Accessories to Murder (ww-doomnukem): on Github

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Accessories to Murder (ww-doomnukem): on Github

Post by wildweasel »

64palm wrote:1 question
is a weapon include monster theme ???
If you're asking, "Does this mod include monsters?" The answer is yes, it does.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Important Update:

So, I've been playing this mod again lately, accompanied by various monster mods (including the excellent Doosk Standalone Monsters pack and Yholl's also excellent Rampancy), and got to thinking, the way I've had the ammo pickups split between weapons (where they didn't used to be split in vanilla) made it so you got a lot of "dud" ammo pickups that had no weapons to go to them. With the help of Major Cooke, this is now a thing of the past.

Now, Revolver ammo and BFG cells will not spawn in maps unless there is either a player in game carrying a Revolver or a BFG, or such a weapon exists in the current level. Additionally, there is a small chance for a pistol clip to randomly be either a Revolver or a second Pistol; if a Revolver already exists, the chance to drop a Revolver is lower.

Anyway I think I cleared up all the confusion about what things are considered pickups and what thing shouldn't be dropped, so those changes - again thanks to Major Cooke - are now live on the Github repo. https://github.com/wildweasel486/ww-doomnukem
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Glad to help! :mrgreen:

If there's any bugs to that stuff, let me know and I'll see to fixing it.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Powerful weapon ammo would not spawn unless the player has weapons that use such ammo... That's actually a good solution! Never thought of this until now, actually. Thanks for the hot update with the help of Cooke.
Sascha_Fool
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Sascha_Fool »

Glad to see this getting some attention! I suppose now that this is in (at least semi) active development again, I'd like to share a few thoughts I've had on balance/QoL I've had over the years. For one, I feel like the AR is kind of anemic, especially for the amount of ammo it ends up with, and the lower mag pools for the revolver and Marstons tend to fail me against larger mobs of hitscanners where the vanilla chaingun would do in a pinch. Another thing with the AR is that the barrel smoke has a habit of obscuring my vision when firing. Also, it seems like regular pinkies no longer spawn bloodpuffs, which is particularly noticeable when using an addon gore mod. Beyond that, this is still one of my favourite gameplay mods, thanks for giving it some touch ups!
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Sascha_Fool wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:53 pm Glad to see this getting some attention! I suppose now that this is in (at least semi) active development again, I'd like to share a few thoughts I've had on balance/QoL I've had over the years. For one, I feel like the AR is kind of anemic, especially for the amount of ammo it ends up with,
I've just pushed an update that overhauls the AR's behavior entirely, as well as bumping its damage values up a bit. Primary fire behaves as it did, but with damage values raised from 4 to 6 per shot (for real this time!), and its recoil now also jostles the weapon side-to-side. While zoomed in, the initial pull of the trigger now fires a super fast 3-round hyperburst that deals 8(1d3) damage per bullet, and if the trigger is held past then, it continues firing full-auto at a slower rate for 6(1d3) damage per bullet.
and the lower mag pools for the revolver and Marstons tend to fail me against larger mobs of hitscanners where the vanilla chaingun would do in a pinch.
I'm not entirely sure what I should do to address this; raising the mag sizes is more or less out of the question, though, since the present reload system means that will also increase the ammo drop amounts.
Another thing with the AR is that the barrel smoke has a habit of obscuring my vision when firing.
Perhaps I ought to look into that later.
Also, it seems like regular pinkies no longer spawn bloodpuffs, which is particularly noticeable when using an addon gore mod. Beyond that, this is still one of my favourite gameplay mods, thanks for giving it some touch ups!
I'll look into the pinkies issue shortly. [edit] Pinky blood is now fixed. Forgot to comment out one line while I was dummying out Droplets.

Thank you for the feedback, and I'm glad you're enjoying yourself this many years later.
Sascha_Fool
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Sascha_Fool »

That AR buff definitely helps! Especially with the zoom-burst, it's way easier to manage crowds of zombies~

Also, I should've probably done some proper testing earlier, found that the hell knight, baron and caco also forgot to bring blood to the party (the ranch dip is accounted for now at least ;p)
Nems
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

I tried the zoom burst with the AR and I really like it. The only thing that feels off to me about it is that if you continue to hold down the fire button after the burst it just fires off one shots. It feels like it should fire nothing but bursts when aiming down the sights but that's probably just me. :P
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

This is intentional, both for sake of keeping the recoil under control and for giving you a reason to still sometimes use the weapon without aiming.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I guess I've been going wild with the "easily correctable quality of life" changes to the mod lately, as over the last night, I did these things:
  • Added +FORCEXYBILLBOARD on as many smoke effects as I remembered existed.
  • Added player footsteps - and they check if you're on the ground. They're cheap and lazy but they check if you're on the ground.
  • The sledgehammer now has a (small) radius damage effect if you hit floors or walls with it, which should in theory make it easier to hit small melee monsters with it, like xim's doom 3 trites, or rampancy's spider drones. This radius damage has a wider effect under berserk. I have not tested the damage values of this yet.
  • I forgot to say this when I did it but the remaining "squirt" effects from Droplets have been commented out, so big monsters should now actually bleed normal blood again.
  • I also added missing decals to the Hazard Troops' plasma, and made them explode into barrel debris so their deaths don't just make them vanish.
Changes have been pushed to the usual github link.
innerethos

Post by innerethos »

Holy cow! This mod is hiding in plain sight!

Best weapon mod out there, in general, by a wide margin. You're right: this IS the way to make guns feel good.

Never playing DOOM again without it. Latest GitHub build works with GZDoom 4.10.0 flawlessly.
tuintje

Post by tuintje »

hey i've been playing your mod again as well, it's still holds up incredibly :). i remember however coming out i didn't like the monsters. But now i just removed them and replaced them by the voxel enemies now.
The gunplay is still awesome and everything just feels neat and tight.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”