VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED September 1, 2022

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rowsol

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED May 31

Post by Rowsol »

How about lowering the health of some of the baron variants and moving them to the hellknight spawner.
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

Rowsol wrote:How about lowering the health of some of the baron variants and moving them to the hellknight spawner.
For the neutral monsters only or the main randomizer?

I’ve thought about it before because Baron has so many more.
I’ve probably prioritized Baron because Hell Knight is not in the first Doom.
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

I hope I'm just missing something obvious, but does anyone know why adding this line crashes the game?:
(bolded and larger text at the "See" state)
Spoiler:
Crashes as soon as Roach sees or hears me.
It doesn't just crash the game, but freezes my computer the way I've had to force shut it down.

Disabling the line below it "ROAC B 0 A_JumpIfInventory("RoachScared", 1, 2)" makes it work fine.

I'm trying to add a limit for Roach. So it can't fully heal more than once. The jump directly to "Death" state is only temporary until I get it to work.
I've added stuff like this before with no problems. Like limiting how many times Incarnate can resurrect.
Can't figure this one out. Why those 2 lines can't be one after another?
I also tried making it a completely separate inventory, but it happened the same way.

It’s fine if my computer crashes while testing. I just don’t want to leave anything in the mod that could do it to others.

Edit:
I managed to do what I needed without solving this issue.:
Last edited by Plynthus on Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plynthus

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED June 5

Post by Plynthus »

JUNE 5th UPDATE:

-Added an option for non-zombie monsters to also drop ammo.
Options are: OFF, 25% chance, 50% chance, 75% chance, Always, Always + equal chance for every ammo type.
It's OFF by default. It's mainly there as a backup. For example if you're playing something that doesn't have many zombie enemies, you're also not going to get any extra ammo.
Normally ammo drops from monsters will only give you half the value, but these will give full. I'd recommend starting from "25% chance" if you feel like you need it.
Quick example how it works:

-Added a healing limit for Roach(that green imp replacer that has a lot of health), and gave it an additional alternate attack.
It used to be able to heal itself forever.
If you hurt it enough it will trigger a state where it runs away from you until it's healed enough.
Now when that happens, if it manages to heal itself as high as it can. After that it won't be able to heal at all anymore. And will shoot slightly more powerful red versions of its normal shots.

-Doubled the mass of "HereticDarkImp" and "PlaugeImp".
Originally I scaled them to make them bigger to fit better to replace Cacodemon. But I never changed the mass. Now they're still light and will fly further away than Cacodemon when shot, but less than before.

-Moved a replacer: "Lord Of Heresy" from "Baron of Hell replacers" to "Hell Knight replacers" with reduced health.
VDP-NeutralMonsters was also updated for this change.

+some small changes here and there which I didn't write down.

June 8th (very small update)
-Tornado Demon is no longer invulnerable during it's tornado spin attack. And can be interrupted if your attack triggers its pain state.
(this was supposed to be in previous update, but somehow I had missed it)

-Fixed BlindPinky dropping too much ammo when the new "Non-zombie monsters also drop ammo" option was on.

No update for "VDP-NeutralMonsters"

June 27th
-Added a new monster for Spectre:
"KDiZDNightmare"
VDP-NeutralMonsters was also updated for this.
Someone64

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED June 27

Post by Someone64 »

I made a CCARDS.txt lump for use with Corruption Cards. Due to the fact that a lot of monsters don't have species set correctly, Corruption Cards won't properly give species of monsters effects and will instead keep picking individual monsters to give effects to most of if not all the time. The way I set it up might not be perfect or that intuitive. I basically set the monsters to be grouped by their spawn replacers rather than their actual species with the exception of the monster mixers (which are instead grouped with their original spawn replacers). I also might've made some typos (I probably caught most of them. Might only be 1-3 mistakes) because I did this at 1 AM and also got tired of the repetitive CTRL+C and CTRL+V which would make my left hand hurt more than just typing everything out so... I manually typed a third of it out instead (idk either). Should be loaded after CCards and VDP. Feel free to include this in your mod if you wish.

Side question, why don't the monster mixer spawns include rebalanced "vanilla" versions of the Pain Elementals, Hell Knights, and Chaingunners? I can see they're commented out in the spawners but they have no adjusted equivalent. Did I miss them or did you forget to make them when you made the mixer versions of all the variants?
Attachments
VDPCCardsSpeciesCompat.pk3
Contains nothing but the CCARDS.txt file inside.
(3.88 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

Someone64 wrote:I made a CCARDS.txt lump for use with Corruption Cards. Due to the fact that a lot of monsters don't have species set correctly, Corruption Cards won't properly give species of monsters effects and will instead keep picking individual monsters to give effects to most of if not all the time. The way I set it up might not be perfect or that intuitive. I basically set the monsters to be grouped by their spawn replacers rather than their actual species with the exception of the monster mixers (which are instead grouped with their original spawn replacers). I also might've made some typos (I probably caught most of them. Might only be 1-3 mistakes) because I did this at 1 AM and also got tired of the repetitive CTRL+C and CTRL+V which would make my left hand hurt more than just typing everything out so... I manually typed a third of it out instead (idk either). Should be loaded after CCards and VDP. Feel free to include this in your mod if you wish.

Side question, why don't the monster mixer spawns include rebalanced "vanilla" versions of the Pain Elementals, Hell Knights, and Chaingunners? I can see they're commented out in the spawners but they have no adjusted equivalent. Did I miss them or did you forget to make them when you made the mixer versions of all the variants?
Wow that's a lot of work you've done for this. Thanks a lot!

But I need to know how the species were not set correctly? And what exactly does it change?
Everytime I add a monster I test them out. And they've all worked, with very few exceptions.
Like some monsters that cause radius damage, hitscan, fire damage, and maybe there was something else. Those damage types cause infighting even when the monsters belong to same species.
Sometimes I've altered those monsters attacks to not include those type attacks. But for few it felt like it would change the monsters too much.
I've tested a lot of that stuff so far and it's been working for me. Other than the few exceptions... Like PyroImp, CGunSpider and one or two Baron replacers that shoot rockets.

Also all the Zombies, Lost Souls, Spider Masterminds infight with their own kind. So I left all that on purpose.

About the side question. I wanted to have them, but I left them out on purpose. Because that's intended for Doom 1.
And I would have to include the sprites and sounds for those enemies in the mod. Otherwise they would be invisible and silent. And I don't think it's exactly legal to share those in a mod.
But then again I do have a lot of Hexen and Heretic stuff there which has the same issue. I had seen them in other monster randomizers, and I added them before I even knew I was going to make this mod available for everyone. But it's still questionable if they should be there at all anymore.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

When I was playing CCards it seemed that a lot of effects wouldn't apply to a lot of monsters in the same species for some reason so I decided to make sure. It seems that a few monsters didn't seem to have species set for some reason, too. CCards uses species to apply effects to entire species all at once so for example, if you have a lot of Chaingunner variants in a level CCards will not only apply effects to one of the Chaingunner types but all of the Chaingunner species enemies at once.

Perhaps you can ask a moderator about including sprites and sounds of those enemies for Doom 1? Or would it just be possible to optionally allow loading Doom 2 along with Doom 1? I kinda remember seeing one other mod do that but I can't remember it off the top of my head.
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

Someone64 wrote:When I was playing CCards it seemed that a lot of effects wouldn't apply to a lot of monsters in the same species for some reason so I decided to make sure. It seems that a few monsters didn't seem to have species set for some reason, too. CCards uses species to apply effects to entire species all at once so for example, if you have a lot of Chaingunner variants in a level CCards will not only apply effects to one of the Chaingunner types but all of the Chaingunner species enemies at once.

Perhaps you can ask a moderator about including sprites and sounds of those enemies for Doom 1? Or would it just be possible to optionally allow loading Doom 2 along with Doom 1? I kinda remember seeing one other mod do that but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Ok, I misunderstood everything...
CCards/Corruption Cards is a separate mod. I thought CCards was a ZDoom feature that I just wasn't aware of.
And I thought you made it to fix something that's broken specifically in my mod. And to me the species stuff has been working as intended.
And I was a bit confused when you talked about some effects not applying. Should have just looked it up right away. Sorry.

So then I only have one question. Which I already am 99% sure of.
If you're not playing with CCards, then your CCards file would not have any affect on the game?

If so, I could put it in there with the next update(currently not in the works) and give you the credit.

Also I'll see what I do in the future with those Doom II monsters for monster mixer. I've also seen mods that add Super Shotgun to Doom1. It requires the sounds and sprites as well.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Plynthus wrote:Ok, I misunderstood everything...
CCards/Corruption Cards is a separate mod. I thought CCards was a ZDoom feature that I just wasn't aware of.
And I thought you made it to fix something that's broken specifically in my mod. And to me the species stuff has been working as intended.
And I was a bit confused when you talked about some effects not applying. Should have just looked it up right away. Sorry.

So then I only have one question. Which I already am 99% sure of.
If you're not playing with CCards, then your CCards file would not have any affect on the game?

If so, I could put it in there with the next update(currently not in the works) and give you the credit.

Also I'll see what I do in the future with those Doom II monsters for monster mixer. I've also seen mods that add Super Shotgun to Doom1. It requires the sounds and sprites as well.
Unless another mod out there is specifically made to use that CCards lump, it shouldn't affect anything.

I've uploaded a new version of the lump file that doesn't include all the card related stuff so nobody has to update the file when new cards are added to Corruption Cards or something. Still have to update it with new monsters if any are added to the randomizer, though.
Attachments
VDPCCardsSpeciesCompat.pk3
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Scojo
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED March 6

Post by Scojo »

I'm looking to remove and add a few monsters to this but I'm not sure where to start. Could you point me in the directions I'll need to do this?
Plynthus

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED March 6

Post by Plynthus »

Scojo wrote:I'm looking to remove and add a few monsters to this but I'm not sure where to start. Could you point me in the directions I'll need to do this?
Scojo,
sorry for such a late reply.

If you even see this comment and you're still interested.

Removing monsters I would do by only disabling them. Instead of completely removing everything including sprites and sounds.
Because a lot of monsters share sounds and even some sprites. Like fire/smoke/projectiles. I've removed all the duplicate sprites/sounds that I've noticed.
So removing sprites for one monster could break 5 others.

So easiest way to disable specific monsters is by:
-Open VDP-MonsterRandomizer.pk3 using Slade
-Open "DECORATE" folder
-Open one of the .txt files which has a normal Doom monster name(Zombieman.txt, Doomimp.txt, Hellknight.txt etc.)
-Look for a line "ACTOR (monster name)Replacers : RandomSpawner2"

you should find a list like this(example from Zombieman.txt):
DropItem "FemaleZombie" 255, 120
DropItem "FemalePlasma" 255, 30
DropItem "ChainsawZombie" 255, 10
DropItem "Machinegunguy" 255, 50
DropItem "KamikaziGuy" 255, 5
DropItem "BeamGuy" 255, 25

to disable any monster from spawning. just add // in front of the "DropItem..."
for example:
//DropItem "FemaleZombie" 255, 120
this makes the line into a comment. which means anything written on that line is not code, and will not effect the game. and it's easy to bring back by just removing those //.

Also if you want to change Spawn chances. You can increase or decrease the last number on each line.

After editing save the .txt file and save the actual VDP-MonsterRandomizer.pk3 file.

There is little more than that there for different settings and stuff. But I think this is a good start, and hopefully not too complicated.

I won't try to explain how to add new monsters in this comment.
It's a bit more complicated. And because I don't know if you'll even see this comment, or if you are still interested.
But I'll give more advice if you(or anyone else reading) ask for it.

I meant to reply a lot sooner, but I knew this was going to be a lot to write. Sorry I didn't mean to take this long. I'm always happy to help if I can. Even if it takes longer sometimes.
Plynthus

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED July 16

Post by Plynthus »

New update:

-added new monster replacers for:

Lost Soul:
ImpBat, GiantBat and Harpy

(ImpBat and GiantBat have "sleeping" variants in the code. I tried adding them as decoration object replacers. But they would always spawn on the floor instead of ceiling like Hangman. Couldn't get them to work right. So for now they're disabled.)

Cacodemon:
BloodGhost

Arachnotron:
ZombiePlasmaTank

-updated these monsters(with the actual updates from Realm667):

SlimeWorm

(visuals, sounds and behaviour. this one I added as a variant for the older version. but I updated the sounds of the older version as well. because the new ones are much better in my opinion.)

RotWraith
(visuals, sounds and behaviour. plus added RotWraithBuried variant as a decoration object replacer for "BigTree")

SuperDemon
(visuals and behaviour.)

-added an option to disable arch-vile replacers being able to resurrect dead monsters.
(only few of them can do that anyway. but because there are so many different monsters it's hard to keep track which ones can do stuff like resurrect others.)

-added some missing monsters when using the "monster mixer" settings.

-updated a decoration replacer "swarm(swarm of flies that burst out of a dead body)" to always replace the dead monsters with correct dead body.
(it used to replace dead player, dead demon, dead imp, dead zombie man and dead shotgunguy all with a random dead body.)

-Cleaned up a lot of the code in Miscellaneous.txt and Menus.txt.
(won't effect gameplay at all. but it's easier to understand if you want to edit the mod)

-made zscript actors their own .txt lumps instead of having them all in one.
(also doesn't affect gameplay)

VDP-NeutralMonsters.pk3 was also updated for these changes.
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

To anyone who downloaded the latest version(July 16th):

If you're ever planning to use other mods with it.
Please re-download it.

I had removed a line of code which I thought was meaningless.
But when I tried to load it with autoloads on. All the monsters were default ones.
So it has some compatibility issues which shouldn't be there.
It's fixed now.

Really sorry about this one.

(VDP-NeutralMonsters.pk3 didn't have this problem)
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

EDIT: This is fixed now!
If you see "July 17th 2022 version" in the replacer settings menu then you have the fixed version.

This was the problem with earlier versions:

Okay apparently there also is a problem with Map Specials with newer versions of GZDOOM.

The same problem happens even with the older versions of this mod. So no need to avoid downloading the new one.

details:
Spoiler:
Plynthus

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED July 20

Post by Plynthus »

One more update for now.
No new monsters this time. But this increases compatibility with a lot of wads that use more advanced map formats.

Details:
Spoiler:
This change also makes this mod work only on GZDoom 4.7.0 or newer.
If you're using an older one you can load this with the main mod file:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vmlbdjxf ... y.pk3/file

VDP-NeutralMonsters was also updated.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”