[WIP-Demo] Odam - a modest update

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
grotski
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[WIP-Demo] Odam - a modest update

Post by grotski »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
ODAM brings out interesting modern features GZdoom has to offer. High def textures, dynamic lights, 3d architecture. Featuring rougelite elements such as random weapon spawns, random ammo drops and randomized monster type encounters. No two playthroughs will be completely the same, neat right?

Features:
11 moody and atmospheric maps with more to come
7 3D modeled unique, weird monsters to rip your flesh. ranged enemies are in the works
5 3D weapons with modernish animation. more variety in the future.

Screenshots from in development and recent!
Spoiler:
Demo: https://www.mediafire.com/file/xjh9eo65 ... 1.pk3/file
Last edited by grotski on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Leglock
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [WIP] Odam

Post by Leglock »

I am always up for a Roguelite experience. I always wanted a Doom mod fo sorts. When you have any Demo to test, I will roll it!
grotski

Post by grotski »

I can have a demo out within the week I think, mostly want to redo the weapons I've got right now. Curious as to how well this runs on other people's machines too. I've got fairly large textures and at one point a bug was lagging my rather beefy computer.
4shot

Post by 4shot »

Looks intriguing. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a demo so I can give it a shot.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

The atmosphere is odam good!

Heh, sorry. But really, the dark dreariness is very creamy!
grotski

Re: [WIP-Demo] Odam

Post by grotski »

Trying my damnedest to get a special death chance on melee kills for one of the monsters in. Pretty outside my purview of skill. New demo when I've made a new level theme.
grotski

Post by grotski »

Minor update, texture overhaul, bugfixes, level updates, added displacement shader from DGD's PBR Shader Revamp Project.

chugs on gzdoom latest, use 4.4.2

Demo here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/b8pq60y2d ... 0.pk3/file
INI: http://www.mediafire.com/file/89vz3kne0 ... e.ini/file
grotski

Post by grotski »

Feeling a little more confident after practicing animation some more. Should be able to crank out lots of weapons now.
grotski

Re: [WIP-Demo] Odam - a modest update

Post by grotski »

Screenshots from in development and recent!
Spoiler:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

The lighting effect and the HD textures are super great. Feels definitely like a different game than Doom-based game! Looking forward to the update.
Spoiler: EDIT: Here are my feedback.
grotski

Post by grotski »

Thanks a lot for the feedback. A couple of the things you mention are intentional but I can definitely accept the importance of fun over messing with the player. That said I think I'll probably try to put everything you've explained into work.

Firstly I believe I'll look around for an enemy tracker for the HUD.

All the weapons are getting a slight damage increase to balance the shotgun.
Ammo will be more intentional because of this.

M1919 will probably be raised up so you can look down the sights. I really like the idea of a big clunky stupid gun but I'll change it if there's protest.

I think for health there might be a case for putting in first aid stations or something that leaves you vulnerable.

The ghost boss has a trick to him, originally the game was going to be melee focused so he was pretty trivial and you'd just hunt him down using sound. I'll make it so he fades in and out since ranged weapons are the go-to now probably add more too.

HUD was partly me being lazy and partly because I thought it'd be funny to leave you guessing since your health is restored at the start of the level. I'll put in a full HUD :lol:
grotski

Post by grotski »

Not a big update but an important one. Fleshing out more of the gameplay with trolly non-pickups on weapon, ammo and monster spawns. Easy mode, extra ammo, half damage taken. A radar unapologetically taken from these very forums ( viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29497 ) ( viewtopic.php?t=46753 ) level tweaks and another converted level from my Pollution coop project. Looking for input on the idea of putting in a hub with level select based on size, giving the player a random loadout before the level they choose.

Download:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/xjh9eo65 ... 1.pk3/file

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”