Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (1.0.3)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ArcturusDeluxe

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (1.0.2)

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Gez wrote:Just to confirm: cd3201 => cd02; cd3202 => cd03; cd3203 => cd04; right?
Yeah, just add one. I changed the naming system to follow the actual track numbers on the CD32 disc (taking the data track into account), to make it easier for people who are ripping the music, and the soundtrack downloads on UnExoticA follow that system too. Also having the '32' in the filenames just makes them an awkward bunch of numbers.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:Anyone is allowed to make user maps if they want, but I don't know of any yet, would be very cool to see some! Personally I'm taking a break from the project for a while, need to cool off a bit after all the work of the last update, but I do want to make some new maps for this in future.
Take it easy, and thanks for all your work! :wink:
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Really digging the vaguely oldschool-Dr. Who-esque sci-fi not-quite-horror feel of all this.

I'm really struggling to play though because everything is so dark. (The yellow key room on map02 is basically just me dying over and over again until I can memorize exactly where the enemies are by sound and shoot in that general direction) Am I missing out on a lot of lighting stuff by moving the ipk3 into my doom folder and running my own GZDoom from there?

EDIT: Found the "advanced" options and noticed sector render mode had been set to dark. I think my issue is resolved.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Matt wrote:Really digging the vaguely oldschool-Dr. Who-esque sci-fi not-quite-horror feel of all this.

I'm really struggling to play though because everything is so dark. (The yellow key room on map02 is basically just me dying over and over again until I can memorize exactly where the enemies are by sound and shoot in that general direction) Am I missing out on a lot of lighting stuff by moving the ipk3 into my doom folder and running my own GZDoom from there?

EDIT: Found the "advanced" options and noticed sector render mode had been set to dark. I think my issue is resolved.
Ah, that's my mistake! I designed the game to use the 'Doom' render mode, but I put the wrong render mode in the default config. Sorry! To be fair the original had these very dark areas too, but because of different people's setups with GZDoom, its hard to know how dark is too dark I suppose. Make sure you have dynamic lights (with shadowmaps) turned on as well, it helps a lot!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I play your mod with Darkdoomz, so I am not bothered by the darkness. If anything, it adds to the atmosphere!
ArcturusDeluxe

Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (1.0.3)

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Hi! Another update for you all, some minor bugfixes, but mainly I got permission from Bjorn Lynne to include the CD32 music in the package, so no more fiddling around with music files and pk3s! Other changes:

- Gamma option in the new menu now works
- Set default sector light mode in DEFCVARs to Doom, and activated shadowmaps
- Ending map now has the correct music when using the CD32 soundtrack

You can switch between soundtracks on the fly by going to Options > Sound > Soundtrack. Sometimes my modern soundtrack is scripted to go silent, so don't necessarily worry if its not playing. Also the switcher should remember what the modern soundtrack is supposed to be doing even if you switch back and forth, and the CD32 music will just play throughout the level with no dynamic elements, as it did in the original game.

Download Project Osiris v1.0.3
aconike
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (1.0.3)

Post by aconike »

BUZZ MODE? What is it and where are find you?
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

aconike wrote:BUZZ MODE? What is it and where are find you?
Mr Bubz mode? Must be hiding in the options menu somewhere. Or maybe there's a console command for it? Who knows. It's a secret!
It's not anything major anyway, just a dumb easter egg I added because Mr Icarus' review said the floating eyeball enemies look like Mr Bubz (a weird looking dog from a viral internet video) - so it changes the graphics to look like the dog. One time I accidentally left it turned on while testing the game and it scared the shit out of me. Good times!
zevs_11

Post by zevs_11 »

My enemy is not displayed, only a message is displayed that in the screenshot.
https://imgur.com/a/YvHIiQj
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

zevs_11 wrote:My enemy is not displayed, only a message is displayed that in the screenshot.
You probably need to make sure you're using a hardware renderer and not the Doom Software renderer.
zevs_11

Post by zevs_11 »

wildweasel wrote:
zevs_11 wrote:My enemy is not displayed, only a message is displayed that in the screenshot.
You probably need to make sure you're using a hardware renderer and not the Doom Software renderer.
Yes it works.
ESTIERCOL
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ESTIERCOL »

wow this has to be the best TC I came across! never owned an Amiga but Alien Breed on DOS was one of my favorite games
love it! the atmosphere is amazing and theres nothing like a pump action double barrel :twisted:
Warden

Post by Warden »

The config defaults to freelook on, but can you complete the game and find all the secrets without freelook, classic Alien Breed style? Great TC btw, cheers for the effort you've put into this.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Warden wrote:The config defaults to freelook on, but can you complete the game and find all the secrets without freelook, classic Alien Breed style? Great TC btw, cheers for the effort you've put into this.
It is designed to use freelook, and I honestly haven't tested without freelook very extensively, but I see no reason it shouldn't be completable. The maps are largely the same as the original, there aren't really any crazy vertical bits added or secret high-up shootable switches or anything. Grenade Launcher can be a bit tricky to use though, as it doesn't really even attempt to autoaim, and if it did it would be weird anyway because of the trajectory, but hopefully that part is managable.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Dude, this is amazing. I'm a big DOS nut but I haven't delved into the Amiga pool yet so I've played Alien Breed 1 & 2 but not 3D. Having a faithful recreation in GZDoom is a huge benefit to retro games fans. Looking forward to checking it as soon as I finish the mricarus vid.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”