595), which is lowered by a walkover FloorLowerByValueTimes8 special (line #3343). In the RC1 version, this lowers down into a watery area, and the player falls down to grab the Yellow Key (if they don't grab it as it's lowering). In ZDoom 2.8.1, the player can fall down, enter the water, and keep going. In GZ (4.4.2, 4.5.0., and 4.6.0 were tested), the player is stuck once they fall down, as if the lines around the lowered sector are impassible or something is blocking. There are a lot of 3D floors in this area--it's a 3-floor tower with some other 3D sector detailing as well, and it's fairly tight in the space the player falls down into, so it may be that a 3D floor is just slightly blocking the player's movement. But the Z2.8.1 vs. GZ difference seems pretty consistent--at least four of us have confirmed it on different setups using ZD2.8.1 and the previously listed GZ versions.

(FYI the issue was fixed by reworking the setup so that the YK sector doesn't lower as far and the player doesn't need to fall down into the watery area. I think this is better from a map flow perspective anyway, but it obviated the need to figure out exactly what was going on with the original setup, so it's still a little mysterious.)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Do you still have the original map? I'd like to take a look.
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

The RC1 linked in my previous post has the original (broken in GZ) MAP02; the current RC1.1 (linked in the post at the top) has the fixed MAP02 for comparison.
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

We’re at RC2 now for Dungeon Synths and not far away from final version pending any major bugs or issues.

Get RC2 here:
https://www.moddb.com/members/glenzinho/addons
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

RC2 is officially up in the OP! DBK02 starting up soon....

Changes:
  • -- Difficulty settings have been refined and tested more extensively
    -- Addressed performance issues, especially on MAP02 and MAP03
    -- Fixed a softlock on MAP06
    -- More special touches on a few maps
    -- Some refinements on boss and credit maps
    -- Text file with info and credits now included
    -- Other random texture/alignment/etc fixes along the way
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

I can't wait for the new DBK! I like DBP levels, and when I saw the post of the first DBK and went through it completely, I will say that you guys still amaze me with the cool design of the maps. I will be waiting for the next issue! 38^)
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

Thank you bro, I can’t wait for the next DBK too! Just a little cat outta the bag, we got the next 3 DBK’s just about ready to go

Return to “Levels”