[DeusDoom: Augmentations] adding Deus Ex augmentations to Doom

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
cyber_cool
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[DeusDoom: Augmentations] adding Deus Ex augmentations to Doom

Post by cyber_cool »

DeusDoom: Augmentations is a mod that adds augmentation mechanics from Deus Ex game into Doom. It's universal and works with almost every other mod - even those that change player class!

How it works:
Killing any monster can now drop the following items:
  • Augmentation cannister gives you a choice between two augmentations. You can view and install them on augmentation screen (P by default).
    Augmentations make you stronger in many ways, but most of them consume bioelectric energy.
    If augmentation is passive, it works all the time (and it has a green icon). Otherwise, you have to toggle it on (numpad 1-9 by default, but I'd recommend to rebind to F1-F9), or it won't work (and it starts consuming energy when turned on).
  • Bioelectric cell is an inventory item that can be consumed (O by default, or "Use cell" in augmentations screen) to restore 25 bioelectric energy to a maximum of 100.
  • Augmentation upgrade cannister allows you to upgrade augmentations (on the same screen) up to level 4 (synthetic heart caps at level 1 though). They get stronger with each level, more details are provided in description on the HUD.
  • Legendary augmentation upgrade cannister is the most rare item. It can be used on a maximum level augmentation to further boost it's capabilities. Unlike plain upgrades, legendary upgrades focus on adding more features instead of making numbers go up.
Other important notes:
  • Monsters also get certain augmentations. If you wish to play without this feature (can be VERY laggy with large monster count) or adjust the settings, you can do this in the mod options.
  • If you don't like the display position of certain UI elements, you can adjust it in the mod options.
  • If you don't pick up a cannister and exit the level, it will be on your starting point on the next level (if the appropriate setting is enabled; by default, only augmentation and legendary upgrade cannisters are transferred between levels).
  • There is no going back when installing an augmentation (same goes for legendary upgrades). The slot is permanently occupied. However, if you find an augmentation cannister and use the feature described above, on the next level augmentations in the cannister will be re-rolled (remember that you can drop cannisters by clicking the red arrow button).
Before you play:
  • Make sure that the latest deusdoom-core is loaded BEFORE deusdoom-augmentations.
  • Assign keybinds for displaying augmentations menu, toggling augmentation, consuming bioelectric cells and dashing.. Please use the mod's options menu and not Controls menu (for some reason the latter doesn't save the keybinds).
  • When reporting a bug, please attach a screeshot or a log of a VM abort (if it starts generating the same error message over and over, try to scroll to the top and screenshot the first message) and read the aug description in the post to see if it's an intended behavior or not.
Complete description of all augmentations and legendary upgrades:
Spoiler:
For developers:
Spoiler:
Video trailer:

Credits:
  • Image/audio assets, mod idea:
  • Deus Ex
    Special thanks to:
  • Accensus - making remastered UI graphics
  • Yholl - extensive playtesting, finding bugs, suggesting ideas
  • KeksDose - for making wonderful libeye code library viewtopic.php?f=105&t=64566#p1102157
  • KarolineDianne - suggesting ideas
  • ZikShadow - extensive playtesting
  • josh771 - graphical assets
  • Sledge - suggesting ideas
  • D2Icarus - finding a very interesting bug
  • IKA - finding a bug
  • Ryuhi - suggesting ideas
  • silentw - playtesting
  • Doomguy914 - finding a typo
  • Kneight - finding a bug
Specific compatibility: Downloads:
The latest version: https://github.com/cyberc001/deusdoom-a ... master.zip
DeusDoom core (load before DeusDoom augmentations): https://github.com/cyberc001/deusdoom-c ... master.zip
Github repository: https://github.com/cyberc001/deusdoom-augmentations
DeusDoom core Github repository: https://github.com/cyberc001/deusdoom-core
Last edited by cyber_cool on Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:54 pm, edited 41 times in total.
Doomguy914

Re: [ALPHA] DeusDoom

Post by Doomguy914 »

This looks extremely fun despite having never played the DeusEx games. Downloading and will report any bugs if I find any. :D

Edit: Play tested it a little bit and it was interesting. Felt like I was fighting the menu and the mod itself more than the Doom monsters. The rate at which your bio-cell depletes seems too fast. Also, bi-cell packs were far too abundant. I think lowering the chance of them dropping and lowering the rate at which energy is reduced would fit it more into Doom's pace of gameplay. I don't know what Deus Ex is normally like, but even with a fully upgraded drain rate mitigation implant, I was still consuming 2 cells per engagement, with only about 3 augments active.

Also, found a typo in the PDA.

JohnnyTheWolf

Re: [ALPHA] DeusDoom: adding Deus Ex augmentations to Doom

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Deus Ex augmentations with actually fun combat? Colour me interested!

But is this mod inspired by Lithium?
cyber_cool

Re: [ALPHA] DeusDoom

Post by cyber_cool »

Doomguy914 wrote: Edit: Play tested it a little bit and it was interesting. Felt like I was fighting the menu and the mod itself more than the Doom monsters. The rate at which your bio-cell depletes seems too fast. Also, bi-cell packs were far too abundant. I think lowering the chance of them dropping and lowering the rate at which energy is reduced would fit it more into Doom's pace of gameplay. I don't know what Deus Ex is normally like, but even with a fully upgraded drain rate mitigation implant, I was still consuming 2 cells per engagement, with only about 3 augments active.

Also, found a typo in the PDA.
I fixed the typo you mentioned. Also, thanks for the review. I think I went too hard on increasing energy costs, and you're indeed right. For now, I decreased energy drain and drop rate of cells a bit, and also added a hotkey for using a cell so you don't have to constantly go to the menu. I am also planning on adding a display for current amount of energy you have.
Also, original Deus Ex mostly went hard on bioelectric cells which were really rare (but had repair bots that could refill your whole energy supply).

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Deus Ex augmentations with actually fun combat? Colour me interested!
But is this mod inspired by Lithium?
I've played Lithium and found it a very enjoyable and great mod, but no, this is inspired solely by Deus Ex. I think that Lithium is inspired by Deus Ex, too, but DeusDoom just straight up adopts the whole augmentation system properties (like all the augmentations being active and requiring energy to function).
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

My Doomguy is augmented.

I've only recently tried the first Deus Ex, or any Deus Ex game for that matter for the first time, and I regret having missed out on it for so long, and now this! Keep up the good work, can't wait for the final release!

Surveillance drone gave me some Perfect Dark vibes aswell.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Very cool. That wallhack effect isn't perfect, but it still looks fantastic and works way better than I expected.
OlegGontar

Post by OlegGontar »

Helly Cyber, congrats, your mod is great :)

I hope you will add Deus Ex weapons in the near future :)
Kneight

Post by Kneight »

Awesome mod! I love it.

Btw found a bug with Plutonia after completing first map, no other mods just this one.
GZDoom 4.5.0
Spoiler:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this may happen after maps with 0 items and 0 secrets.
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

Kneight wrote: Btw found a bug with Plutonia after completing first map, no other mods just this one.
GZDoom 4.5.0
Spoiler:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this may happen after maps with 0 items and 0 secrets.
Thank you for reporting this bug, you're totally right. Got it fixed.
Kinsie wrote:Very cool. That wallhack effect isn't perfect, but it still looks fantastic and works way better than I expected.
Thanks. It was done in kinda hacky way where I projected actor sprites onto player's screen and scaled their size based on distance to player, and mirrored sprites do not get mirrored when doing that.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Ever since the beginning i wanted to add upgrades to guns (or anything related to body modifications) to Kriegsland II: Untergrund, which is one of my mods i am most proud of, but i feel that i could add so much.

About Deus Ex itself, i've played some of Human Revolution on the PS3, started playing good guy, stealth builds, eventually gave up to start Fallout 3, then Borderlands 2, then Wolfenstein: The New Order... and i haven't seen Deus Ex since.

I'll be sure to try to make both these mods collide, or ask your help to do so, hahaha.

Thanks for this! This is a high accomplishment in Doom modding!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Very splendid and great mod! The augmentation system and upgrade of it are something i really wanted to make happen during plan my next mod. The detail of this mod is very neat.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Rebinding the aug UI key will occasionally leave it unable to close the menu, (for example, to X, G, KP0) leaving you softlocked as console and menu keys become non-functional. Regardless of however this is addressed, could I ask that escape be considered a global close key for that menu, regardless of binds?

Also, maybe it shouldn't eat the console key, either...
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

Somagu wrote:Rebinding the aug UI key will occasionally leave it unable to close the menu, (for example, to X, G, KP0) leaving you softlocked as console and menu keys become non-functional. Regardless of however this is addressed, could I ask that escape be considered a global close key for that menu, regardless of binds?

Also, maybe it shouldn't eat the console key, either...
I am not entirely sure how GZDoom handles this, but apparently I can't prevent an event handler from eating any kind of keys if uiProcess == true, so I added Esc as a global key for closing augmentations screen.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Much appreciated!
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

Somagu wrote:Much appreciated!
I appreciate you reporting the issue even more.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”