Realm667 repository download access denied

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
The BMFG

Re: Realm667 repository download access denied

Post by The BMFG »

Tormentor667 wrote:I do get your points, all fine and reasonable - it was just my first thought of restricting hotlinking (or actually the easiest change from my perspective). In the meantime I was able to prevent this in a different way. You can now download content again without login in. Problem solved.
Good. i cant understand why someone would want to restrict downloading content off of their website by making so that you have to have an account. im glad you fixed this issue in realm667.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I already explained it, it was because of the hotlinking from other sites.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Fascinating discussion. One can learn so much :o
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I just want to say Tormentor667 that I greatly appreciate the quick reversal on this decision, so thank you. :)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Rachael wrote:I just want to say Tormentor667 that I greatly appreciate the quick reversal on this decision, so thank you. :)
You made reasonable points, so thanks for that as well :)
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Here's what it looks like from my perspective:
1. All of a sudden I can't download resources from R667. I have to login first. Okay, so I head over to the register-account page.
2. The captcha is broken. It's simply not displaying. I cannot register an account.

This is already a bad situation. You've locked the entire R667 repository and if I don't already have an account I can't get one. Apparently this was resolved, but then we get to today's issue:

3. I post on the guestbook, telling you to fix the site.
4. I get an email stating that I have a reply on that guestbook page.
5. I go to the page and I get *THIS*: https://imgur.com/a/HSlBTj5

Care to explain why I can no longer access r667 at all? Why my username is in the 403 page?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Consider this to be a time limited-ban because of the offensive entry you‘ve posted. I am not your servant.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Tormentor667 wrote:Consider this to be a time limited-ban because of the offensive entry you‘ve posted. I am not your servant.
Alright, but ignoring the negativity, the overarching point is that the Captcha system apparently is malfunctioning. Maybe that occurred because of when you re-opened R667, i can't say.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Negativity aside, I think some people really need to think a bit before hotlinking to resources hosted on other sites. You are actually hurting the site you link to due to increased and uncontrolled traffic, possibly to a large extent by bots.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

dawnbreez wrote:This is already a bad situation. You've locked the entire R667 repository and if I don't already have an account I can't get one. Apparently this was resolved, but then we get to today's issue:

Care to explain why I can no longer access r667 at all? Why my username is in the 403 page?
I'm going to be backing Torm on this one. I didn't even need to read his response to know what you said here was pretty ugly and that you aren't telling the whole story.

Your anger does NOT give you the right to be an asshole to people, no matter how much you perceive them to be in the wrong.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Tormentor667 wrote:Consider this to be a time limited-ban because of the offensive entry you‘ve posted. I am not your servant.
Rachael wrote:
dawnbreez wrote:This is already a bad situation. You've locked the entire R667 repository and if I don't already have an account I can't get one. Apparently this was resolved, but then we get to today's issue:

I'm going to be backing Torm on this one. I didn't even need to read his response to know what you said here was pretty ugly and that you aren't telling the whole story.

Your anger does NOT give you the right to be an asshole to people, no matter how much you perceive them to be in the wrong.
I'll admit, telling Torm to "fix [his] fucking website" was probably over the line. I should know better than to post while angry.

It is also true that Torm's not obligated to do anything on my behalf. R667 is Torm's site and Torm can run it however he likes.

That said, I've been out of the loop on the entire thing. I didn't know why I'd been banned until Torm replied to this thread. I didn't know what was going on with the downloads beyond needing an account. I'm not just frustrated by the site being broken, I'm frustrated because I didn't know why this is happening or if anyone was even aware of the problem.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Redneckerz wrote:Alright, but ignoring the negativity, the overarching point is that the Captcha system apparently is malfunctioning. Maybe that occurred because of when you re-opened R667, i can't say.
This is definitely strange, I tried it and the reCaptcha from Google works fine for me (tried it on Firefox). What browsers did you use and what exactly didnt work? (btw, gonna reply to your pms soon, just hadn't time yet, sorry for that man :( )
dawnbreez wrote:I'll admit, telling Torm to "fix [his] fucking website" was probably over the line. I should know better than to post while angry.
You should be able to access the site again.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Tormentor667 wrote:What browsers did you use and what exactly didnt work?
I was on Firefox; the captcha image and textbox simply aren't loading. Here's a screencap of the registration page, with NoScript's config open to show that I've got r667 set as "Trusted": https://imgur.com/BqPJ57r

In addition, here's the frontpage. I don't know if this is related or not, but I don't see any news posts here--again, the content just fails to load: https://imgur.com/p5M9o88

I hope this helps. Thank you for being patient with me; I made an awful first impression and I appreciate that you're letting me make a second impression.

EDIT: Chrome seems to work just fine once I click "OK" on the cookie notification. I didn't see the cookie notification on FF. Maybe that's all it is?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

dawnbreez wrote:EDIT: Chrome seems to work just fine once I click "OK" on the cookie notification. I didn't see the cookie notification on FF. Maybe that's all it is?
I have reason to suspect it could be; I've been noticing some features of the website break entirely if you haven't accepted cookies.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

It obviously is a problem with accepting cookies or not. Can you retry if the propblem persists if you accept cookies with Firefox?

Return to “General”