The Inquisitor 3D v1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
anjinsanroland

Re: The Inquisitor 3D v1.3

Post by anjinsanroland »

Shadowman wrote: with completely three-dimensional monsters from 3D models :)
am i the only one that goes:
NOooo... please, not the 3d models
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Why not be 3D models?
I already perceive sprites too flatly. It is much more difficult to draw hi-res sprites than to make an acceptable 3D model (and I have no familiar artists, but there are familiar modelers). Existing monster sprites for gzdoom are based on mixing sprites from Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Duke3d, Blood, Powerslave. With the addition of Might & Magic sprites. But all this is already utterly hackneyed! The 3D model can be made the way you want, a completely new monster that was not in the previous sprites.
Cassidy
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cassidy »

If your going to make a third game with 3D models I'd say go for it. The rpg system used for Inq3D and Ascension has a nice flow to it (imo). Will Big Memka join in on the next game? I wish that Inq3D and Ascension were just a little bit longer. And out of curiosity, I wonder how demanding the next game will be. Keep going :thumb:
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

I guess 3D models will make the next game way more demanding on zdoom.

Good 2D sprites are a vintage rarity and my personel preferance that reminds me of daggerfall and might and magic. Though they look flatty, they don't feel out of place in this engine. However you are right about all the sprites being overly used in the community without much new additions. I wish there were more artists who would contribute fresh ones.

Of course it is your creative decision and I respect it. I also understand your need to expand your talents and go beyond limitations to prevent stagnation. It is the way for artists to go.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

So far, I cannot say anything about the timing or the participants. As far as I know, Big Memka wanted to make a couple of additional maps for Ascension, so maybe this mod will be updated again.
Working with 3D models of actors is going very slowly, but the first results are already there.
1. Parade of mice
https://i.postimg.cc/zGCt1xqd/Screensho ... 205959.png
2. Skeleton Warriors
https://i.postimg.cc/SQG2Y5yX/Screensho ... 204453.png
3. Monk-NPC
https://i.postimg.cc/3Jkw9ywx/Screensho ... 210752.png
I also posted these screenshots on the Russian doom forum.
I will not create a separate topic, so write here.
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

They look better than i feared. If your new mod can change my mind about enjoying 3D models in nostalgic games then maybe i will be able to give a chance to might and magic 9
blakecasimir

Post by blakecasimir »

Shadowman wrote:
blakecasimir wrote:They are some of the greatest Doom mods I've had the pleasure to play and I'm actually pretty gutted they are over, only because they were so good. It's difficult to balance RPGs, and I would share other's comments about occasional difficulty spikes and certain enemies being tricky.
I am very glad that you liked both mods! I also believe that the potential of the RPG system used in Inq 3d and Ascension has not yet been exhausted. Maybe someday there will be a third game... with completely three-dimensional monsters from 3D models :)
Your 3D models look great. There is still a lot of potential for your RPG system, I agree. I'm hoping we have not seen the last of it. I find it difficult to play "normal Doom" any more because I enjoy this type of gameplay more.

Put it this way: I recognise how much work it would be, but if you and BigMemka did a game in this style with all new content, sold it, I would buy it immediately on release.
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

blakecasimir wrote:if you and BigMemka did a game in this style with all new content, sold it, I would buy it immediately on release.
me too
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

blakecasimir wrote: Put it this way: I recognise how much work it would be, but if you and BigMemka did a game in this style with all new content, sold it, I would buy it immediately on release.
I am very grateful to you for the appreciation of our work! Meanwhile, the collection of 3d models for monsters is growing.
Flying margoyles are ready:
https://i.postimg.cc/1zD8wLJS/Screensho ... 005839.png
https://i.postimg.cc/hP7cXVCW/Screensho ... 005707.png

I would also like to know how you feel about the possibility of replacing sprite monsters in Inquisitor3d and Ascension with model counterparts in the future?
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

Your models look lovely. However if you replace sprites in your old mods with models, I still would like to be able to download an up to date version of them with sprite graphics.
If you can support both sprite and model versions of your mods, that will provide the community an option of aesthetic and performance, though it will require extra work on your part.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

anjinsanroland wrote:Your models look lovely. However if you replace sprites in your old mods with models, I still would like to be able to download an up to date version of them with sprite graphics.
If you can support both sprite and model versions of your mods, that will provide the community an option of aesthetic and performance, though it will require extra work on your part.
For old projects, a complete replacement of sprites with 3D models is hardly possible, since I do not plan to make models for those monsters that will not be used in new projects. In any case, the ability to play with sprite graphics in old mods will remain - either as an option in a single mod, or as a version of the mod for installation.
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

I am glad to hear that. That will make transitioning easy for the players with low-end machines that will eventually upgrade them. A version to play for everyone is neat.
endromidia
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by endromidia »

When I launch it, the new textures don't show up.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

What version of GZDoom are you using? Could you show a screen from the level - where new textures are not shown?
Required iwad - Doom2.wad
ShadT
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by ShadT »

Greetings to all!
So, meet "Inquisitor 3d" v.1.4!
Throughout the summer of 2022, Guest and I have been updating the mod. There have been many changes. In short, now the language is selected in the GZDoom menu (English (default) or Russian), you can set the delay of lights on torches (to optimize FPS on maps) in Inquisitor3d menu; weapons and monsters decorate have been modified, the Warrior's Fire Cannon has been replaced with Ice Cannon. New locations have also been added to existing maps (very few).
Have a nice game!

Download:
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/paeZOM0KdpzfkQ

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”