MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MetaDoom v7 "Ghost" (UPDATED!!! p124)

Post by Kinsie »

Gez wrote:
Kinsie wrote:The number of Marauders that can spawn in a level are capped based on the number of levels you've completed. They emerge from Deathmatch spawn points placed by the level designer, so that's also a factor in their frequency or lack thereof.
What about levels with a separate deathmatch arena, where it's usually not possible to move to the single player/coop part of the level?
Yeah, that means they'll just be sitting there twiddling their thumbs in their little portals for the entire map. I'm not really sure of a graceful way to handle that that either wouldn't suck for the player (ie. slipping the occasional Marauder spawn into secret sectors) or would require me to manually LevelPostProcessor DM spawns into such maps, but next release I'll look into potentially making untriggered Marauder spawns stop counting as monsters when the Exit is triggered so that 100%s can still happen.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: MetaDoom v7 "Ghost" (UPDATED!!! p124)

Post by openroadracer »

Kinsie wrote:Yeah, that means they'll just be sitting there twiddling their thumbs in their little portals for the entire map. I'm not really sure of a graceful way to handle that that either wouldn't suck for the player (ie. slipping the occasional Marauder spawn into secret sectors) or would require me to manually LevelPostProcessor DM spawns into such maps, but next release I'll look into potentially making untriggered Marauder spawns stop counting as monsters when the Exit is triggered so that 100%s can still happen.
Even worse would be Bourgeois DM, which, despite the name, has full singleplayer support that basically replicates the maps as separate copies within a single playable map for the SP/coop version and the DM version. As such, you'd have to figure out some way to translate the coordinates for the Marauder portals from the DM version of the map to the SP/coop version.
Gez

Re: MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" (UPDATED!!! p127)

Post by Gez »

Perhaps the other way around, only make them count when triggered?
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Saying this before getting the new version:
I remember when Summoners were once the last showing enemy, so it's interesting that now Titantulas and Infernis show up post 20.
It probably helps with the pacing and content variety but i also thought that the "pre/until map 20" concept was a safety measure for wads that are supposed to have less than a specific number of maps but still have 30 maps (that just aren't replaced/are Doom 2 vanilla), so i always thought the mod would still count those, meaning some content is never shown because some maps still secretly exist even if they're not supposed to.

I've also had like 4 Marauders in the Abandoned Mines and of course Icon of Sin would mean suffering.
Then again, i picked UV plus, i asked for it, didn't it?

I also thought Quad Damage stopped spawning health near it, considering it's a Berserk replacement at times.
Spoiler:
Miru

Post by Miru »

whatup876 wrote:Saying this before getting the new version:
I remember when Summoners were once the last showing enemy, so it's interesting that now Titantulas and Infernis show up post 20.
It probably helps with the pacing and content variety but i also thought that the "pre/until map 20" concept was a safety measure for wads that are supposed to have less than a specific number of maps but still have 30 maps (that just aren't replaced/are Doom 2 vanilla), so i always thought the mod would still count those, meaning some content is never shown because some maps still secretly exist even if they're not supposed to.

I've also had like 4 Marauders in the Abandoned Mines and of course Icon of Sin would mean suffering.
Then again, i picked UV plus, i asked for it, didn't it?

I also thought Quad Damage stopped spawning health near it, considering it's a Berserk replacement at times.
Spoiler:
On the subject of
Spoiler:
zm5

Post by zm5 »

Does anyone else get a trojan warning from Windows Defender while trying to download 7.1?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

zm5 wrote:Does anyone else get a trojan warning from Windows Defender while trying to download 7.1?
Not getting this here, and a quick scan of the file using Windows Defender gives me an all-clear.
Miru

Post by Miru »

Quick bug report, coming through.

* The soulsphere STILL doesn't display a codex entry when you get it. (actually, an entry doesn't exist yet)
* Shouldn't the Forgotten Ones require Doom 2 as a prerequisite to be in the Codex, as they spawn only from a Beholder (which requires Doom 2 to spawn)? Or are there plans to have them spawn on their own?
* On MAP15 of Doom 2 (using a full-run mod for WadSmoosh), the switch in the yellow key room never appears, even when I slay all the enemies.
RedClairefield

Post by RedClairefield »

female doom player sure has hairy arms...
LORDPINKY_DINKS

Post by LORDPINKY_DINKS »

does this have nightmare imps and outher doom 64 demon variants ?
im loving the mod so far
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

LORDPINKY_DINKS wrote:does this have nightmare imps and outher doom 64 demon variants ?
im loving the mod so far
it does, if you keep playing through big enough mapsets or even idkfa to see the codex.
if you look at the code from either slade or the github, you can spawn some of them if you get the right names.
but a true spoiler-free surprise might be more ideal.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

By default, Nightmare Imps start spawning in darker areas after you've beaten around 7 levels (2 in episodes like Doom 1 or No Rest).

If you go to MetaDoom Options > Spawning Options and set "Intelligent Spawn Rules" to "Content Locust", though, all monster variants will start appearing from the first map. Which may not be entirely balanced, but it's a fun way to see (and get killed by) everything!
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

So I just had another one of my silly ideas. What if TNT Map31's Cyberdemon was replaced with Khnum as a nod to Croteam's Doom 4?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I had plans for at least one more Cyberdemon variant - Kronos from Doom RPG. He would have acted more or less like the Quake 1 Vore attack-wise. Sprites, though...
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

The closest i can see being used as reference for Kronos would be either that one 4 armed Doom Hunter prop in the cultist base or a 4 armed skeleton demon in 2016's Boneyard. even then, i can see being annoying to rip those specific models and clean them heavily.
I do recall DrPySpy remaking the Brier/Watcher from D2RPG by using bits of the Doom hunter and Eternal Arch-vile but it might've been just a project done for fun or exercise, so it might not be finished.
https://twitter.com/DrPyspy/status/1377747840051470340
oh wait, PySpy once did an HD Kronos too now that i recall it.

To me, a cool idea for a Cyberdemon variant would have been the red "double" model for 64, but he would seem even more out-of-field than the alpha Lost Soul. this is a design that only existed as a model in some old photos and never had any 3d model or sprites. a similar reach would've been that one demon in the 3DO port's files.

I also realized this: because the inventory now uses cooldowns and no longer shared number/ammo like before, i think that could make it easier for the Personal Teleporter from 2016 to be shown.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”