Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kazudra

Re: Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Post by Kazudra »

Ricochet sounds require more than putting sounds on puffs; Revenant Homing Missiles spew puffs. There's no other way around this than to long-code every attack to use a new sound-Puff.
(The Homing Missile can't be altered due to how the A_tracer functions)
Also Melee is lacking sound on impact.
Lost Souls are completely broken.
Blood Could use a scale of .75 and a Fadeout of roughly .02
A_BarrelDestroy on line 43 of WorldObjects will fix the respawn.
A few menu options are broken, recoil being one of them.

I'm not going to be overly harsh simply because it's more of a peak of what's to come rather than a release. So...

Boogers Lacking their Trail really bothers me.
Plasma looks amazing
Imp Ball... I can't put my finger on it but looks odd.
All Explosions and Smoke effects are a major step up.
I dunno how to feel about the Cacoball; looks great but Maybe it's nostalgia talking.
Many of the new animations, while incomplete, look fantastic.
VindSole

Post by VindSole »

Well hello, since last year I've doing some changes to SM, but since i'm dumb I've never wrote a list of what I changed so I don't remember everything.
Basically I rewrote the weapon animations (disable smooth bob) to look more natural, fixed a lot of bugs, added brightmaps to nearly all monsters and props (Lost soul look dope), fixed the rockets misaligned sprites, explosion and puff particles are now the correct size, Spectre's gibs and blood now have the fuzzy effect, reimplemented features from past versions, (Rotating keys/skulls, bugfree monster variants each with death variants), fixed and added GLDEF lights to anything that seems to emit light (Spider Mastermind death animation e.g.), D64 weapon projectiles now match D64, made a nice 64 styled armor bonus, fluids are smooth (inspired by D64 Retribution) and and the fullscreen mode mimics D64, Hellknight now uses Baron of Hell sprites (colors are translated in decorate), red and green torch sprites are now smooth, separated some weapon and flash sprites and I think that's it :D .

Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q07wqS ... sp=sharing

If you want to grab a thing or two to add to the main fork, I'll be very glad to help
Last edited by VindSole on Sun May 02, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Grumple

Post by Grumple »

Dieagamer101 wrote:hello, since no one responded to my response, I had decided to make a solution myself. I call this Civvie11 smooth doom since it was inspired by his video (he removed smooth enemies). This version of smooth doom adds the non-smooth enemies as an option, and fixes the smooth bob for the plasma rifle. I hope you enjoy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ywy6Ak ... sp=sharing
Really glad you're stepping up to the plate to make an experience for nerds like me who want the weapons only, my one issue is that the plasma rifle still seems to be borked.
https://ibb.co/R2zX5xp
If you know how, pls fix!
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

Grumple wrote:
Dieagamer101 wrote:hello, since no one responded to my response, I had decided to make a solution myself. I call this Civvie11 smooth doom since it was inspired by his video (he removed smooth enemies). This version of smooth doom adds the non-smooth enemies as an option, and fixes the smooth bob for the plasma rifle. I hope you enjoy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ywy6Ak ... sp=sharing
Really glad you're stepping up to the plate to make an experience for nerds like me who want the weapons only, my one issue is that the plasma rifle still seems to be borked.
https://ibb.co/R2zX5xp
If you know how, pls fix!
PLASA0 shares the same name as the pick-up sprite. It's the usual culprit; just eh switch some sprite names around and update the Decos and it would be fine. (Beats me why it was done like this)
Grumple

Post by Grumple »

I have been trying to follow these vague instructions for 2 days and I give up. I'm gonna wait and see if anyone else will step up to fix this but for now I have to come to terms with the fact that I'm completely code illiterate.
mason1s
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by mason1s »

I know this is a "bit" late, but I was wondering if I could rip these sprites and upload them to "The Spriters Resource"?
Grumple

Post by Grumple »

Grumple wrote:I have been trying to follow these vague instructions for 2 days and I give up. I'm gonna wait and see if anyone else will step up to fix this but for now I have to come to terms with the fact that I'm completely code illiterate.
I finally figured it out... but now I have a new issue the eyes in sigil no longer show up is there any known way to fix this too?
aSeriesOfNumbers

Post by aSeriesOfNumbers »

VindSole wrote:Well hello, since last year I've doing some changes to SM, but since i'm dumb I've never wrote a list of what I changed so I don't remember everything.
Basically I rewrote the weapon animations (disable smooth bob) to look more natural, fixed a lot of bugs, added brightmaps to nearly all monsters and props (Lost soul look dope), fixed the rockets misaligned sprites, explosion and puff particles are now the correct size, Spectre's gibs and blood now have the fuzzy effect, reimplemented features from past versions, (Rotating keys/skulls, bugfree monster variants each with death variants), fixed and added GLDEF lights to anything that seems to emit light (Spider Mastermind death animation e.g.), D64 weapon projectiles now match D64, made a nice 64 styled armor bonus, fluids are smooth (inspired by D64 Retribution) and and the fullscreen mode mimics D64, Hellknight now uses Baron of Hell sprites (colors are translated in decorate), red and green torch sprites are now smooth, separated some weapon and flash sprites and I think that's it :D .

Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q07wqS ... sp=sharing

If you want to grab a thing or two to add to the main fork, I'll be very glad to help
It seems to be broken on my end. Is this just a test build? Do you plan on working on this any further? I quite like all the restored features.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Zombieman has a chase of 3 when it should be 4.
Lostsoul is missing some GLdefs.
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

Rowsol wrote:Zombieman has a chase of 3 when it should be 4.
Lostsoul is missing some GLdefs.

Well I'll be danged! You are correct good sir. I just corrected my personal file of it. Good catch on the zombie man.
Pokemanic33

Post by Pokemanic33 »

VindSole wrote:..reimplemented features from past versions, (Rotating keys/skulls)...
Oh hey, I just noticed the other day the keys didn't spin. Those were some of my favorite animations, I wonder why they were removed?
DoomCATO

Post by DoomCATO »

Hey Gifty, I've designed a logo of SD for you if your ever working on the next update in the future or show a trailer. What do you think of it? :
Attachments
Smooth DOOM Logo.png
Last edited by DoomCATO on Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

That looks dope, thank you! :D
wanisea

Post by wanisea »

sA little trick in vanilla made the game fun. Thank you for making it.
comesect nocisum

Post by comesect nocisum »

How do I go about applying this to the gzdoom I have on my pc?, I'm just starting my mod journey....when I download the mod, do I just add it to the folder with everything in it? any help much appreciated.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”