Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated February 3, 2024]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated March 5, 2021]

Post by m8f »

There is a niche purpose for universal key display: a mapset or a game has custom keys and a HUD that displays them, but player wants to play with a different HUD instead, which can't display those custom keys.
Adamast0r
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Adamast0r »

If you ever get around to it, color me interested.
dmslr

Post by dmslr »

I'm interested too.
Tekish

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated March 25, 2021]

Post by Tekish »

I've created a new add-on (PlayerInfo) to address this, rather than creating a HUD. It retains all of the dynamic features as the other add-ons. Per m8f's suggestion, it also includes an independent key display which should dynamically show custom keys from mods and various games. Its positioning and sizing options are a bit different (and separate) since its rendered in ZScript.
Adamast0r

Post by Adamast0r »

Tekish wrote:I've created a new add-on (PlayerInfo) to address this, rather than creating a HUD. It retains all of the dynamic features as the other add-ons. Per m8f's suggestion, it also includes an independent key display which should dynamically show custom keys from mods and various games. Its positioning and sizing options are a bit different (and separate) since its rendered in ZScript.
This is awesome. I set the screen size to twelve and use the ammo, player and level info as a whole HUD. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Adamast0r

Post by Adamast0r »

Additionally, and not wanting to push my luck but, if you ever feel like doing a power-ups info of sorts, probably only the timed ones though (excluding the berserk, of course) that would just be the cherry on top.
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Awesome, thanks!

Suggestion: use BaseStatusBar.GetInventoryIcon instead of getkey.althudicon and getkey.icon, like this (with icon priority adjusted to your taste):
Spoiler:
Reason: The Adventures of Square keys. Only four of them have icons, others can be displayed only as spawn sprites.
dmslr

Post by dmslr »

Adamast0r wrote:Additionally, and not wanting to push my luck but, if you ever feel like doing a power-ups info of sorts, probably only the timed ones though (excluding the berserk, of course) that would just be the cherry on top.
Please, read the OP carefully.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

m8f wrote:Suggestion: use BaseStatusBar.GetInventoryIcon instead of getkey.althudicon and getkey.icon. Reason: The Adventures of Square keys. Only four of them have icons, others can be displayed only as spawn sprites.
Thanks, I probably should have tested this beforehand. Since the sprites and icons tend to look different, I've added this as an option.
Adamast0r wrote:Additionally, and not wanting to push my luck but, if you ever feel like doing a power-ups info of sorts, probably only the timed ones though (excluding the berserk, of course) that would just be the cherry on top.
As dmslr hinted, this stuff already exists in LevelInfo. Look for the "Show Active Powerups" option.
Adamast0r

Post by Adamast0r »

Tekish wrote:
m8f wrote:Suggestion: use BaseStatusBar.GetInventoryIcon instead of getkey.althudicon and getkey.icon. Reason: The Adventures of Square keys. Only four of them have icons, others can be displayed only as spawn sprites.
Thanks, I probably should have tested this beforehand. Since the sprites and icons tend to look different, I've added this as an option.
As dmslr hinted, this stuff already exists in LevelInfo. Look for the "Show Active Powerups" option.
You're right. Sorry about that. The HUD is great as is.
Ezper
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated March 26, 2021]

Post by Ezper »

This is great, however, a problem I encountered is that none of these are compatible with Zandronum :((
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

Zandronum doesn't currently support ZScript. Until it does, these add-ons will unfortunately not be compatible.
ShockwaveS08
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Managed to reduce the filesize of the Hitmarkers portion of your addon by converting all of its sounds to .OGG format. Attached is a copy of the converted sounds, for use if you feel the need.
Attachments
hitmarkersounds.zip
(250.25 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
ESTIERCOL
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ESTIERCOL »

Question: how can I change the font used in these? I'd like to use Doom's default for messages.
Tekish

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated July 2, 2021]

Post by Tekish »

You'd need to convert an existing font into one that works with the alignment algorithm that LevelInfo/AmmoInfo/PlayerInfo use. It's actually kind of a pain in the ass, and I'm not sure why I chose to do it this way. Unfortunately, it's too late to go and do it better, so for now I've converted the small Doom font to work within this system. It isn't a perfect translation - you'll notice I had to take liberties with a few characters to make them fit - but it's good enough. You can toggle it on in the options.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”