[minimod][v2.0.1] Target Spy: Health Bar on Steroids

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Re: [minimod][v2.0.0] Target Spy: Health Bar on Steroids

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Hey, m8f! Thank you for the continued work on this! As usual, this is just one of those mods that I *never* leave off no matter what I play.

May I just request a minor feature - can we also an option for having the crosshair grow on pickup (as per the vanilla option)?

Thanks again!
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Thanks for the suggestion! Added it to issues.
PokeParty445
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by PokeParty445 »

I am very confused about how custom blacklisting works. How do I do it? I'm trying to blacklist an actor in Combined Arms called shieldblocker (Past Linked's shield with his main weapon), with it not blacklisted I can't see health bars of enemies with the main weapon equipped unless I start shooting, even when I have Target Spy set to not even show objects, which is the only way it shows up as a health bar. It still acts like the health bar is always there and won't show other enemy health bar until the shieldblocker health bar disappears. How do you exactly blacklist actors?

I've tried creating a new text file in the pk3 file named ts_blacklist and all using SLADE, putting the actor name in there, but it didn't do anything. Am I missing a step?
Alamo985

Post by Alamo985 »

This mod has become one of the inseparable part of my GZD load order, beside a few more mods of yours of course.
Thank you for your hard work!
m8f

Post by m8f »

PokeParty445 wrote:I am very confused about how custom blacklisting works. How do I do it? I'm trying to blacklist an actor in Combined Arms called shieldblocker (Past Linked's shield with his main weapon), with it not blacklisted I can't see health bars of enemies with the main weapon equipped unless I start shooting, even when I have Target Spy set to not even show objects, which is the only way it shows up as a health bar. It still acts like the health bar is always there and won't show other enemy health bar until the shieldblocker health bar disappears. How do you exactly blacklist actors?

I've tried creating a new text file in the pk3 file named ts_blacklist and all using SLADE, putting the actor name in there, but it didn't do anything. Am I missing a step?
Pushed some possible fixes to Target Spy dev build: https://github.com/mmaulwurff/target-sp ... master.zip
There were two possible issues: 1. blacklisted classes were case-sensitive, 2. code didn't account for Windows CRLF line endings.

There is still an issue with Combined Arms Past Linked Shield. It can be blacklisted or not, but in both cases it just stands in the way and blocks getting the real target. The solution needs to be much more elaborate, and I don't think it's worth it.
PokeParty445

Post by PokeParty445 »

m8f wrote:
PokeParty445 wrote:I am very confused about how custom blacklisting works. How do I do it? I'm trying to blacklist an actor in Combined Arms called shieldblocker (Past Linked's shield with his main weapon), with it not blacklisted I can't see health bars of enemies with the main weapon equipped unless I start shooting, even when I have Target Spy set to not even show objects, which is the only way it shows up as a health bar. It still acts like the health bar is always there and won't show other enemy health bar until the shieldblocker health bar disappears. How do you exactly blacklist actors?

Pushed some possible fixes to Target Spy dev build: https://github.com/mmaulwurff/target-sp ... master.zip
There were two possible issues: 1. blacklisted classes were case-sensitive, 2. code didn't account for Windows CRLF line endings.

There is still an issue with Combined Arms Past Linked Shield. It can be blacklisted or not, but in both cases it just stands in the way and blocks getting the real target. The solution needs to be much more elaborate, and I don't think it's worth it.
Ah, that's unfortunate. I guess it's not a super big deal but it is mildly annoying. For some reason though I remember the shield working just fine at some point. It didn't end up blocking anything but then suddenly started doing so.

Thanks for getting back to me, at least.
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

It seems like after updating to GZDoom 4.6.0, this mod has stopped working for me, after trying the release and the dev builds of the mod. Can you confirm if this is the case for you as well? Because as usual, it could also be some incompatibility here on my end.

EDIT: OR for some reason the idle filter was on when I could've sworn I turned it off. Sorry about that.
m8f

Re: [minimod][v2.0.1] Target Spy: Health Bar on Steroids

Post by m8f »

Target Spy updated to v2.0.1.

Changes since v2.0.0:

- blacklist file: now classes are case-insensitive;
- blacklist file: now accepts Windows-style newlines;
- fixed VM abort when something gets damaged or dies right after level starts.
ClessxAlghazanth

Post by ClessxAlghazanth »

m8f wrote:Target Spy updated to v2.0.1.

Changes since v2.0.0:

- blacklist file: now classes are case-insensitive;
- blacklist file: now accepts Windows-style newlines;
- fixed VM abort when something gets damaged or dies right after level starts.
Thanks for the release ; by far my go to health bar atm (I used to use hpbar which came with complex doom lca for long time)

I've noticed sometimes lost souls don't have their health bar (ones spawned by pain elementals) , is it a known issue ?
m8f

Post by m8f »

No, this issue is new. I cannot reproduce it. Two questions:
1. Are you playing with mods?
2. What your Target Filters are?
ClessxAlghazanth

m8f wrote:No, this issue is new. I cannot reproduce it. Two questions:
1. Are you playing with mods?
2. What your Target Filters are?
I only encountered the issue twice , but can not reproduce it atm . It only happened when I was playing with 2 monster mods combined (Shades of Doom & Champions)

Probably caused by monster packs , something went wrong with monster spawning maybe

My settings are ,
Spoiler:
m8f

Post by m8f »

Specific conditions of this bug will be highly appreciated. If encountered again, please get enemy data for lost souls and pain elemental that spawned them with info console command, and what Champions effects they have.
ClessxAlghazanth

m8f wrote:Specific conditions of this bug will be highly appreciated. If encountered again, please get enemy data for lost souls and pain elemental that spawned them with info console command, and what Champions effects they have.
Thanks for the kind response :P I'll keep my eyes open :shock:
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Any chance we can get a feature where when using the two-color system, (or giving it its own system/style) where the emptied part of the bar is one color and the filled part reflects the health of the target? (ie Imp at 40% Health would have the emptied part be grey by default, and the filled part would go from green at full life to yellow for 40%)
m8f

Post by m8f »

Probably not. This mod has enough options already.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”