ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Guest »

Ever thought about Russian Overkill 2? Or DoomRL meets Russian Overkill?

Well there's that, nowadays rather obscure, roquelike Nuclear Throne. Tons of weaponry, from simple but effective sledgehammer or a shovel, through different shotguns or Sluggers which fire a massive short-range bullet bigger than itself, or anything it's shooting at for that matter, to nukes and other fuck-everything weapons. Especially when including Ultra Mod which for this game is basically Russian Overkill, or should I say even more than that because I'm not sure if in RO there are full-auto triple nukes, ION cannons and laser weapons that lag the game even though it's a 2d pixelated roquelike, and that's
just a tip of an iceberg. Yeahh the point is the weaponry is bigger than any DOOM mod I was able to find.

I know many people already think Russian Overkill is too much (because it is) but I just thought it's a fun idea. I struggle to think what could be more "overkill" than this, it truly would be an ultimate overkill.

Also, in a way I find the style of both games kind of similar, the graphics and style of Nuclear Throne is very simple and could be easily recreated in DOOM, and probably even enhanced, there are also a lot of cool, well hidden and rewarding secrets (completely separate areas/levels kind of secrets, like golden room filled with weapons or Ninja Turtle hideout...) bosses, many playable characters etc. Even that without the weaponry I think would be fantastic for DOOM, in my opinion it fits very well. The themes, style and overall dodging bullet hell and "rip and tear" style through hordes of enemies, maybe it would reguire some time to play through Nuclear Throne to get that feeling, but for me, it really seems like it would be a leathal chemical reaction, in all the best ways.

Also I should mention, I've never done any modding of any kind, me play game shoot enemies good boom ohohoh
Valken

Post by Valken »

So I was watching some old but way classic horror movies and thought about which ones that do not have games or wish I could play in a survival coop with friends since so many are working from home.

Idea - Slashers Horror Coop.

You and a group of friends must survive a horror movie / game scenario such as killing the boss or escaping the level.

Monsters can be locked to a scenario or an "arrange or mix" mode used to spawn in different monsters:

Phantasm - Tall Man Jebediah Morningside - Freaking tall ~ 7 foot, melee powers, crush you with his bare hands, manhandles to kill, creates army of Dwarves from corpse like Archville. Can change appearance to sneak up on players, such as other players or random civilians.
Dwarves - made from dead corpse by Tall Man. Has yellow blood. Can use sprite from Blood cultists but scaled to ~ 3 foot or 1 meter tall per the movie. Melee attacks, fast runners, strong, can pickup and use any weapon.
Shiny balls of death - flying ball that has blades on front and drills into victims to kill them by draining their blood. Prefers head attachments. Use a lost soul that floats up to your face and drains blood away....

Weapons - any weapons mod really... Go through all 5 movies to see. Need a quad shotgun like what Reggie used.

Friday the 13th - Jason Vorhees from any of his movies... Strong, melee combatant. Dies and come backs.

Texas Chainsaw - the whole damn cannibal family, not just Chainsaw guy.

Nightmare on Elm Street - Freddy Kruger - you know this guy. Can transform into various shapes, pops in out of dreams or distress. Total slasher, sets people on fire.

Sleepaway Camp - Camp Counselor Angela - serial killer. Would be a great companion to Jason Vorhees actually.
Jeepers Creepers - The Gargoyle. Can use modified Imp sprites but need to add wings, a hat and jacket. Melee powers. Kills and eats victims to regrow limbs. Can literally be chopped up but watch out as parts can still be alive.

We can add to it over time as expansions. New slashers and killers.

I think whodunit is kinda similar but not exactly a team survival game with a badass enemy.
Last edited by Valken on Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valken

Post by Valken »

Ursula Grandwater wrote:Ever thought about Russian Overkill 2? Or DoomRL meets Russian Overkill?

Well there's that, nowadays rather obscure, roquelike Nuclear Throne. Tons of weaponry, from simple but effective sledgehammer or a shovel, through different shotguns or Sluggers which fire a massive short-range bullet bigger than itself, or anything it's shooting at for that matter, to nukes and other fuck-everything weapons. Especially when including Ultra Mod which for this game is basically Russian Overkill, or should I say even more than that because I'm not sure if in RO there are full-auto triple nukes, ION cannons and laser weapons that lag the game even though it's a 2d pixelated roquelike, and that's
just a tip of an iceberg. Yeahh the point is the weaponry is bigger than any DOOM mod I was able to find.

I know many people already think Russian Overkill is too much (because it is) but I just thought it's a fun idea. I struggle to think what could be more "overkill" than this, it truly would be an ultimate overkill.

Also, in a way I find the style of both games kind of similar, the graphics and style of Nuclear Throne is very simple and could be easily recreated in DOOM, and probably even enhanced, there are also a lot of cool, well hidden and rewarding secrets (completely separate areas/levels kind of secrets, like golden room filled with weapons or Ninja Turtle hideout...) bosses, many playable characters etc. Even that without the weaponry I think would be fantastic for DOOM, in my opinion it fits very well. The themes, style and overall dodging bullet hell and "rip and tear" style through hordes of enemies, maybe it would reguire some time to play through Nuclear Throne to get that feeling, but for me, it really seems like it would be a leathal chemical reaction, in all the best ways.

Also I should mention, I've never done any modding of any kind, me play game shoot enemies good boom ohohoh
Good ideas but you should play ROK with Project Brutality! It is Amazing.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

A universal doom mod that gives you the gadgets from batman Arkham Knight. I.e explosive gell that can break map walls similar to the wallbuster in Swwm gz
Craftsdwarf
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craftsdwarf »

An immersive-sim style map-set with compatibility for HD.

Post by Guest »

Have we reached the full power, the full potential yet? Does Doomguy feel satisfaction when looking at his beloveth super shotgun still? Maybe it is all that is left... But deep in his dreams, he sees what no man could ever see, from the gods themselves, the holy double-quad shotgun, glowing with the might of heavens, the holy music would play loudly everytime he'd hold the weapon of his dreams.
No man would even dare to ever fire this mobile artillery, but Doomguy, he knew, he knew that this kind gift was offered unto him to annihilate every filthy demon in his path with the might of a thousand suns.
When he pulls the trigger, the barrels would rotate and the whole structure of the gun shift and alter into a giant cannon-like beast of a weapon ready to fire all of its barrels, and then the whole gun would burst with the white light of heavens, turning everything white, the music kept getting louder and louder, as if the power of heaven itself was powering this godly gun. And right at this moment, when Doomguy thought, this is it, he ascended to heavens, the white glow would slowly fade away, as he was standing in the same place where he fired the gun, but his enemies would cease to exist. No sight of them, just some gibs and splatters. Everything in the room has been slaughtered, no demon could withstand such power, and at this moment he realized, it is not a dream...

Every time he fired this weapon, he felt peace that he never felt before, a peace fired by anger and eternal hate towards evil hordes of hell. And with his now godly arsenal, he would slay all of it.
Ezper
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ezper »

Itd be really cool if all the deathmatch maps on Brutal Deathmatch (from Brutal DOOM) would be playable on vanilla as a mappack in one wad! (Or be played with other gameplay mods instead!) Also, I cannot make this myself since 1. I don't have a computer, I play DOOM on android
via Delta Touch, it's very good ngl, but I hope I will get a pc soon, and play DOOM faster and make my own wads
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

You know what we could use? A universal burn death mini-mod. It makes enemies, upon being killed with fire weapons, do their normal death animations but glow yellowish-orange for a few seconds, and then turn black.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Are there any good Halo mods out there? I'd love to see a Halo mod that's the same quality as the Call of Duty Doom mod or even Brutal Doom/Project Brutality.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Artman2004 wrote:You know what we could use? A universal burn death mini-mod. It makes enemies, upon being killed with fire weapons, do their normal death animations but glow yellowish-orange for a few seconds, and then turn black.
I was thinking about something similar the other day... the colour change would need some way of doing translations on the fly, which I don't think is possible. (I would love to be proven wrong on that point)
Bezhael

Post by Bezhael »

I have been thinking after looking at a maze simulation program I use, why not create some of the Survivor mazes in ZDoom?

They are perfect for puzzle maps and can be used for switch and key hunts. Some things might have to be tweaked for single player but it could also make for a interesting multiplayer wad too. I would start on it myself but I am still quite new to mapping and would have to learn much more to do this.

Someone already did the Crystal Maze in GZdoom and considering the amount of work that took to get working, I figure this shouldn't be any more difficult then that. Hell, I think I might even be easier then that one.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

would love to see a mod that made secret weapons/backpacks persist to the next level but would otherwise pistol start. If there was a weapon, backpack, or a usable inventory item that is only found inside a secret and nowhere else in the level it would be kept in the next level instead of losing it like you normally do with a pistol start. The rest of the player's inventory would get reset though.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

zrrion the insect wrote:would love to see a mod that made secret weapons/backpacks persist to the next level but would otherwise pistol start. If there was a weapon, backpack, or a usable inventory item that is only found inside a secret and nowhere else in the level it would be kept in the next level instead of losing it like you normally do with a pistol start. The rest of the player's inventory would get reset though.
I can imagine one very rough way of implementing this:

At level start, check every inventory actor in existence.
If it has an owner and does not have a +SEESDAGGERS flag (or whatever), destroy it.
If it has no owner, but its current sector is marked secret, set it to +SEESDAGGERS.
Then make sure every player has a pistol and 50 bullets.

This won't work for some cases where you've got like multiple items on the map, not all of them are in secret sectors and the player can easily accidentally pick up the non-secret one first. It will also fail to catch anything that's clearly meant to be logically contingent on a secret but itself is not in an appropriately tagged sector.

Anyway, I'm just gonna leave this here.
300Greytiders

Post by 300Greytiders »

I can imagine a mapset where the goal is to first pick up a food item then get to the exit toilet before the timer runs out. As you get farther in the mappack, the opening scenarios and escape sequences get increasingly ridiculous, eventually to the point where it's utter hilarity via ridiculousness, take for example, Level 7 involving an opening scenario that takes place in a VR pizzeria in 3058 AD where toilets have been banned, picking up the pizza starts the escape sequence where you have to time travel to 1930's Berlin and fight your way through an army of Nazis just to relieve yourself yourself at the restroom, reaching the exit triggers a cutscene where the VR marine has forgot to use the restroom outside of VR and accidently went in his pants, ending the level. Any questions?

Return to “General”