Re: Combined_Arms v2.3: Reloaded edition! (last post here 4-18-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blackgrowl
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Combined_Arms v1.4: Red hot Blastmaster MK2 edition!

Post by Blackgrowl »

Hey, could you make it so the fire-based weaponry, which this includes pretty much most if not all of BlastMaster's weaponry, have a "Fire" effect to it?

Not sure if you understand what I mean, but for example, I use a monster mod that has custom death animations for fire and they look absolutely amazing. Thought it would look great if I shot out an overheat fire bomb into an enemy and watch him burn. Or even more badass, if the firedrake shotgun fired up an enemy when he dies.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Blackgrowl wrote:Hey, could you make it so the fire-based weaponry, which this includes pretty much most if not all of BlastMaster's weaponry, have a "Fire" effect to it?

Not sure if you understand what I mean, but for example, I use a monster mod that has custom death animations for fire and they look absolutely amazing. Thought it would look great if I shot out an overheat fire bomb into an enemy and watch him burn. Or even more badass, if the firedrake shotgun fired up an enemy when he dies.
I actually want to do some custom death animations for the Combined_Harms monster pack, though making something that'd work with all monster packs would be a pain.
Blackgrowl
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Blackgrowl »

Combine_Kegan wrote:I actually want to do some custom death animations for the Combined_Harms monster pack, though making something that'd work with all monster packs would be a pain.
Will it? I have no idea how to make Doom mods, but I would have guessed that making "Fire" death animations work for virtually every monster pack is as simple as changing the "Damage Type" to "Fire" instead of "Ballistic" or so.

Either way, I'm more interested in your own monster mod, I hope it's challenging and smart, but most importantly, fun!
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Blackgrowl wrote:
Combine_Kegan wrote:I actually want to do some custom death animations for the Combined_Harms monster pack, though making something that'd work with all monster packs would be a pain.
Will it? I have no idea how to make Doom mods, but I would have guessed that making "Fire" death animations work for virtually every monster pack is as simple as changing the "Damage Type" to "Fire" instead of "Ballistic" or so.

Either way, I'm more interested in your own monster mod, I hope it's challenging and smart, but most importantly, fun!
The kicker is you have to tell the monsters to specifically respond to that fire death with something like death.BlastMasterFire: and then go forward from there, not to mention sprites will be needed for each monster, and while I can provide what I need for Combined_Harms, I can't really do it for every monster ever, and doing a catchall generic death animation won't work for every monster either, seeing as you got weird shaped monsters like the cacodemon.

My monster mod already exists by the way, it should be on the itch.io page, though right now it's very unpolished.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

So I've been trying out Combined Harms a little bit, and I've been having an issue: whenever I use a Super Shotgun at close range against the mod's Hell Nobles, Cacodemons or Pain Elementals, they spit out so many blood particles that it can bring the game to a crawl. Now, the Captain Obvious solution to this is just "don't Super Shotgun those enemies at that kind of range"; but if you're not getting close, why use the Super Shotgun to begin with?

(Okay, I've actually been playing a lot with Trailblazer, seeing as that just got a new update with a handful of new guns a few days ago; but seeing as how the Fleshrend is basically a Super Shotgun by another name, this feedback still stands.)

I wouldn't believe it to be my PC. I'm running an FX-9590 CPU and an R9 Fury GPU, and running the Vulkan renderer. I have GZDoom 4.3.3, so I'm up-to-date on that as well I believe.

I will have to say that I really like the Combined Harms Caco death, though, where it flies off like a leaking balloon. Pretty damn funny, actually.

EDIT: Okay, after playing around a bit more, it seems the slowdown mostly happens with enemies that have unique blood colors, so basically just the Hell Nobles and Cacos. Ity's still something I think should be looked into, if possible.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

openroadracer wrote:So I've been trying out Combined Harms a little bit, and I've been having an issue: whenever I use a Super Shotgun at close range against the mod's Hell Nobles, Cacodemons or Pain Elementals, they spit out so many blood particles that it can bring the game to a crawl. Now, the Captain Obvious solution to this is just "don't Super Shotgun those enemies at that kind of range"; but if you're not getting close, why use the Super Shotgun to begin with?

(Okay, I've actually been playing a lot with Trailblazer, seeing as that just got a new update with a handful of new guns a few days ago; but seeing as how the Fleshrend is basically a Super Shotgun by another name, this feedback still stands.)

I wouldn't believe it to be my PC. I'm running an FX-9590 CPU and an R9 Fury GPU, and running the Vulkan renderer. I have GZDoom 4.3.3, so I'm up-to-date on that as well I believe.

I will have to say that I really like the Combined Harms Caco death, though, where it flies off like a leaking balloon. Pretty damn funny, actually.

EDIT: Okay, after playing around a bit more, it seems the slowdown mostly happens with enemies that have unique blood colors, so basically just the Hell Nobles and Cacos. Ity's still something I think should be looked into, if possible.
This is on me, my bad. Don't worry though, I'm gonna redo the blood effects soon for Combined_Harms, as right now it spawns WAY too many blood actors on hit, and it gets really bad when you use ripper weapons or stuff that fires a bunch of projectiles at once.
Vphurple Izumi
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Vphurple Izumi »

I tryed playing this coop with ma bro and what happned was one of use got Combined_Arms weapons and the other one got Blastmaster MK2 weapons we played on gzdoom with port forwating and stuff , so if theres anyway to get the same weaponset for both players that would be nice :D
Last edited by Vphurple Izumi on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Mod_till_crash wrote:I tryed playing this coop with ma bro and what happned was one of use got Combined_Arms weapons and the other one got Blastmaster MK2 weapons we played on gzdoom with port forwating and stuff , so if theres anyway to get the same weaponset for both players that would be nice :D
Sounds like you'd need to add what class you want to play as in your extra command line arguments, like +playerclass and then the class name. Though I think you'll need tags on the classes for that. I'll be sure to add that for this coming update.
Vphurple Izumi

Post by Vphurple Izumi »

Combine_Kegan wrote:
Mod_till_crash wrote:I tryed playing this coop with ma bro and what happned was one of use got Combined_Arms weapons and the other one got Blastmaster MK2 weapons we played on gzdoom with port forwating and stuff , so if theres anyway to get the same weaponset for both players that would be nice :D
Sounds like you'd need to add what class you want to play as in your extra command line arguments, like +playerclass and then the class name. Though I think you'll need tags on the classes for that. I'll be sure to add that for this coming update.
Ah dam
Nice, thought that you will be adding class tags in, me and my friends have tested it a little bit more and it seems random for now and sometimes we both get the same weapons sets as well, still a lot of fun to play
for now we have found a way to "force it" that is just restarting a bazillion times XD
Last edited by Vphurple Izumi on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vphurple Izumi

Post by Vphurple Izumi »

Oh btw, I know this is gonna sound stupid but can we get the old Hud back too? as like an extra file or as an alternative Hud option?
if not its completely fine kind of nostalgic for the old Hud. the new ones way better but still.
Vphurple Izumi

Post by Vphurple Izumi »

Mod_till_crash wrote:Oh btw, I know this is gonna sound stupid but can we get the old Hud back too? as like an extra file or as an alternative Hud option?
if not its completely fine kind of nostalgic for the old Hud. the new ones way better but still.
While I am asking for stuff like a baby, you know what would be nice to have,
The "Gore" [the blood sprites stuff] as a sperate file that we can use with other mods.
I don't really like most over the top gore mods but the ones in Combined harms is just the kind of of stuff that I like.
Would be nice to have it a separate .wad or a .pk3 to add on to any other mod. :D
Last edited by Vphurple Izumi on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Mod_till_crash wrote:Oh btw, I know this is gonna sound stupid but can we get the old Hud back too? as like an extra file or as an alternative Hud option?
Sorry, the old HUD is long gone and it's not worth the effort to make the extra assets for it like the item trackers for Past Linked and the various cooldown meters for the other classes.
Mod_till_crash wrote:
The "Gore" [the blood sprites stuff] as a sperate file that we can use with other mods.
I don't really like most over the top gore mods but the ones in Combined harms is just the kind of of stuff that I like.
Would be nice to have it a separate .wad or a .pk3 to add on to any other mod. : D
I'm actually going to be removing the current blood system in the monster pack as it's incredibly laggy and messy. I've seen complete freezes with some people when they get close to enemies and blast them with big sprays of projectiles, or god forbid a ripper attack. I'm not one for making standalone gore mods either, sorry.
Vphurple Izumi

Post by Vphurple Izumi »

Combine_Kegan wrote:
Sorry, the old HUD is long gone and it's not worth the effort to make the extra assets for it like the item trackers for Past Linked and the various cooldown meters for the other classes.
Mod_till_crash wrote:
Would be nice to have it a separate .wad or a .pk3 to add on to any other mod. : D
I'm actually going to be removing the current blood system in the monster pack as it's incredibly laggy and messy. I've seen complete freezes with some people when they get close to enemies and blast them with big sprays of projectiles, or god forbid a ripper attack. I'm not one for making standalone gore mods either, sorry.
Ah I guess its fine as I sayed the new Hud is way better, but nostalgia do be a harsh mistress.
And yes I have straight up just crashed using the shotguns secondary fire on on Cacodemons, up close a lot of times, but chucked it up to me just having a bad pc but I guess not, but I have to admit it does look dam cool for a far when I am not on 2 fps XD

And you don't have to be sorry anything I get ya, it can be a lot of work and effort to make this stuff, I don't want you to burn yourself out.
I am just happy we get to have people like you who can make amazing stuff like this.
Thought I am gonna be selfish and ask can you make the "gore" a togglable option instead of just removing it completely in the future update? that is its not too much trouble on your end.
Combine_Kegan

Re: Combined_Arms v2.0: Reloaded edition! (update 4-28-21)

Post by Combine_Kegan »

2.0 is live people! Go grab the update and have fun!
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Combined_Arms v2.0: Reloaded edition! (update 4-28-21)

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Damnit! You talented modders just cannot help, do you? You folks keep adding to my ever-increasing backlog of high-quality mods that I absolutely must play yet never seem to have enough time to dedicate to them all! I am still not done with GMOTA! When is this creative spree of yours ever going to end?!? :biggrin: :mrgreen:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”