Wrath of Cronos RPG V3A

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Colerx

Re: Wrath of Cronos RPG V3A

Post by Colerx »

yessss, those sprites for the assassin pleaseee
chickenwrap

Post by chickenwrap »

Hi guys. I just made an account to give you guys some feedback. So first of all this mod is great! I'm having a lot of fun playing it. So thank you very much for making this!
Anyway here are some issues I noticed:

HUNTER
Hunter's wolf is pretty weak probably one of the weakest summons. Stat wise he's okay but he deals low damage, cannot fly and has no ranged attack so if you have lots of platforms or fliers poor guy can't do anything. With Survivalist he seems to be able to jump I think but still not good. Maybe wolf can eat on dead bodies around to restore health when not fighting or when low? Or maybe he should have some strength/constitution/health regen stat boosting howl for all players and himself to make him more useful? Or maybe a fear howl that makes enemies freeze up every 20 sec-1 min or so?

Tripwire Bomb is very difficult to get it working right. Perhaps a mine that detonates with splash damage when enemies are nearby would be simpler?

The weapon zoom function only works on the bow sharpshooter path. I think maybe it should work for Hunter on all weapons but way lower zoom, or maybe work on some weapons, maybe even work for some Assassin weapons too.

ASSASSIN
Assassin Clone seems to walk a lot instead of attacking. Seems to me like he is trying to go in melee range but can't so just walks around until he dies. Maybe he should only have a ranged attack so he's more consistent? Or maybe he should prefer ranged attack and only use melee as last resort if they are very close. Would also be nice if the clones were permanent pets and would not de-summon.

CLERIC
Summon Legend has similar issue to Assasin Clone wondering around but is much more useful actually and way stronger so when he hits he really hits. But I think he should not despawn and should remain a permanent friendly pet. Also he should probably be able to use the ability to pull enemies to him like Warrior does.

But yeah all in all is really fun!
chickenwrap

Post by chickenwrap »

Also sorry for the double post but I noticed there are actually two versions of this mod floating around the interwebs.

There's this one here 3A then there is also 3.1.4 found on modDB and they have subtle differences.

For example Weapon 5 for Mage in 3A is JadeWand but in 3.1.4 is RubyWand and has additional sound effects but the functions are still named Jade for ex JadeShot, JadeDartTrail etc which seems to suggest 3.1.4 is newer version of 3A in that Jade was changed to Ruby but many references for the old name Jade still remain for the most part.

Also 3A scripts are compiled with ACS 5 but 3.1.4 are compiled with ACS 6 and are not inter-compatible and further suggests to me that 3.1.4 is a slightly newer than 3A.

There are many other things for example 3.1.4 has a number of DamageFactor added for summons which don't show up in 3A.

I cannot find any information as to who made 3.1.4 and why but it appears that 3.1.4 is newer than 3A but here's the odd thing moddb one was posted on August 16, 2019 but the last change here is November 28, 2019 which seems to suggest that 3A is newer. Which one should I use?
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Wrath of Cronos 3.1.4 is an interesting build indeed, since Tethis hasn't said a single word about that version (we don't even know if he worked on it officially being a unstable/semi-private version or if an user made this version using his own hotfixes and changes).

And if things weren't already strange, the other WoC files that contain the doom demons and the extra enemies were also updated removing some monsters that are accidentally cloned into v3A code like the Magma Chaos Serpent or the Draugr from Hell Forged mod, making it cleaner and optimized in the process.
3.1.4 version also fixed a visual bug where the Swamp Stalker Leader used the Ice variant sprites, so whoever made this version (if it wasn't done by Tethis) took a lot of trouble to improve it.
chickenwrap

Post by chickenwrap »

Exeor wrote:Wrath of Cronos 3.1.4 is an interesting build indeed, since Tethis hasn't said a single word about that version (we don't even know if he worked on it officially being a unstable/semi-private version or if an user made this version using his own hotfixes and changes).

And if things weren't already strange, the other WoC files that contain the doom demons and the extra enemies were also updated removing some monsters that are accidentally cloned into v3A code like the Magma Chaos Serpent or the Draugr from Hell Forged mod, making it cleaner and optimized in the process.
3.1.4 version also fixed a visual bug where the Swamp Stalker Leader used the Ice variant sprites, so whoever made this version (if it wasn't done by Tethis) took a lot of trouble to improve it.
I have been using the one from moddb for a while now and got a lot of saves in progress. I wanted to know more about what attributes affect which weapons/skills for Hunter and Assassin (which are my favorite at the moment :) ) so decided to look though the pk3 with SLADE but I accidentally saved some garbage modifications so I thought oh oh I might have broken the mod lemme get a fresh copy just in case so I got 3A from here and my saves were no longer working saying saves have a newer version of ACS. Then I realized I was actually dealing with 2 different versions! Hahah

Anyway this is the info I gathered up and modified an older guide for WoC posted long time ago with some of the modified info + Assassin class details. Warning spoiler contains the entire .txt file. I added the Assassin weapon interactions with ghost enemies, Assassin level progression, what attributes affect what skills.
Spoiler:
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

There are some mistakes with the guide related to the health of many enemies, for example: Ettin Commanders have 400 hp instead of 500, Afrit Leaders have 100 instead of 160 or Slaughtaurs have 250 instead of 300. I have checked that both WoC 3.A and WoC 3.1.4 keep the same hp for several of those monsters.

Funny thing is, I increased the health of some enemies slightly in my mod, like Nitrogolems, Afrit Leaders and Slaughtaurs too, so they scale better with the level player :P
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Exeor wrote:Funny thing is, I increased the health of some enemies slightly in my mod, like Nitrogolems, Afrit Leaders and Slaughtaurs too, so they scale better with the level player :P
WoC does a great job of spawning bigger monsters and sort of mini bosses. It is a really useful tool actually for scaling.

In my Hexen II mod Game of Tomes I iterated on this idea by adding respawn to the monsters to act as "wandering monsters". They get a randomized chance that they will be a type of miniboss. That chance goes up as the player levels up.

So what happens is that some monsters scale up, but most monsters do not. It helps a lot with the challenge level.

One thing to avoid like the plague is exact scaling to counteract levels. Meaning if your damage goes up by 50% and all monster health goes up by 50% then your player didn't gain any levels. You unmade your RPG.

There is a lot of game theology where this is justified because RPG elements are seen as nothing more than "artifically gating progress". I.e. if you have to grind to a higher level just to survive the first fight in the desert world, then they might as well have put a door with a key there. This is really shallow and actually does not translate to fast paced action RPGs. Look at Simon's Quest. Leveling helps you survive the next world, but it is still freaking hard. That has to do with scaling right.

Hexen makes an excellent game because most monsters have relatively low hitpoints. Monster 1 takes 3-4 punches. Monster 2 takes 3-5 punches. By the end of the game, the biggest monsters still only take 4-6 punches. They generally have the same HP. The challenge scales in completely different ways. So adding levels that lets you one-shot an ettin is useful even at the end of the game, and it doesn't change the challenge. For example, those reavers in the 2nd to last level could all be 1 shot kills and they'd still get plenty of projectile hits on you. The damage/health scale is a great progression for the player that still leaves the dynamics and challenges of the maps.

With that being said, occasionally fighting minibosses makes it fun, while dealing with the same dynamic of the regular mooks wandering around.

Anyway, I'm working on this modified wandering monster mechanic in HRPG at the moment and it will be a good practical example of how to help resolve this.
nakkemake

Post by nakkemake »

Why does not the green mana, blue mana show as a sprite? I see only their light effect on the ground. Combined mana looks regular and shows ok as a sprite. Am I missing a option or whats wrong? :|

Edit* I cant see sword flames been thrown or hammer thrown... :cry:
Last edited by nakkemake on Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

Will we ever see a monster randomizer like the Doom version get added into other IWADs? I was thinking of Heretic specifically, as I want more monsters than just the base ones.
rayburn

Post by rayburn »

Hi. Just a heads up for anyone who runs WoC V3A Lite with monster replacer mods.
For whatever reason, executing TopHPBars "borrowed script" takes waaay longer with LITE version + replacers (tried two, my own project and Hedon monsters) compared to FULL WoC or just LITE with vanilla doom monsters. So when a certain amount of monsters activates, FPS plummets. You can see that using profilethinkers 8 10 console command.

This is the script that causes issues: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=56910

So, all you need to do is to turn it off, it's not really vital for the experience of playing the mod IMO. Just comment the mentions of said script or remove them.

in zscript.zc, //#include "zscript/TopHPBars.zc"
in mapinfo, AddEventHandlers = "WOCScriptHandler", "DamNumEventHandler"//, "TopHPHandler"

From what I can see with latest tests I performed, this removes the FPS drop entirely. You can also read the topic above for some more insight.
That said, I was not able to figure out why exactly it runs longer with LITE compared to FULL, and why vanilla monsters don't cause issue, but replacers I tried do. I guess there is some additive effect involved, feel free to correct me here.

Finally, let me say WoC is a crazy good mod, I absolutely LOVE it and going to play the hell out of it once I complete my monster replacer to go with it.
Cheers.
Last edited by rayburn on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
ELPoder36
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by ELPoder36 »

Hello creative genius! I greet you and I congratulate your project and work. I wanted to ask you something, in my case I always liked to play with high difficulty, but I understand that a creator must be regulated to please everyone, but i were thinking as something interesting to give it a creative touch and more strategic action and this is to incorporate some more enemies that have status-altering spells or Buffs / Debuffs. In the version before his last work had included enemies equivalent to Arch-vile such as the Hierophant that fired to player a pink curse that slowed us down and diminished the damage. Another example was in the Hexen style an equivalent to the Bishop who was a Priest who healed his own ... How about trying to add enemies that have skills like that to make the game difficult and that one must go through those supports first to win in an enemy zone? would add an interesting touch, don't you think?
Burtie
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Burtie »

Hi this is kind of a minor problem but it does bug me a bit and basically when I play as the fighter the sprites for the gauntlets, the weapon you start with, are too small for the screen and so look like they're disembodied and are cut off at the shoulders. Is there any way to adjust the size of wielded weapon sprites in this mod or am I doing something wrong here? The sprites work fine in normal Hexen BTW.
LordKane1701
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by LordKane1701 »

Burtie wrote:Hi this is kind of a minor problem but it does bug me a bit and basically when I play as the fighter the sprites for the gauntlets, the weapon you start with, are too small for the screen and so look like they're disembodied and are cut off at the shoulders. Is there any way to adjust the size of wielded weapon sprites in this mod or am I doing something wrong here? The sprites work fine in normal Hexen BTW.
that is because the mod uses the original sprites from the game which arent meant for widescreen monitors.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, I think there might be some fixed versions floating around, but not sure.
RailedRobin

Post by RailedRobin »

Is there any way to open the ACS file "RPGSCRIP.o"? I would love to check how the rpg system is done, but don't know how to check under the hood.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”