Heretic episode: Sold Soul RC2 Released

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lagi

Re: [WIP]Heretic episode: Sold Soul E1M7 update (88% done)

Post by Lagi »

You are in position of someone who know the map, all the monster placements, secrets, item... also you are skilled in Heretic gameplay. Other players are performing worse.
New Monster should do less damage so the player could live longer when he eat the projectile. And this was my main complain.
I didnt find lightbringer.

Im interested how your gameplay look like (without saves ;) ).
------
new level is beautiful. Golem fight is great.

=============
I try naked SS, level7.
My movement speed is higher so its much easier to outrun the projectiles, or being cornered. but still im like at 60hp i eat single salvo (2 fireballs?) from serpent = quick load. Whole this HP stop making sens, because if im not on 100, then it means next fight is over with 1shot. Because that Im trying to quicksave always on perfect 100 hp. And its shooting and shooting to kill single dude, very in spirit of Heretic :D.

... or maybe i suck in Heretic, and this is episode for hardcores.

there is lots of healing items in map 7, which is nice.
Fryuko

Re: [WIP]Heretic episode: Sold Soul beta Released

Post by Fryuko »

The wad just reached the beta phase, meaning it is mostly done.
Now all the 9 maps are playable. I also added difficulty settings, though they might need some tweaking.
Menu and other similar graphics were also added along with a few missing music tracks.
Updated the post and the info file.
Also changed the cultist's sounds as Lagi recommended. Sadly I still haven't figured out how to add ice death to them.

I'll try to fix potential bugs and problems for now. The "proof of playability" is also in the works 😁
Lagi

Re: [WIP]Heretic episode: Sold Soul beta Released

Post by Lagi »

great level! instant classic.

i was killed by better colored Korax version. This fight was quite fair, i eat some bullets and was still alive, great.

I play on medium and it was easier than usual, so i think difficulty is scale better.
Lagi

Re: Heretic episode: Sold Soul RC1 Released

Post by Lagi »

I want only to say that this stuff is updated today to RC1 !!!

and fryuko was too shy to spam post him self :D
Dewzanity
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Re: Heretic episode: Sold Soul RC1.2 Released

Post by Dewzanity »

Hey there. I'm almost finished with this map pack, so I'll give out my opinion on it so far. I think the designing on all of the levels is 11/10, extremely phenomenal, better than I ever could do, so you did an amazing job on that. The music also improves the aesthetics even more. Makes my maps seem like trash in comparison.

E1M5 was my favorite level out of all of them so far, but it may just be from the epic music, and that fact that it looks cool to me. I didn't like that one crusher puzzle in that level though, classic moment of "dies to crusher and nothing else".

E1M9 was definitely my least favorite level. The design is fantastic, and far better what I could do, but the gameplay on some areas were annoying. The area where you get the slot 7 weapon has I think 5 chaos serpents that spawn around you in that cramped room, and there's also tons of stuff to get stuck on too. I got killed immediately, and I believe the only way to get past that fight is either to use a ring of invincibility or to open the door, grab the weapon, and run out, otherwise you may get seriously wounded.

What I also disagreed with was the fact that you have to do platforming while having high stakes of instant death below you, which is not fun. There's also tons of gargoyles and wizards in that area, and because heretic monsters are lighter than feathers, the enemies go flying all the way to the sky border when you shoot them. Some "block monsters" linedefs would be an easy solution to prevent obnoxious encounters. Besides that, the levels are very fun and engaging. I find it a bit odd that you say gameplay should be 20-30 minutes a level, unless I'm the only person in the world who plays super slowly. Usually takes 40-70 minutes for these levels for me. Keep up the great work, I love seeing projects that revolve around different IWAD's, and this one in particular has some incredible talent behind it.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

the frost village when you get the yellow key - i literally play 3 evenings. First i take me time to realise i cannot kill all the monsters, then i dont know where to go, then it take me 2 hours to make that run (and i have the ring).

so you are not soo noob as you think you are :D

I agree the new monster deal too much damage. And for the crusher - funny part is wyvern is able to survive it.
Dewzanity
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Dewzanity »

I do also think the death wyvern is a bit too strong, and that the ice village fight is a little overboard. I think the death wyvern should wait a little longer to fire it's projectile during its Missile state (1 frame, really?), and I think the projectile should be slowed to 15 units per frame rather than 20, and have explosion damage be changed to 50 rather than 80.

As for the ice village fight, what I would do is remove the death wyverns, and instead have bars raise up to block the lift for about a minute. It's bad enough you have to worry about the ground enemies, but then you have to look out for the sky too. It's already intense without the wyverns anyway.
Fryuko

Post by Fryuko »

Dewzanity wrote:Hey there. I'm almost finished with this map pack, so I'll give out my opinion on it so far. I think the designing on all of the levels is 11/10, extremely phenomenal, better than I ever could do, so you did an amazing job on that. The music also improves the aesthetics even more. Makes my maps seem like trash in comparison.

E1M5 was my favorite level out of all of them so far, but it may just be from the epic music, and that fact that it looks cool to me. I didn't like that one crusher puzzle in that level though, classic moment of "dies to crusher and nothing else".

E1M9 was definitely my least favorite level. The design is fantastic, and far better what I could do, but the gameplay on some areas were annoying. The area where you get the slot 7 weapon has I think 5 chaos serpents that spawn around you in that cramped room, and there's also tons of stuff to get stuck on too. I got killed immediately, and I believe the only way to get past that fight is either to use a ring of invincibility or to open the door, grab the weapon, and run out, otherwise you may get seriously wounded.

What I also disagreed with was the fact that you have to do platforming while having high stakes of instant death below you, which is not fun. There's also tons of gargoyles and wizards in that area, and because heretic monsters are lighter than feathers, the enemies go flying all the way to the sky border when you shoot them. Some "block monsters" linedefs would be an easy solution to prevent obnoxious encounters. Besides that, the levels are very fun and engaging. I find it a bit odd that you say gameplay should be 20-30 minutes a level, unless I'm the only person in the world who plays super slowly. Usually takes 40-70 minutes for these levels for me. Keep up the great work, I love seeing projects that revolve around different IWAD's, and this one in particular has some incredible talent behind it.
Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it.
I can only hope that the remaining levels won't change your opinion too much.

I'm surprised of the fact that E1M5 is your favourit. Always tought that level is more about environmental storytelling. And it's one of the shortest levels. But I agree, the music is cool 😁

E1M9 is definitely on the experimental side of things. I tried a few things I wouldn't normally do on regular levels.
The platforming section is wanted to be a tribute for the most memorable level of mine. It is just this cruel in the original. Also there is a secret chaos device near the beginning area. It can save you from either the backwards platforming or the 5 serpents. It is up to the player which one is worse.

E1M6 is most likely the hardest level in the set. Personally I really like the wyverns during that village fight and once they are dead the fight is pretty much over but that's just my opinion.

It's a good idea to grab the lightbringer (Green key room) and the secret ring of invincibility that I spoiled in this thread earlier before the fight. After that you can easily get rid of the wyverns. Although the nerfs you suggested seem reasonable. I'll try to play around with it and see what I can do without making it just a big gargoyle.

Also the 20-30 minutes stuff is my time so I should clean that up.

Thank you and I'm glad you enjoyed most of the wad.
Fryuko

Re: Heretic episode: Sold Soul RC1.3 Released

Post by Fryuko »

I just added an update with the nerfed wyvern. Now it has a slower attack and reduced blast damage as Dewzanity recommended. Other than that I also reduced the blast radius. It should be much easier to deal with now but still remains strong.
Lagi

Re: Heretic episode: Sold Soul RC1.4 Released

Post by Lagi »

beneath the marble citadel map (cool name)

Im stuck after i take 2nd key

I kill everything around, pull the lever down behind my back. I dont know what to do now. I could climb on top of this piramids, but its not allowed in SS. i releveal the secret with armor.
Spoiler:
EDIT:
ok this bars lower when you kill all the liches (just replay with unmodded heretic)
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

just beat the boss. nice last 2 levels, oh there is also the secret one. mhh,,, i think i will just select it from ZDL panel :P
Fryuko

Post by Fryuko »

Lagi wrote:just beat the boss. nice last 2 levels, oh there is also the secret one. mhh,,, i think i will just select it from ZDL panel :P
Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, there is a secret level. The exit for it is hidden on the
Spoiler:
. But getting to it is somewhat cryptic, and it's just easier to load it up either from the console or a launcher.

Return to “Levels”