[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Phredreeke

Re: [Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] Release v3 taken down (p20

Post by Phredreeke »

Maybe it'd be better then to lock the thread again until a new release comes out? With the downloads pulled there's little to say about it besides the drama.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

That's probably for the best frankly.

EDIT: editing this post not to bump it further.

I do apologize for being heated and lashing out on the entire community. This thing has been brewing for some time in my head, I probably should have taken my own advice on cooler heads prevail.

I'd appreciate if people would stop DMing me about it in the meantime. I'm trying to cool down a bit.
Last edited by SanyaWaffles on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

10/10 would play again, altered or not :D
Hope to see more from the team in the future!
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I am temporarily locking this until v3.1's release.
Tormentor667

Re: [Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

Post by Tormentor667 »

Comerades, it's Friday 9th of July and we hope you are ready to get psyched once again! The new version 3.1 of Blade of Agony has just been unleashed on ModDB's project page. So what can be expected? Is it all censored? Are swastikas gone and are Nazis only generic soldier cannon fodder? People expected the worse, but we can promise you there is no need to fear radical changes.

New features in v3.1
  • New launcher (written from the ground, with additional options)
  • Addons (a total of 12 gameplay mutators, featuring interesting replay-possibilities, loadable with the launcher)
  • Ultra-Widescreen support (for 21:9 screens)
  • New damage and powerup screen indicators (including indicators for grenades, damage direction, damage types, powerup cooldowns)
  • Completely revamped fullscreen hud (powered by a new widget system, with transparent backgrounds)
  • New additional boss battles and enemies
  • Achievements system (total of 34, achievement board in the briefing room)
  • Performance improvements (higher fps rates on weaker machines)
  • Improvements to make the player-placed mines more useful
  • Sprite improvements (additonal rotational sprites for 1-directional enemies, hires sprites for numerous lowres variants)
  • Options menu simplification (making it more accessable to people outside the GZDoom community)
  • Includes latest stable GZDoom 4.6
  • Countless bugfixes, adjustments and improvements (over 400 Github commits)
  • Replacement and improval of edgy and sensitive content (e.g. removal of historical references towards the Holocaust, character renaming, content replacement)
So what does the latter point mean? After feedback from the players all around the world, we took a closer look at some of the design-choices that we made and asked ourselves if some of the content, that has been considered to be "edgy" contributes to the story and the atmosphere, or actually doesn't. We have made some minor choices and even though some people believe that we went too far or "bent the knee", we think that our vision is still intact without these nuances and we really hope that you will enjoy the new version with all the additions we made.

Enjoy, and get psyched (you know how that works!)
Best regards,
Tormentor667 and the Blade of Agony Team

Link: https://boa.realm667.com
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

This is going to be fun, even with it's new addons! But I wonder if there's an addon with new enemies?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

None yet but you are encouraged to create one :)
m1lk
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by m1lk »

downloaded off moddb. all that was available was the standalone version. how do I run this as a mod package with all the add ons? thanks.

im hoping the performance has been improved? thanks again.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

undeadmonk354 wrote:This is going to be fun, even with it's new addons! But I wonder if there's an addon with new enemies?
In addition of what Torm said, there are 2 new enemies in this release, but on the game itself not from addons. And yes even I say that you are encouraged to create new ones of you want! :D
m1lk wrote:downloaded off moddb. all that was available was the standalone version. how do I run this as a mod package with all the add ons? thanks.

im hoping the performance has been improved? thanks again.
Just unzip the new release in a separate folder, don't mix it with previous one. And you can run only one addon per campaign, we didn't had time to test properly combinations of them and you can't run them all at once. But you can follow the progress related to addons fixes on our Github Repository in case. Also on our Discord channel #boa-addons I have shared a fixed pk3 for M2HB weapon, in case it is of interest.

Links:
https://github.com/Realm667/WolfenDoom/issues/935

https://discord.com/invite/5zfvsbzPGW
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Since the release of v3.1 of "Blade of Agony" we have received numerous messages, comments and emails. Besides positive messages and words of support, we have also received a lot of opposition and disappointment.

"You have given up", "You have given in to the shitstorm", "You have lost my respect".

After more than 6 years of working on a project of the heart, these words of course hurt and disappoint us very much and after we had answered some of the comments on ModDB and by email, we now feel that an official statement is necessary to gain understanding and shed light on the matter.

The changes and mitigations we have implemented for version 3.1 do not stem from cowardice we have shown towards some users of the Doom community. Blade of Agony is a creative, free and artistic interpretation within the Wolfenstein universe. And as long as we are unpaid developers working on such a project in our spare time, it must be ensured that we realise our vision as we see fit. This is exactly the motto we have been working by for the last 6 years, releasing the last 3 chapters. So why the adjustments to v3.0 now?

As some of you know, the team around "Blade of Agony" consists of a colourful bunch from all over the world, including Israel and Germany. Wolfenstein 3D and swastikas have long been banned and punished in Germany in the field of entertainment. Since 2018, these laws have been defused, but games of this kind are still under the strictest observation by the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (FOftPotC).

Although we as developers strictly condemn any form of discrimination, racial hostility, anti-Semitism and glorification of the Second World War, there were concerns on the part of various German gaming sites and news sources about whether we had not crossed a line with some content (including the depiction of a concentration camp, the explicit mention of affected population groups or the World's Fair in Paris with historical anti-Semitic content). From that point on, it was clear to us that we would have to reconsider the content in order to weigh up possible personal damage (for example a punishment from the FOftPotC if they deem the game unacceptable) from all the developers of the project concerned.

The Second World War was the most horrific conflict in our history, and we as a development team do not want to ignore, censor or even deny these atrocities. However, we have asked ourselves what position we are in as entertainers. Wolfenstein is and always has been a fictional scenario, so we have no duty to educate the people who play our game. We want to tell an exciting story. So our yardstick in defusing the game was "What content is necessary to achieve that and what content can we do without?"

Blade of Agony has been released in several versions before and as we changed, removed and added content from version 1.0 to 2.0 based on experience gained and advice received, this is an organic process that has now also taken place between 3.0 and 3.1.

While we can understand some of the disappointment, we hope players will understand why some changes had to be made and why we can no longer officially support v3.0, and ask that you do not share public links on our ModDB page. Of course, we have no influence on what happens in the private area.

We hope that you continue to have as much fun with Blade of Agony as we had during its development and we still wish you a good time.

Thank you,
Daniel Gimmer
and the entire Blade of Agony development team
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

NightFright wrote:I just hope the original setting of the new episode doesn't get watered down too much in the wake of the upcoming changes. Publishers of commercial products wouldn't have the balls to go even remotely as far as you guys did in BoA, which deserves recognition.
MachineGames: "Am I a joke to you?" :cry:
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch

Post by axredneck »

You done all right.
cs89

Post by cs89 »

I played the Chapter 3 on v3.0 and it was fun and exciting. :)
I will go for a second run on the 1st and 2nd chapters with new sprite graphic elements.
m1lk
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by m1lk »

I can see some improved performance now, so im giving it another play through.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Made a topic split regarding the controversy.

Just so we're clear: Anyone bringing up the controversy again will be getting a warning from here on out. Your post will be removed, also. That topic is done. It's over. This isn't the place for that.

If you wish to still discuss it, there are places (THAT ARE NOT THIS FORUM) where you can do it. But I don't want this forum to be involved in that anymore than it already has. You had your chance a long time ago to make your opinion known about it if you wanted to step in - so if you haven't done it by now, you missed the train.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”