Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [V7.0 RELEASED!]

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Alando1

Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [V7.0 RELEASED!]

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, as some of you may know, back in 2017, I had received an email from a gentleman who informed me about a documentary talking about his life as a blind gamer. His name is Toby and I had the pleasure of getting to know him since. His story had inspired me to create an accessibility mod for him and others who have a visual impairment. For some time, I had been working on a wad that would allow those with a visual impairment to navigate Doom levels. Even though this mod does cover a good amount of the basics like weapons, pickups, wall bumping, and other audio queues, I feel there is much more work that is needed to perfect this project. I'm no expert in ZScript, however, I feel this scripting system may be what is necessary to make this mod more capable of aiding visually impaired players. If anyone would like to contribute to this project (scripting, ideas, suggestions, etc.), your help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

-Alando1

I would like to give thanks to:

Toby Ott - For inspiring the project.
dansg08 - For creating the "Gaming Through New Eyes" documentary.
Jarewill - For the Audio Feedback Compass System, Health & Ammo Stat Checker, Key Checker, & Event Handler Scripts for doors & switches.
Illegally Sighted - Contributor and project advisement.
SightlessKombat - Contributor and project advisement.
Proydoha - For the optimized drop-off detection system, accessible menu, optimized the audible map marker system, Area Scanner System, optimized targeting system, & snap-to-target system.
ZikShadow - For map marker scripts and inspiration.
Tekish - For the Hit marker system.
AlChestbreach - Project support.
Karl G. - For suggesting the snap-turn feature for the compass system.
Any other visually impaired players who offered helpful suggestions and insight (from YouTube)

**TOBY ACCESSIBILITY MOD VERSION 7.0 - RELEASED**

**DOWNLOAD**

Toby Accessibility Mod V7.0:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ERtaGP ... sp=sharing

Toby Accessibility Mod V7.0 Audio Manual:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-eS-La ... sp=sharing

**WHAT'S INCLUDED**
- Updated Narrated Main Menu
- Updated Narrated Save/Load Game Menu
- Updated and optimized pre-existing accessibility features
- Added new sounds to Shotgunner, Chaingunner, & Imp
- Added new keyed-door beacon sounds for specific locked doors (i.e.: Skull Key Only, 3 Keys, 6 Keys, Any Key)
- Updated Stat-Checker System (Now gives you exact numbers)
- Added Armor Stats to Stat-Checker System
- Snap-To-Target System
- Map Announcement System
- Area Scanner System
- Multiplayer friendly
- New Deathmatch Map Pack for Multiplayer play

**TOBY ACCESSIBILITY MOD VERSION 6.1**

**DOWNLOAD**

Toby Accessibility Mod V6.1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uf01fx3vydua6 ... 1.zip?dl=0

Toby Accessibility Mod V6.0 Audio Manual (Still useful for Version 6.1):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxz59il2f9mjc ... l.zip?dl=0

**WHAT'S INCLUDED**
- Toby Accessibility Mod V6.1
- Toby Doom Mega Deluxe Map Pack (Combines Toby Doom 1 and Toby Doom 2)
- Quick play shortcuts
- Updated Audio Manual
- Updated features such as a new sound for the impact detections system, expanded accessible menu, powerup wear-off sounds, hit marker feedback sounds, and more!

***CHANGELOG V6.1***

- Adjusted Drop-Off Detection System. Will sound off if lower than 60 units instead of 64 units.
- Added Player Jump Sound
- Touched up Toby Doom Deluxe Map Pack MAP01.
- When pressing F2 or F3 to bring up the Save/Load Game menus, there was a slight chance you may encounter a minor glitch with the audio queues. This issue has been fixed!
- Added compatibility for keyboard only users. No need to alter/change control scheme. Now players could play with either modern or classic control schemes.
- Updated Keyboard controls and hotkey info text document.
- Updated bug info text document.

***BUG NOTICE***
Version 6.1 has any and all info pertaining to current and resolved bugs located in the Bug Information text document.
If any of you do encounter any bugs, please let us know.
Thank you!

**OPERATION: MDK - NEW MAP PACK**

**DOWNLOAD - UPDATED 12/3/2023**

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/y0ggbmgm ... m87xf&dl=0

***TOBY ACCESSIBILITY MOD V5.1 UPDATE***

Download Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsswh6m8hhjwp ... x.zip?dl=0

**Important Notice**
- If you have already downloaded Toby Accessibility Mod V5.0, you can place the TobyAccModV5-1.pk3 and TobyDeluxeMapPack_V5-1.pk3 into the Toby Accessibility Mod V5.0 folder.
- Before you play with Version 5.1, remove the current gzdoom.ini file you have in the Toby Accessibility Mod V5.0 folder! After you have removed the old gzdoom.ini, replace it with the new gzdoom.ini packaged with Version 5.1. This new configuration file has the updated key controls for the updated compass system.
- When playing with the Toby Accessibility Mod, please use the preconfigured version of GZDoom 4.7.1. If you already have the Toby Accessibility Mod V5.0, the preconfigured version of GZDoom 4.7.1 comes packaged with it.

What's included in the The Toby Accessibility Mod V5.1 Update zip file:
1. The Toby Accessibility Mod V5.1 - Has updated Compass System
2. The Toby Doom Deluxe Map Pack (with updated V5.1 accessibility mod already built in)
3. Audio file describing the new key controls for the updated compass system.

***TOBY ACCESSIBILITY MOD V5.0***

Download Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8r4ydv57vwi2 ... 0.zip?dl=0

What's included in the The Toby Accessibility Mod V5.0 zip file:
1. A preconfigured version of GZDoom 4.7.1
2. The Toby Accessibility Mod V5.0
3. The Toby Doom Deluxe Map Pack (with updated accessibility mod already built in)

Audio Manual for Toby Accessibility Mod V5.0

Download Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/er00qu6k69vct ... 5.zip?dl=0

***TOBY DOOM DELUXE EDITION!***

Main: (Includes updated accessibility mod)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pigbguxtyf6ub ... x.zip?dl=0

Levels Only: (No accessibility features included)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsms6k7m3ev1n ... s.wad?dl=0

Toby Accessibility Mod Version 4.5:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ld7tx17y0v65 ... 5.zip?dl=0

***TOBY DOOM 2 DELUXE!***

Main: (Includes updated accessibility mod)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5gysz6ze7rn2l ... e.zip?dl=0

Levels Only: (No accessibility features included)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzi4x9y6rg9yv ... y.zip?dl=0

Toby Map Pack 5 Showcase:

Toby Map Pack 4 Showcase:

Toby Map Pack 3 Showcase:

Toby Map Pack 2 Showcase:

Toby Map Pack Showcase:

Accessible Menu Demo:

Drop-Off Detection System Video:

Health & Ammo Checker System Video:

Gaming Through New Eyes Documentary:
Last edited by Alando1 on Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:16 pm, edited 36 times in total.
irukanjji

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the visually impaired

Post by irukanjji »

This sounds awesome, my friend Jaimie thanks you, he now can try play the doom world, like we do
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

Awesome work! Looks like a lot of thought and effort went into this. More accessibility for Doom is always a good thing, inspiring work you are doing dude :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

While this isn't something of use to me (and, honestly, I hope that doesn't change) it looks like a really well thought through project that has taken, and acted on, meaningful advice and feedback for those who will find it helpful.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I agree 100% with what Enjay said.

I didn't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised by this.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, I'm back with a little update. Things are coming along well with Version 4.0. I have a video demonstrating a drop-off detection system I had been working on. Enjoy! :)

-Alando1
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, I'm back with another update. I have a video demonstrating a new system which was added to the mod. It's a Health & Ammo Checker System. Pressing "H" on the keyboard will give the player their health status and pressing "B" on the keyboard will give the player their ammo status for the weapon they currently have selected. I'd like to give a thank you and shout-out to Jarewill for compiling the script for this system and a thank you and shout-out to IllegallySighted for suggesting the idea. I will be doing some small additional modifications to the system but otherwise, it's working very well :)

-Alando1
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, got a project update! The Toby Accessibility Mod now has a map pack with levels designed with blind players in mind. The map pack contains 7 short levels. Also, Version 4.0 is available separately. Downloadable content is available at the top of the first page. Enjoy! :)

-Alando1
peewee_RotA

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [UPDATE]

Post by peewee_RotA »

This is really cool. I think the gaming world has a lot to learn about good design from the need for accessibility in gaming. The best designed game I've ever played was based on sound and text only, and it was about trying to stop a killer ghost after being locked into a mansion. It's not really about giving someone a limited experience into an existing game. It's about finding what's good about gaming within those constraints and making it better. I used to play quake with a friend who has ataxia (involuntary muscle movements) and he had a special setup that was amazing. He got more out of the game than anyone else, honestly. Learning about that was more important for me in gaming than any other moment.

Do you need any help?
Proydoha

Post by Proydoha »

Hello, I came here from this topic viewtopic.php?p=1191759#p1191759 and watched your videos.

In one of your videos you've told about some problems about cliff detection (it detects cliffs behind the walls). Sorry if I'm suggesting something that you have on your mind already but I wanted to inform you that some of the issues presented in the video can be fixed by using zscript function LineTrace that 'draws' a line between an actor and some point in front of it and is able to pull out a lot of possibly useful information about level geometry or other actors in front of the player.

I've made a quick and dirty example in case it can be useful for your project.

Detection range is relatively short to mimic your behaviour but it can be as long as needed. Or you can trace multiple lines to collect different data for you.
This can be used to detect lines that player can activate as well, in my quick example it just prints "you look at switch" instead of "you look at wall".
All information is spammed into the console.
Attachments
VariousThingDetector.pk3
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

It's cool you took the incentive to do something like this to help others. I will recommend this around.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@peewee_RotA - Thank you for your comment :) If you'd like to contribute any suggestions or to help optimize/improve the current features currently in the mod, my team and I would be more than happy :)

@Proydoha - Cool! Thank you :) I will definitely check it out.

@SanyaWaffles - Thank you :)

-Alando1

Post by Guest »

Hi! First off, well done on the mod. I never knew this existed all the time I've been playing Doom mods. I've shared this page to a small discord server I'm in with people who are interested in giving this a go. One major obstacle however are the menus.... I'm not sure the best way to handle it, but the best way I know how would be to use OCR functionality of a screen reader to get it done. Might it be possible for you to change some things in the menus?

For OCR to work, it might be best for the background to be a solid dark color like black and all the text be bright like white and yellow for example instead of dark red. Also, might it be possible to have the main menu, episode, and difficulty text changed to match that of the settings menu?? Either an update to this mod or a separate file would be fine, what ever is best if you are able to help? If you are unable to help, that's fine, but thanks in advance for ANY information you can provide!!

I'm still waiting on someone to test OCR using LionOCR which is an addon for NVDA though I may test it myself when I get the chance. Regular OCR doesn't seem to work, so it's either LionOCR or combining a couple programs I found which almost works.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@Eugene Pezzlewood - Hi, Eugene. Sorry for the late response. The menu has been a key issue we have been looking into for a while. We aren't sure how we could get it to be visually impaired friendly, however, when GZDoom becomes more and more updated, there may be a chance we could have some form of menu navigation for the blind. OCR, unfortunately, has not been implemented into GZDoom. It has been brought up to Graf Zahl in another thread ( viewtopic.php?f=18&t=70276 ) but I feel this feature may not be considered. If there are enough demands and requests, perhaps it would be enough to convince him.

In regard to settings, I did put together a pre-configured version of GZDoom 4.5.0. All the player has to do is provide the DOOM2 IWAD and they're good to go. If anyone wanted to learn how to get the mod running, I recommend checking out IllegallySighted's YouTube channel where he demonstrates the Toby Accessibility Mod and mentions how to start it up.

Thank you for your kind words and thank you for sharing the mod project with other people.

-Alando1
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, just a brief update. I've been working on a second map pack lately. I hope to release this in the next couple of weeks. There, too, will be an small update to the first map pack and that will be released at the same time as the second map pack. I will keep all of you posted so stay tuned :)

-Alando1

Return to “General”