Dehacked Attack v4.0 & Dehacked Defense v3.0

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
PokeParty445
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Dehacked Attack v1.5 - Blast from the Past (And Present)

Post by PokeParty445 »

Untitled wrote:Weirdly enough, I haven't actually heard that as a suggestion, which somewhat makes sense - historically, most monster randomization mods (though there are some that pre-date me in this feature) tend to be just that: fully random, with maybe a tweak here or there. Originally, I also went full random (before release), but as I added more and more monster sets, I realized that turning all of them on at once results in the experience being a bit of a mess, to put it mildly. In the end, I separated it by mapset because it was the most in theme with what the mod represents.

Level Scaling was the big feature I'm the most proud of in that sense, because, while the choices are odd (since they're inherited from their original WADs - and I'm strongly considering changing that, but the problem is it's much harder to make judgement calls on that), it allows the experience as a full wad playthrough (for megawads, at least) to be kind of less messy, getting gradually crazier until it finally goes all out at the end of the megawad.

With 75+ monsters (oh geez) expanding the sets by individual monsters starts making the menu unwieldy to actually use (there's a reason there's a enable/disable all option at the top of the monster set options), plus, while it isn't necessarily hard to implement, it's very time consuming and for the most part this isn't a project I really intend to spend that many hours on, mostly because while I still enjoy the Doom community and whatnot, I'm not nearly as invested in it as I used to be. It's a tenuous maybe, though there are a few select monsters that are well-known enough that I might extract them out of their respective monster sets and make them separate.

The main issue with the mini-cyberdemons, in my experience, is that I vastly underestimated just how friggin' common revenants are in most modern megawads, which meant the figure I used as their spawn chance, 10%, is actually far more common than it probably should be for something that, you know, fires cyberdemon rockets.
Oh I was implying I absolutely adore the mini-cyberdemons! They hurt like hell but oh my lord they are the cutest fucking things lmao. But yeah I suppose that makes sense! I haven't actually tried the Level Scaling feature yet, maybe I'll have to do that next time! I completely understand why it's rather tedious though, now that you do mention it most randomizers don't usually give that option so I suppose it makes sense.

Still a wonderful monster randomizer nonetheless. I've been looking for one that feels more Doom-like overall, and the fact it works with Zandronum, if that was intended or not I'm not sure, is a godsend.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

Wait, it does? I thought Zandronum lacked RenderStyle Subtract, which a few monsters use (enabled by CVar). Ah well, I can't remember what we have or don't have anymore, but it's a nice bonus; for the most part (for obvious reasons) none of the monsters in this require advanced features.
PokeParty445
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by PokeParty445 »

Untitled wrote:Wait, it does? I thought Zandronum lacked RenderStyle Subtract, which a few monsters use (enabled by CVar). Ah well, I can't remember what we have or don't have anymore, but it's a nice bonus; for the most part (for obvious reasons) none of the monsters in this require advanced features.
Yep! I've had no issues with using it on Zandronum multiplayer wise, doesn't show any errors GZDoom doesn't show either, so hey, I'll take it while I can lmao.
Untitled

Re: Dehacked Attack v2.0 - Blast from the Past (And Present)

Post by Untitled »

V2.0! Version bumped significantly because, again, large update. Just download the repository if you want the small ones.

2.0 adds the following monster sets:

- Scimitar (Cycloid, 2006)
- 180 Minutes Pour Vivre (French Doom Community, 2018)
- Avactor: End of the Fifth Circle (Eradrop, 2018)
- Maskim Xul (Obsidian, 2018)
It ALSO adds a new level scaling feature, where you can sort it by monster tier, which introduces monsters in a slower and much more episodic manner, rather than using the original map numbers exclusively (which gets a bit wonky due to the number of wads represented that weren't full megawads). Between these two features, it's a pretty fun release.

Enjoy!
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

I'd like to make a request:

Monsters from Unholy Software's Codename HYENA: Killer Machine, a doom mod. (idk if that mod uses dehacked...)
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

YukesVonFaust wrote:I'd like to make a request:

Monsters from Unholy Software's Codename HYENA: Killer Machine, a doom mod. (idk if that mod uses dehacked...)
Automatically denied for a simple reason: I can't actually get the wad to run, and I'm not implementing monsters without actually knowing their behavior. Sorry.
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

This is actually pretty cool. Using the monster sets from specific megawads. It's like final doomer, but with a bestiary
openroadracer
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

So, really nice enemy mod. Lots of variety, deep pool of different .WADs pulled from. But I have a question not directly related to the mod...

Does anyone have a mapset that's literally just a continuous series of Icon of Sin fights? I want to try out all of the different Final Boss enemies in this mod, but that would normally entail slogging through 29 maps(or possibly 31, if you include secret levels) to get to the IoS. Can someone set me up, please?
DreemurrDeceevurr
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 version 22H2

Post by DreemurrDeceevurr »

Untitled wrote:
YukesVonFaust wrote:I'd like to make a request:

Automatically denied for a simple reason: I can't actually get the wad to run, and I'm not implementing monsters without actually knowing their behavior. Sorry.
If I'm not mistaken that mod does not run at all in GZDoom, throwing up an error about skins. Try using PRBoom+, Crispy Doom or Eternity?
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

openroadracer wrote:So, really nice enemy mod. Lots of variety, deep pool of different .WADs pulled from. But I have a question not directly related to the mod...

Does anyone have a mapset that's literally just a continuous series of Icon of Sin fights? I want to try out all of the different Final Boss enemies in this mod, but that would normally entail slogging through 29 maps(or possibly 31, if you include secret levels) to get to the IoS. Can someone set me up, please?
Alternatively, you can just warp via console map commands - that's how I tested all of the bosses (for loose definitions of the word "test").
openroadracer
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

Post by openroadracer »

Untitled wrote:Alternatively, you can just warp via console map commands - that's how I tested all of the bosses (for loose definitions of the word "test").
I mean, yes, I know about that, but that would basically require you to reset after each test, and start all over again.

I would just want to be able to take on all of them, one after the other, in a series of epic battles. That's why I'm asking this.
Untitled

Re: Dehacked Attack v2.1 & Dehacked Defense v1.0

Post by Untitled »

BIG UPDATE!

NOW INTRODUCING: DEHACKED DEFENSE!

It's Dehacked Attack but it's weapons instead of monsters.

Works virtually the same way that Dehacked Attack does, except for a few catches:
1. It's class-based, and your starting gear is determined entirely by what class you select at the start of the game.
2. The weapon pickup system is either class-based (weapons limited to what the original WAD could use) or randomizer-based (all weapons spawn, limited only to whatever weapon sets you have selected in the menu).

It's also fully multiplayer and Zandronum compatible, so you can have fun with the classes there, too!

(Check OP for download link.)

Additionally, there's Dehacked Attack 2.1, which fixes:
- Adds a new attack to the Heresy Lord that I missed the first time.
- Fixed an erroneous pain animation in the Antaresia that was leftover from an older version of Antersian Reliquary.
- In multiplayer mode, bosses will now scale their health with the number of players, so custom final boss battles should get fairly interesting...
DreemurrDeceevurr
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 version 22H2

Post by DreemurrDeceevurr »

The STRAIN sawed-off is missing it's pickup sprite and the Leichenfaust has no explosion.
ClessxAlghazanth

Post by ClessxAlghazanth »

Wow , a bit late to the party but I must say I'm amazed how much monster variety this mod has , even more considering the small file size :D

An option to adjust the spawn chance of a specific monster set (eg. vanilla %50 valiant%50 ) would make a great addition imo 8-)

Any future plans on this project ?

Best regards
Untitled

Re: Dehacked Attack v2.1 & Dehacked Defense v1.1

Post by Untitled »

DreemurrDeceevurr wrote:The STRAIN sawed-off is missing it's pickup sprite and the Leichenfaust has no explosion.
Thanks for reporting, both of these are fixed and packaged up in 1.1.
ClessxAlghazanth wrote:Wow , a bit late to the party but I must say I'm amazed how much monster variety this mod has , even more considering the small file size :D
File sizes tend to be small when you consider most of the mods here were designed for a pre-zdoom-shattering-all-limits era. It's all very simple, and the few sounds that exist tend to be relatively small.
ClessxAlghazanth wrote:An option to adjust the spawn chance of a specific monster set (eg. vanilla %50 valiant%50 ) would make a great addition imo 8-)
The problem is that many monster sets don't have equal spawning odds on a per-slot basis (for example: STRAIN's doppelganger, a lost soul replacement, spawns 15% of the time, but STRAIN's Minister of Hate, a revenant replacement, spawns a mere 5% of the time) so on a base level this requires rethinking how the entire spawn balance is handled, but the bigger and much much more impossible to get around issue is that DECORATE RandomSpawners are just too inflexible.

The way Dehacked Attack works is that basically every single monster set is effectively set to spawn 100% of the time via RandomSpawner, but the actor that is actually spawned checks for whether or not the monster is actually eligible to spawn at all, and if it isn't, it 'demotes' to a weaker monster. This system isn't flexible enough to adjust spawning odds on a per-actor basis, and even if it was, I'm not sure I'd have the dedication to write the code for it.
ClessxAlghazanth wrote:Any future plans on this project ?
There's a possibility of including a few new wads, but probably after some waiting and seeing. The next mod to be added to Dehacked Attack is probably Doom -1, though if there's any other mods you want to request, I'll check them out for whether or not their implementation is likely.
ClessxAlghazanth wrote:Best regards
Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”