Win11 support

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Win11 support

Post by Graf Zahl »

When I was using XP I switched to the still available Win9x theme because Luna was an eyesore. Easily the most awful theme Windows ever had on offer.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

sinisterseed wrote:I find it baffling how Luna gets so much hate nowadays because it was "too colorful" or "too cartoony", whatever that's supposed to mean in an OS.
Nowadays!?
"It's still pretty buggy, the help is still missing, and beta tester feedback has been pretty negative regarding the 'cartoony' look of the new UI (user interface)," said the tester, who spoke on condition of anonymity. The tester added that he happened to like the new, streamlined "Luna" interface that Microsoft showed off at the Windows XP preview in Seattle last week.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I remember when Luna first came out (that was nearly 2 decades ago now) and I hated it then. In that time, nothing has changed! In fact that was the biggest reason for resisting upgrading to Windows XP. It was essentially a reskin of Windows 2000 at the time, anyhow, and really not much more than that. Oh, with a hated DRM component that was new to Windows at the time, as well. (Though, over time, Microsoft made improvements to the OS that made XP very much different from 2000)

(I do agree that the Royale theme, which gave XP a more "metallic" look, and less "Fisher Price", looked a lot better though)

To be fair, Windows XP was a massive upgrade over Windows 98 that was massively crash-prone and unstable. Even Second Edition. But even then, Windows 2000 beat out both quite easily and was a much more "professional" looking OS.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I've never been a fan of the Luna theme, but I still think it was far far better than the Windows 8 and 10 themes. I also agree with sinisterseed that the glassy look of Windows 7 was over the top. Especially the effect when you alt-tabbed was horrible. Still, it beats FillRect and gray scales only in the range of 235-255 that they released since. At least Windows 11 now reinvented a hint of pastel, box shadow effects and EGA colors for the icons, even if the new settings panel literally looks like my iPad settings.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sinisterseed »

Graf Zahl wrote:When I was using XP I switched to the still available Win9x theme because Luna was an eyesore. Easily the most awful theme Windows ever had on offer.
I mean, yeah, unpopular opinion lol.

It's funny since I changed by mind multiple times, first hated it too and switched to Zune, then loved Aero in Vista - no wait, 7 was better for me initially -, then I liked Vista's again, followed by W10 21H1, and now back to Luna because the monochromatic design of *everything* these days is something I find unbelievably boring. I mean I like Dark themes and all, but... *color*, man, can we get those back too, please...

So Luna all the way for me, the stock, blue version too.

@Blzut3 Yes actually, it was smooth sailing for me, but then the only thing I ever did on it was playing video games so I never really pushed to the edge with much else and make it fold then and there.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I would gladly take the classic Win9x theme back along with Vista/7's Aero design. I do dislike the Metro design.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I realize I am in a shrinking minority but I actually liked Vista/7's glass window borders and colorful icons.

Actually, I liked Vista's taskbar skin the best, too.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Linux had a similar parallel with KDE4 rushing with Vista-inspired widgetry and a revised app menu that blindsided everyone, causing many longing for 3.5 to the point there was a Trinity fork. Many didn't like either GNOME3 or KDE4 and went for XFCE since that didn't change much and could be prodded to resemble either MacOS9 or Win9x pretty well (to a point. thunar is no explorer/finder).

This was long before there was elementary, mint, cinnamon, etc. which are more OSX inspired but will now coincidentally resemble Windows 11 :P
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... enablement

Seems like the CPU requirements might be bypassable after all in the final version.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Cacodemon345 wrote:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... enablement

Seems like the CPU requirements might be bypassable after all in the final version.
Interesting.

If that turns out to be true, I wonder what will happen with TPM, as last I checked MS allowed *OEMs*, of all things, to not ship machines with it at all.
Rachael wrote:I realize I am in a shrinking minority but I actually liked Vista/7's glass window borders and colorful icons.

Actually, I liked Vista's taskbar skin the best, too.
Shrinking maybe, but not tiny by any means. Liking Luna is surely a hot take for many it would seem.

Regarding its distracting nature, that's actually a plus for me too. It's been ages since I last stopped for a moment to just admire the look of the OS itself, after Vista that just stopped being a thing entirely. Admire 8.1's and 10's colors? Which ones? Black and white? Can change their colors, yes, but 10 looks awful if the UI is anything other than these two. It was definitely not made with personalization in mind.

Vista's taskbar skin was superior from my POV too, it had transparency but it was nowhere near as overdone as 7 was overall. In retrospect, just how overdone transparency was in that OS alone, is what I find hard to swallow anymore.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/window ... a2f080f353

What was the damned reason to make the requirements text even more fucking confusing?
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

So, it would seem that at this point, MS decides to remain fully commited to the requirements.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/micro ... quirements

This, combined with the fact that W10 is also more than likely not seeing its support extended, paints a very funny landscape for 2025. I can't wait to see Corporate Wars: Revenge of the Hardware Struggle in theaters.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

sinisterseed wrote:I can't wait to see Corporate Wars: Revenge of the Hardware Struggle in theaters.

Well, the main problem with corporate customers has always been that common sense has to take second place behind monetary concerns.
The only way to make them secure their computers is to force their hand and give them no choice.

Mark my words - if they were allowed to use Windows 11 on their 5-10 year old systems they'd run those for another 10 years, constantly providing a menace to the public due to potential cyberattacks.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Graf Zahl wrote:
sinisterseed wrote:I can't wait to see Corporate Wars: Revenge of the Hardware Struggle in theaters.

Well, the main problem with corporate customers has always been that common sense has to take second place behind monetary concerns.
The only way to make them secure their computers is to force their hand and give them no choice.

Mark my words - if they were allowed to use Windows 11 on their 5-10 year old systems they'd run those for another 10 years, constantly providing a menace to the public due to potential cyberattacks.
Microsoft can can it with their requirement. On my new HotRod is the latest Windows 10 build and there will be no hair on my head to put W11 on there with this nonsense practice. Not to mention i am just out of the buck with their TPM requirement.

Its completely stupid. If everything fails ill just jump to Linux and get accquainted there.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The reason why they upped the requirements is well known and anything but 'stupid'.
What is stupid is the hamfisted way in which they want to push it through.

Of course, in the end switching OSs isn't really going to improve things. Apple is even worse and Linux is still a first grade productivity killer in the desktop environment.

Return to “Off-Topic”