Untitled's Touhou Doom Gameplay Mods (Yes, Plural)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Untitled's Touhou Doom Gameplay Mods (Yes, Plural)

Post by Untitled »

TheGrandGumby wrote:I love these allies!

I've made a wad version of the allies, which allows it to be nested into a pk3. (Many have told me this is considered bad practice, but the purpose is to be friendly to mod creators.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smy9z4ipyj2kp ... 1.wad?dl=0

I'm including these in my Oblige mod: https://github.com/mridlen/Oblige_Realm667 (default = turned off). Let me know if this is a problem, and I can remove them.
It's bad practice because it's very inefficient - long story shorts WADs are a packed form of data, which the ZDoom client needs to unpack - which means effectively the engine has to unpack the .pk3 file, and then unpack the .wad from within the .pk3 again. It's not usually an issue (computers are fast), but in fringe cases this can cause mods to run significantly worse. Touhou Doom was one such case - when I converted Touhou Doom from a stack of wads inside a .pk3 to semi-proper .pk3 structure (the only data still in .wad form is data relating to the maps in some form), performance improved significantly.
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

I want Danmaku Monster version instead but nvm i should pick this :(
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

YasuoProjectX wrote:I want Danmaku Monster version instead but nvm i should pick this :(
You probably should check the options, then.

I added those sliders so you got some choice in what to encounter.
marco.nadal.75

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

I skimmed the TouhouDoom thread as well as this one.
To get the complete, best possible Touhou experience in Doom, is this the correct load order?

touhoudoom_v1.23.pk3
TouhouDoomEnemies_r15.pk3
TouhouDoomWeapons_r9.pk3
TouhouDoomAllies_r11.pk3

When I run this in GZDoom 4.4.2 or 4.5.0

I get the following error:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "TouhouDoomEnemies_r15.pk3:cvarinfo" line 1:
cvar 'touhou_nospellcards' already exists

If I delete the CVARINFO.txt from TouhouDoomEnemies_r15.pk3,
I get a whole lot of warnings, and the following error:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "TouhouDoomAllies_r11.pk3:decorate/allies/reimu_ally.txt" line 923:
Script error, "TouhouDoomAllies_r11.pk3:decorate/allies/reimu_ally.txt" line 923:
Tried to define class 'ReimuHakureiAmuletTrailA' more than twice in the same file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

marco.nadal.75 wrote:I skimmed the TouhouDoom thread as well as this one.
To get the complete, best possible Touhou experience in Doom, is this the correct load order?
[omitted]
That is not the correct load order - Touhou Doom is itself a standalone doom mapset; it should not be loaded with the gameplay mods, as there will be conflicts on literally everything; just load Touhou Doom by itself to play the actual mapset. The separate gameplay mods (monsters + weapons) are simply for if you want to run Touhou Doom on non-Touhou Doom mapsets because you enjoy the danmaku combat that much, and the ally pack for if you feel like obliterating a wad with very little effort involved.
marco.nadal.75

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

Thanks for that! I have gone through the warp gate and entered Gyoku-- Gyokusyo -- Zun's HappyPlayElfLand... sorry I only know Touhou from Tom & Jerry re-animations on YouTube... and playing the original Breakout game in an emulator. Anyway, I'm still just using the standard Doom arsenal with limited ammo, and Reimu is really letting me have it -- I'm guessing I'll get a magical wand later on...

I remember a Touhou mod that had a repurposed Hexen wand as the default weapon, it had some fairies but also the default monsters... I played it with BIGOPEN.WAD, the map that has all of the Doom1 Ep1 maps mashed into one big map. Turning on '-fast' setting certainly had me swimming in a sea of bullets.
Big open linear levels like that are surprisingly rare; any recommendations?
marco.nadal.75

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

marco.nadal.75 wrote:Big open linear levels like that are surprisingly rare; any recommendations?
BIGOPEN.WAD
empyrion_v39_bfg.pk3
Critzhater76

Post by Critzhater76 »

Hey guys. I just made a music randomizer full of Touhou Midis and included the ones from the PC98 era. I don't care if there are other midis that isn't touhou

Hope you don't mind leaving this here...
Readme is in the pk3 itself

Touhou Midi Randomizer (has 36 midis)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jaUYMS ... cM7cH/view
Unregret
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 9+1

Post by Unregret »

Wish this mod updates can bring more angled sprites to these cute touhou characters.
AliciaPendragon
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by AliciaPendragon »

Right time for some thoughts. First off getting this out of the way.

The weapons pack feels... underpowered. Like not very good. WIth the exception of the Hakkero Plasma Cannon and the Hakurei Assault Rifle, the rest of the guns feel... mid. Yes the different firing modes help, but I feel like its heavily constrained. Honestly it should've had the Power system from Touhou Doom itself, maybe with additional levels to REALLY get the slaughter ramping up. I understand why it'd be hard to do but still. Though to me the star of the show isnt the weaponset. Its the monster mod and ally mod

Honestly the monster pack is so damn good. Its fun running through a mapset with this monster set and playing with either Halo Doom Evolved(who would've thought charging Reimu with a Energy Sword would be so much fun), The False Angel(Ditto for timing guardian's royal guard perfectly to get close to a touhou character and stun them before unleashing Gemini in their face), or even Final Doomer among many other mods I have

Once I'm done getting some achievements for DRLAX, I MAY try running through a mapset with Touhou Doom monsters and DRLA to see how far I go. Or try something like War Rooster or one of the Hearts of Demons series mods.

As for the Allyset? Well... I have something to help me with Sunlust, Okupolk or any other slaughtermap now. Its always fun to see one of Gensokyo's finest thrash a horde of demons(or angels or nazis or zombies or whatever monster mod I'm running this time).

Overall, not bad.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”