Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

ragepyre87
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by ragepyre87 »

This is my first reply, but, as a Finnish, I wanted to point this out. In the GZDoom version 4.5.0, there's a problem with Finnish language with Doom texts. With all of these texts, every "y"-letter is an "i"-letter. For example, when you find a secret, the game says "Sala löidetti!", when it should read "Sala löydetty!". This is not limited to just secrets, but with every word, that has "y"-letters. I attached a picture with this reply to show it. It's not a big thing, really, but disturbing, if one plays in Finnish. Otherwise, great job with the translation.
Attachments
Displayes Finnish text, when finding a secret. Wrong! Should be "Sala Löydetty!"
Displayes Finnish text, when finding a secret. Wrong! Should be "Sala Löydetty!"
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Are you sure this is not just a regional dialect thing?

Maybe the person who did the translation comes from an area that just does it differently.

I don't know Finnish though so I don't know the actual situation here. But that's the first thing that comes to mind.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Strange. It says Sala löydetty! in the sheet. Is this a rendering bug in the engine?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think it's that pipe symbol in the 'y' slot striking again, but that should be fixed by now. I get proper 'y's.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Is there someone here who is interested in extending the fonts for the Build games in Raze - or translating the open texts?
With most other pressing issues out of the way I think it is about time we start to make some progress there.

Unfortunately, unlike Doom, some of the fonts are not that easy to handle, especially Redneck Rampage's very stylish variants, so these will need someone with a bit more artistic skill.
Muleke_Trairao

Post by Muleke_Trairao »

Hey! I have sent Graf Zahl a PM about this a few days ago, but I hope it's ok if I also ask for permission here.

I am Jean Trindade Pereira, a Brazilian video game translator with 6 years of experience in the field.

I would like to ask for permission to edit the localization spreadsheet, so that I can contribute to the localization of GZDoom and Raze (both sourceports and all games supported by them). My goal is to review the already translated content, making consistency checks, grammar and spelling corrections where needed, and also improvements so that the texts sound more natural.

Can't wait to help! :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Just a quick note to whoever added these:

I just noticed that a large number of French texts in the Raze table were added - all in uppercase!
In the future, please ensure that *all* texts have proper sentence case! If they don't they won't work with a full font. The Duke small font does have a full lower case range, it's just not filled in properly - but mods can definitely do it. We should make sure that all texts are ready for that.
These texts also have no accents

Unfortunately they will all have to be reworked. :(
Negostrike

Post by Negostrike »

Muleke_Trairao wrote:Hey! I have sent Graf Zahl a PM about this a few days ago, but I hope it's ok if I also ask for permission here.

I am Jean Trindade Pereira, a Brazilian video game translator with 6 years of experience in the field.

I would like to ask for permission to edit the localization spreadsheet, so that I can contribute to the localization of GZDoom and Raze (both sourceports and all games supported by them). My goal is to review the already translated content, making consistency checks, grammar and spelling corrections where needed, and also improvements so that the texts sound more natural.

Hey there and welcome! I did pretty much 99% of the translation to Brazilian Portuguese you can see on the spreadsheet.
Not sure if you already got editing permissions, but I'm all ears for suggestions for improvement meanwhile. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to revise it entirely, so any help would be great, especially from a professional.
Muleke_Trairao

Post by Muleke_Trairao »

Negostrike wrote:
Muleke_Trairao wrote:Hey! I have sent Graf Zahl a PM about this a few days ago, but I hope it's ok if I also ask for permission here.

Hey there and welcome! I did pretty much 99% of the translation to Brazilian Portuguese you can see on the spreadsheet.
Not sure if you already got editing permissions, but I'm all ears for suggestions for improvement meanwhile. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to revise it entirely, so any help would be great, especially from a professional.
Hey, Neostrike! Good to know!

Unfortunately, I still don't have editing permission.

Glad to know you're open-minded! :D After I get the chance to make edits, I'll let you know if I have any feedback.

Thanks!
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I already entered your email. If this did not work, please request access through Google Docs's interface.
Hurykles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Hurykles »

Heyyy.... sorry for being gone for a very long time (because some personal stuff and general loss of interest in doom) But now.... i live.... again
I noticed that a lot of new options was added since i translated stuff into polish. So.... i translated this new stuff. Also i've seen that raze will also get this translation treatment so.... i am willing to help with it too
Also no... i haven't finished translating strife. But i plan to finish it.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Regarding Raze, yes it should come, but right now the biggest issue is the missing fonts. So I use this opportunity again to call for help there again. Anyone willing to contribute extended character support is welcome.
Rouge Elric
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Rouge Elric »

Well, I have returned to this forum after two years of absence. Right now I am reviewing the Spanish texts from the document uploaded to Drive to correct possible spelling mistakes, determine if X name should be translated or not, and translate the texts that are missing to be translated.

Names of Doom demons that should be untranslated in my opinion, except for those that have already been decided not to be translated: Imp and Revenant.
The reason: Imp and Revenant was left untranslated in the Spanish version of Doom 2016.

I take writing and spelling very seriously, and if I can contribute to the translation of texts, I make sure they are as professional as possible.

PS: I will also check the Spanish texts for Raze occasionally.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Graf Zahl wrote:Regarding Raze, yes it should come, but right now the biggest issue is the missing fonts.
FYI, I already did the Duke fonts myself, they are complete now for Latin script. Cyrillic isn't done yet, but since neither Russian nor Serbian are anywhere near a usable state they are not that urgent. Still, if someone could help out here it'd be appreciated. These letters are often a lot more work than adding accents to the Latin ones.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just checked the translation sheets. Here's the list of missing texts:

Code: Select all

Common:
OPTMNU_WRITEINI, es fr it ko ru sr
MNU_MULTIPLAYER, it ko ru sr
DSPLYMNU_SBSCALE, it ko ru sr
MSGMNU_PULSEMESSAGES, it ko ru sr
MSGMNU_MESSAGESCALE, it ko ru sr
SNDMNU_SNDENABLED, it ko ru sr
SNDMNU_MUSENABLED, it ko ru sr
SNDMNU_MENUSOUND, es fr it ko ru sr
OPTVAL_LOWEST, it ko ru sr
VIDMNU_MAXFPS, it ko ru sr
MISCMNU_NOCHEATS, fr it ko ru sr
MISCMNU_CLEANMENU es hu it ko ru sr

GZDoom Engine Strings
GMPLYMNU_INSTANTREACTION, eo fr it ko nl pl ru sr
GMPLYMNU_ALWAYSSPAWNMULTI, fr it ko nl ru sr
DSPLYMNU_MOVEBOB, nl
DSPLYMNU_STILLBOB, nl
MISCMNU_INTERSCROLL, nl
GLTEXMNU_RESIZESKN, cs eo fr it jp ko nl pl pt ru sr
GLTEXMNU_TRIMSPREDGE, nl
DSPLYMNU_BOBFIRE, fr it ko ru sr
SCALEMNU_SCALECLASSIC, it ko ru sr
SCALEMNU_INTER, it ko ru sr
SCALEMNU_BORDER, it ko ru sr
SCALEMNU_FACTOR, it ko ru sr
SCALEMNU_RATIO, it ko ru sr
MISCMNU_ALWAYSTALLY, it ko sr
OPTVAL_MODDEFINED, it ko sr
OPTVAL_NOTHUBS, it ko sr
OPTVAL_WITHHUBS, it ko sr
CNTRLMNU_LAYOUT, it ko nl ru sr
OPTVAL_CLASSICZ, it ko nl ru sr
OPTVAL_MODERN, it ko nl ru sr
OPTVAL_MODERNLEFT, it ko nl ru sr
MISCMNU_SETSLOTSTRICT, it ko nl ru sr
MISCMNU_CLEANMENU, it ko nl ru sr
MISCMNU_WIPERCENT, it ko nl ru sr
MISCMNU_CLEANSTAT, it ko nl ru sr
TAG_STRIFEZOMBIE, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
TAG_CEILINGTURRET, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
TAG_CRUSADER, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
TAG_INQUISITOR, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
TAG_PEASANT, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
TAG_REAVER, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
TAG_SENTINEL, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
TAG_STALKER, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
TAG_BISHOP, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
TAG_ENTITY, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
TAG_PROGRAMMER, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
TAG_ALIENSPECTRE, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
TAG_KNEELINGGUY, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
GMPLYMNU_MULTIPLAYERTHINGS, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
DSPLYMNU_SPRITESHADOW, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
OPTVAL_SPRSHADALWAYS, fi fr it ko nl ru sr
One more thing: I noticed that some people inserted new texts in the middle of the sheet. Quite unsurprisingly these were often missed by the translators. So, please always add new texts at the end! They may be moved to a proper place once all languages have been translated, but keeping incomplete lines together at the end of the sheets will make the translation job a lot easier!

Return to “Developer Blog”