World War Wolf Gameplay Mod [WIP]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DeeDeeOZ

World War Wolf Gameplay Mod [WIP]

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

WorldWarWOlf
WorldWarWOlf
wolftitle.PNG (1.99 KiB) Viewed 15057 times
Well here Goes!
This started as pet project where i stockpiled and resprited a insanely large amount of wolfenstein resources with the intention of making a Wolfenstein TC. With the Plan to cover from 1942-1946 and all areas of war Italy, Egypt, Japan etc. Still would love to do this but honestly am not very good at mapping :( . so instead of giving up figured why not use resources to make a fun Gameplay mod where you take on AXIS enemies.

Enter WW_Nazis... Its gonna take anyone with Slade 30 seconds to see this is built on WildWeasels awesome Mod. Its a great mod with good game balance and lots of nifty extras (tracers/grenades). I asked an was overjoyed to get permission to do this. Hopefully this Mod can bring some joy to us good old Doomers.

WorldWarWolf is a gameplay mod bringing large amount of Wolfenstein style enemies against player through the use of Hopefully balanced Randomspawners. fight back against the Axis horde with all sorts of WW2 weapons and items. be warned though all enemies can dish out damage if your not careful!

MOD INCLUDES.
-47 weapons from all areas of war (these are not intended to all be carried at once..but can if you really want)lot of fan favorites but some unique ones to.
-100+ basic enemy types using Random spawners to keep things interesting.
-60 unique/redone bosses from wolfenstein universe (some of these currently are not implementing into regular spawns but all are fully functional)
-*OBILGE level generator support* this is a main pushing point for me as the Italian/Japanese spawns are through this.
-*Fast Simple Reloads to get you back into the fight quickly!
-Reduced and Enhanced Gore! -enemies will generally collapse from small caliber fire with minimal fuss but also come with gibs/unique burning deaths
-super sexy 4/8 direction rotations :D ... for everything/also VISIBLE WEAPONS (no more mp40s shooting like Thompsons)
-Color Coordinated enemy factions for easy threat identification
-THE LONGEST CASTING CALL EVER!!. Seriously brings some popcorn and a wrist brace!
-the possibility of one day becoming a Full TC... I'm still hopeful!
-Compatible with MonsterScouter/Targetspy as all enemies have tags set
-*Choose from 4 different Heroes to tackle enemy in different ways.

POSSIBLE CONS
-the reduced rotations might not be for everyone. but please try and see how they feel.
-47 weapons. these was never intended to all be carried at once. but most still have unique feel and use.
-I can currently only Run Zdoom not Gzdoom so this is made for that and don't no if that effects anything

WEAPONS LIST -for more info read WorldWarWolf.txt included in zip
Spoiler:
ENEMY LIST -again way more info in the WorldwarWolf.txt included in zip. (also note these all come with variants)
Spoiler:
COUPLE OF SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:
DOWNLOAD: (just run the zip do not need to unpack it)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpqbsa0k1irry ... f.zip?dl=0
*This is completely stable and should run with pretty much anything!*

ALSO - alternative CVARS spawner version
This version will let you choose which axis enemies you wish to fight via options menu. choose from different spawn options or use all for colorful mishmash.
-if you turn all off will default to standard spawns.
-not all rosters have there own spawns for certain replacements and will revert to standard.
-bosses now all use same spawn to not break stuff
*ambush flags should carry over now*
*Boss specials work properly*
DOWNLOAD:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6ufirgbn4bct ... B.zip?dl=0
*This should be more stable now, but could cause problems with some mods,main reason I keep it separate*

Also WorldWarWolf Corpse Replacer
DOWNLOAD:(this will replace all regular Doom2 monster/marine corpses with Allies/Axis and generic corpses)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qg5iq7f8vwfr ... s.wad?dl=0
*again keep this separate for compatibility with mapsets, but should work with pretty much everything*

*EDIT* NEW CREDITS *
*CREDITS* -Zip file includes original WW_Nazis credit list in full and unchanged. Have folded Credits back into mod as I feel its good enough now. but please if you think i left something out/misscredited or included something i shouldn't let me know.

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:
This is my First Released mod so please any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by DeeDeeOZ on Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:02 am, edited 19 times in total.
PresBarackbar

Re: World War Wolf Gameplay Mod

Post by PresBarackbar »

Really like this! Just a couple of things to mention:

For some reason I can't seem to pick up the chaingun from the big enemies who drop it Guess I should learn to RTFM, you addressed it in the readme.
I like the fact that there are no inventory limits but the ability to drop guns would still be nice to keep your inventory tidy, especially for guns that have exotic ammo types that you aren't likely to find much for.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

The single chaingun supersoldiers only drop JAMMED chainguns (works as a chunky 9mm ammo pickup). this is intentional to stop you getting one to early (the UMG chaingun is pretty powerful) the elite supersoldiers (no helmet/dual chainguns) or any of the Rare boss spawns will drop it as normal.

*NOTE*this also happens with any of the mounted guns, Mg42/mgo8. again both available from less common enemy types.

Also if you go to your control setup there will be a section under inventory where you can bind a key to drop weapons. this should help if you do not want to carry as many guns.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Could you add some of the weapons from Zikks wolfenstien addon. You could use the sprites from that mod instead of the current ones in order to distance itself from Doom
PresBarackbar

Post by PresBarackbar »

Thanks, really enjoying it so far!
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Bobby wrote:Could you add some of the weapons from Zikks wolfenstien addon. You could use the sprites from that mod instead of the current ones in order to distance itself from Doom
Honestly I really don't want to add any more guns to the Mod, quite alot of them actually are already a little redundant. Actually had more i thought about and chose not to add (though some are tempting just for cool/fun factor) only things i might add are couple more melee weapons and possibly 1 more energy/chemical weapon.

Lots of the sprites in it are already Zikshadows, and also added doom hands to lots of the others to try and make it more Doomy. Sorry if thats a let down.
PresBarackbar wrote:Thanks, really enjoying it so far!
Thank you, always nice to get positive Feedback! :D
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

I checked out the mod, so far i dig the arsenal new reloads (some are stiff, especially on the pistols) but i dig it, along with the italian soldiers (though those aren't the bersaglieri) i hope to see the mod improve and potentially add some Cvar options to change the spawners (or have italian bosses, but hey it's just me.)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh wow, schit. The numbers of enemies and weapons are at large number and historically accurate. While i love the effort you put into this mod i think i've found some issues:
Spoiler:
So yeah. Impressive mod!
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Redead-ITA wrote:(though those aren't the bersaglieri)
No Sadly.there just dark helmets. Just really wanted to make them different to regular enemy stalhelms. glad to hear you like it. would also like to do more italian bosses.
Captain J wrote:Some of the sound effects, sprites and musics are still uncredited to the actual original authors. Think i talked about this on DM and i'm still regretful for not properly crediting each used resource for my super old standalone of ww_nazis you presumably used it as a base(since i can hear cutscene and ending musics unchanged). I'd suggest to remove or replace some if you can't find out the source, or perhaps DM me with the resources you want to know where they came from.
Updated the music section of credits to include both tracks from SOD and SOD lost missions. I will PM you with the resources that i think your talking about still needing credit. and feel free to let me know if there's anything else you think needs fixing. more then happy to amend or change things. want to make sure all proper parties are credited.

-in regards to the second part. enemies where left over from original TC plan. with Unready supersoldiers who burst out of tubes and come punch you, other guards are supposed to represent unready troops in barracks rooms, locker rooms etc. also as a homage to some older sillier Wolfenstien Mods. was unsure about including them. Have removed Unready Supersoldier completely and removed the other guards from the casting call as they currently don't feature in spawn list (these are i feel tame enough that they shouldn't cause problems) but left sprites for regular unready guards in mod in case they are implemented at later date. Sorry if this caused any distress!
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

I appreciate all the effort that went into this, and it's been fun so far(first three maps of Ultimate DooM). There are just a couple of things I'd like to see:
  • First off, could there be an option to turn off the recoil? Please? I understand that this mod makes numerous major changes to the gameplay, but this one thing specifically actually bothers me.
  • Secondly, could there be an option to set what weapons are projectile-based and which ones are hitscan? Myself, I'd just as soon make it where all bullet weapons used by the player are hitscan, while enemy guns still fire tracers; but there could be various combinations here, such as making it where automatics fire tracer projectiles while single-shot weapons get hitscan, or where lower velocity weapons like pistols and SMGs fire tracers and high velocity rifles are hitscan. Maybe even the ability to mix and match whether certain types of guns are hitscan in the player's hands but projectile-based for the enemies, with different sets for each. I hope you can figure it out.
And lastly, would anyone know of a good WWII-themed texture and/or prop set? Something that would make it feel like going from the front lines, then progressively deeper into enemy territory, as you go through enemy bunkers and eventually to their secret "Wunderwaffe" labs, or something like.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

I must say, this is quite an ambitious project you got here. Even as a gameplay mod, there's quite the variety you tried putting in.
I did however have several concerns regarding things here and there. Note that these are just preliminary observations from playing it for an hour or two. I could miss details here and there, which if I do, I apologize. But still, I won't ring around the rosie for some of these concerns.
Spoiler:
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Thanks for the Feedback. Have amended the credits list with the 2 things you pointed out, let me know if there is anything more. will give more detailed reply later. I am new at this and first time making credits list so gonna make mistakes. want to make sure everyone is properly credited. and do not want to offend anyone.

also plan on addressing some of the issues mentioned soon.

Again thanks for honest feedback.

*EDIT* Finally had chance to reply properly
Concerns:
Spoiler:
Last edited by DeeDeeOZ on Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

I like the idea, but I feel the flamethrower needs an idle animation for it's flame, it's just there frozen, also, not sure where the smoke comes from after you fire (there is no tube for a smoke release, it seems to just come out of the side of the barrel), other than that I like it's sprites more than the WW_Nazis one, I feel this mod has potential personally, I like the idea of a mod expanding on Weasel's nazis (an already pretty great mod) so I hope to see more progress on this in the future, I also really like how this seems to cover all powerups already (one thing I didn't like that much from WW_Nazis is that last I checked it didn't cover most of the sphere powerups, but i may be out of date), some sprites need tweaking but generally like the potential it has, just polish it a bit more and you'll do it great!
also some animations could use polishing too, like the melee weapons, I feel need smoother animations

(I mostly say this from going on Kinsie's test map and testing the weapons, haven't fully played through a level with this yet, mostly commenting from the graphical side as that's what I was more interested in currently, as a spriter I am curious on how other mods look like graphically)
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

So far I have a mixed first impression of this mod. I like the wide variety of enemies and weapons, but quantity doesn't always translate to good quality, and it shows:
  • Many weapons are redundant, especially when they share the same ammo pool when most of them use different ammo IRL. This makes it even harder since I can't tell from the HUD which weapon uses which ammo. ZikShadow's BoA addon is a great example since many of its weapons use their proper ammos, and is much more balanced to alleviate redundancy; you should take notes from it.
  • Weapon casings would be nice.
  • Enemies only have four rotation sprites (no diagonals) instead of the usual eight. Don't be lazy and cut corners; if you want directions, make eight directions.
Other than that, I concur with the comments Captain J and the others posted.
DeeDeeOZ

Re: World War Wolf Gameplay Mod [WIP]

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Just wanted to let people know I'm currently hard at work fixing some of the issued raised by people above. Have currently split my credits files/Lore file out of main mod for ease of editing and allowing me to update it without constantly re uploading .
Have left original WWnazis file in and untouched. Also adjusting it to make it more consistent and easier to read.

Thankful for all the feedback, both positive and negative (I am a big boy, I can take it) honestly rushed the release of this as was burning out and needed motivation to keep working on it. Fair bit of stuff not as polished as could be and it shows.

Main issues being addressed are firstly the crediting of stuff and replacing/resourcing some sounds so everything is going to proper parties. Feel this is more important than minor sprite edits. Again really happy when people point specific stuff out as its usually stuff i missed and never intentional.

Also fixing some of the more obvious problems pointed out and tweaking some things but this will be done as time permits. Am very time poor at moment, work long hours and shiftwork so sadly Modding has to get put on back bench sometime. Also got lots of other stuff going on in the real world.

Thanks again to everyone. will try to give more targeted Feedback when have more time.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”