Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
A_gunFlash

Re: Weapons of Saturn v1.9

Post by A_gunFlash »

And me again now mp-40 shines like a torch after shot all time until i use other gun in software rendering.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

I've never tested this in software mode, and I immediately found the culprit. For some reason I ended the flash states with "stop" instead of "Goto LightDone" and it makes me want to run through everything else and make sure I haven't overlooked anything. I'll post an updated version in a day or so, thanks for the feedback!
huanlopan
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by huanlopan »

This is really something you've got here. I've been searching for something more than vanilla, but less than Brutal Doom and this hits the sweetest of sweet spots. One thing: The minigun sounds like a fart more than a minigun. Everything else I can't really fault.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Played the new version of WoS for a while and as usual, i'm in love with all the weapons. Especially MP40! You actually can use Pistol along with it and gain the extra-firepower! And the pistol mag actually depletes separately and that's really cool.
Spoiler: And here's the today's feedback
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Glad you like it, J!

The chainsaw comment has me thinking: I could just reduce damage and call it a day, but I like the fuel idea. I started messing with it and added a slow fuel drain while idling and holding altfire, and the random fire state that does more damage takes fuel while the lower damage doesn't so it looks like a natural fuel drain while firing. Then after fighting with ammo depletion not deselecting the saw reliably, I had an idea to just let it run out of fuel and still be used as a melee weapon. It'll take a bit more tweaking with animation and alternate fire states but I think it's a cool idea.

I see nothing wrong with making the explosions and other effects a little more sizable, consider it done!

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by changing the POV with the MP40 and minigun. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary, but I could be overlooking something.

And drawing animation, you mean for the chainsaw? Again I'm not seeing a missing frame, but it could be my eyes.

The plasma rifle is something I've been in the middle of revamping for months now, but I haven't completely gotten there yet.
huanlopan wrote:The minigun sounds like a fart
Well pardon me. I actually had the same thought the other day, not even kidding. I agree it sounds like a fart, but like a fart, it just feels good to let it rip. If I come across a better sound I'll see how well it can fit.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Lippeth wrote:The chainsaw comment has me thinking: I could just reduce damage and call it a day, but I like the fuel idea. I started messing with it and added a slow fuel drain while idling and holding altfire, and the random fire state that does more damage takes fuel while the lower damage doesn't so it looks like a natural fuel drain while firing. Then after fighting with ammo depletion not deselecting the saw reliably, I had an idea to just let it run out of fuel and still be used as a melee weapon. It'll take a bit more tweaking with animation and alternate fire states but I think it's a cool idea.
That sounds like a very good concept. To make it usable in any situation, despite of having the penalty.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by changing the POV with the MP40 and minigun. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary, but I could be overlooking something.
Just try full auto on your your MP40 and and deplete its mag. Don't fire it again, switch into other weapon and then switch it back. POV... I mean FOV, the Field of View feels slightly further. The same thing to Chaingun.
And drawing animation, you mean for the chainsaw? Again I'm not seeing a missing frame, but it could be my eyes.
Yeah, i mean chainsaw's drawing, raising animation. If you look carefully, you'll see the missing frame that goes invisible.
Lippeth

Re: Weapons of Saturn v2.0a

Post by Lippeth »

Semi-minor update:

I've added a fuel mechanic for the chainsaw, removed a whole array of unused assets and I think I've fixed most of the issues mentioned about the last version.

Weapons of Saturn v2.0a

I did all this last month and haven't gotten around to sharing the update until now. Enjoy!
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Link says v1.9, so just checking if that's correct.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

It may take a bit for Mediafire to get the message, but if you select the chainsaw and there's an ammo number then it's the right version. If not I'll reupload it.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

The chainsaw seems to be missing a frame during the raise state. If you set i_timescale to a value lower than 1.0 to get slomo, you can see that it disappears for one tic.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

So I think that was just a clumsy animation on my part. I remember trying to make it like you swipe down and then bring it up. So the two last frames are below the screen. I'll try and do something else and make it not so awkward looking. Somehow it looks just as weird when I copy the animation from the altfire state and bring it in from the left, so I may omit the raise attack altogether.

I'm also pretty curious as to how the balance of fuel consumption is for it. I haven't touched this mod in a while but when I added the fuel mechanic I was worried that it could run out when it's most needed.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

So I finally got around to playing the new version and I wanted to provide my thoughts on it:

-I'm really not a big fan of the fuel mechanic for the chainsaw since I feel like the chainsaw is meant to be a fallback weapon or ammo conservation weapon to use on melee monsters. Suddenly running out of fuel can end up making for problems. I think having a CVAR to enable/disable the fuel mechanic would be welcomed.
-Speaking of ammo, I'm not sure if this has been a thing since the inception of the mod and I'm only just realizing it now it or if this is new to 2.0a but the amount of ammo you get from shotguns is greatly reduced (if I recall right the current amounts you get are two shells from shotguns dropped by Shotgunners, four shells from shotguns pickups on the map, two shells from double-barreled shotgun pickups). This can end up being an issue with ammo balance on maps that are reliant on using the shotgun. Of course, this could just be me wanting to use the shotgun for almost everything. :P In any event, having an option to adjust the shells you get from pickups would be nice.
-I feel like the total ammo for the assault rifle with a backpack should be bigger than what it is currently. I remember it being higher in previous versions (I think it was 300(?) with a backpack in older versions).

I'll play it with some more levels. So far I've been playing it with single level WADs so maybe my concerns may be nullified if I play it with a megaWAD instead. :P
ZeroFox

Post by ZeroFox »

I agree an option to disable the fuel mechanic would be great. Not a fan of it either personally. Also, would you consider an option for a default SSG animation? I prefer the original holding of the weapon. Aside from those minor things I really do love this mod and is my new go too :D .
Lippeth

Re: Weapons of Saturn v2.0b

Post by Lippeth »

Removed chainsaw fuel. It was a cool idea but ultimately it ruined the backup usage that it should have. Also reverted to shotgun pickups giving their original amount. I had halved it because of the extra amount you start with, but it risked breaking the flow of longer levels.

Rather than giving the option to disable these things I just changed them. I was in the middle of making a cvar option to have the chainsaw use fuel, but ultimately decided to just remove it altogether, because I'm not even sure I like it, it was just something I wanted to try out.

And option for the original ssg design wouldn't be bad, and should be easy to do, just slightly tedious. I'll start tinkering with it and hopefully you'll see it in the next update.
Verminium

Re: Weapons of Saturn v2.0b

Post by Verminium »

I just want to say this is by far one of my favorite weapon wads ever and I just found it the other week too. It's exactly what I was looking for in a weapon pack. Some variance on the original weapons and a limited selection of new ones and alt fires on nearly all the weapons. The ability to toggle reloading on or off with all the weapons is a huge bonus if you want a more modern or classic experience. Amazing job on making this wad.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”