Led's Generic Weapon Mod (UPDATED! April 2 2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LedIris

Re: Led's Generic Weapon Mod (UPDATED Aug 14 2020)

Post by LedIris »

Wow! Huge thanks for the feedback post, Endless! I can tell you put a lot of effort into it and I really appreciate it.
- Voxels OFF option wont stay. This means that every time I start a new game, the voxels are on.
I believe this is default GZDoom behaviour as this exact thing happens to me and has happened to others a few pages back. Perhaps I should add some menu text about this
- Randomly, I can't pick up green armor even when under 100%. This happened to me on the maps in the Serenity series, so maybe that's it.
Did you have blue armor at the time? There is a mechanic where you can't pick up green armor unless you have <50% blue armor, as blue armor still has better protection when low. I think I also should explain this somewhere too :D
- By disabling the reloading option, the shotgun no longer fires in the secondary mode (one shot per click.) Is this intentional?
Yeah this is intentional, the SSG is closer to its vanilla form when reloading is disabled
--- FEEDBACK ---
First off, lets start with the weapons.
- Fists & Chainsaw: Great, both of them. The chainsaw is now both useful and fun to use.
- Pistol: Better, faster, stronger. The sound is decent enough. My only issue has to be with the ammo (see below.)
- Rifle: Awesome. I love the sound of this one, my favorite gun to use now. Maybe the only thing I would change is making it a lil bit more accurate when aiming, but thats ok. Also, I think the spawn rate its quite low. In both Doom 1 & 2 fist levels, I would finish them without the rifle spawning.
- Shotgun: Same as rifle, awesome to use and more faster, which means much fun.
- SSG: Not that much of a change, but still fun to use, the sound is great, very powerful. I would only make it a little more powerful to the point that it can one-shot a revenant at point blank. Yes, this would make it much stronger, but also much fun to use and perfect for dealing against really tanky enemies.
- Chaingun: The sound is both smooth and strong, without being hyper load. I love the ''cooling'' sound too. Feels great, I would probably make the ''charging'' effect a little faste and actually increase a little more the rate of fire.
- Rocket Launcher: Beautiful. The faster rate of fire is very fun, buuut, I really wish you would change the dmg the player takes. Now because if fires faster, you can kill yourself really easy if a lost soul gets in your face for a split second while firing. Its one of those things of vanilla that I actually dont really like.
- Plasmagun: Now it sounds like a plasma gun! Pretty strong like it needs to be and the secondary fire now feels much punchier. I still dont use it that much tho, mostly because it consumes some ammo and the only times I use it is for sniping cacodemons, which take more than 3 total secundary fires to die on UV, so it kinda becomes a novelty.
- BFG: Its the goddamn BFG, its already perfect. I mean... making it stronger woundnt hurt anyone, only demons. :wink:
Glad to hear you love the weapons! The SSG actually can one hit a revenant in my experience but it seems you need insanely good RNG for it :) I'll keep the Chaingun & Rocket suggestions in mind, too!
--- OVERALL ---
- This one is MAJOR, at least for me. It's the only complaint I have about the mod. The new ammunition system doesn't feel like it fits into the game. Now with pistol, rifle and minigun ammunition, I almost always had an exaggeration of pistol ammunition, half ammunition for the rifle and almost nothing for the mingun (especially now that it shoots faster, it spends faster.) This is especially noticeable in The Ultimate Doom where there are no chaingunners to supply us. The way you can improve this is simple: You can either go back to the simple 1 type of ammunition system for all 3 weapons, or you can increase either the total amount of ammunition or the amount of ammunition collected. Either of those can be an improvement, but personally, I am not a fan of the ammunition system. Also, the fact that theres no more ''bullets'' (Vanilla I mean) means that the vanilla statusbar doenst work correctly because it doesnt track bullets, and thus, most HUD's wont work too. Pity.
- The explosive barrels are great, I like them, but I think the mixed mode that adds the crates doesn't make a big difference. The crates don't spawn much and don't give much ammunition anyway, sometimes they don't even give at all. You should buffer that a little.
- One of the annoying things about Doom Vanilla is the 200% health and armor limit. I say this because when you reach the limit, you will still collect both HP and Armor bonuses, and it's something I find annoying especially on maps where you are forced to collect the bonuses, which ends up being a waste. If you could fix this it would be great, I think that 1) you could remove the limit or 2) you could make that when you reach the limit, you don't collect bonus anymore to avoid wasting them.
- The flash when picking up the objects is a bit strong for me. It is not annoying, I like it, but when playing in the dark it would be good to have an option to change it a little less bright.
- When you pick up Invulnerability there is a great glow of a cream color or a mixture that lasts longer than it should, I think this is kind of annoying. Within the same issue, you should change the extremely white/barely black mode that has the vanilla invulnerability.
I've noted these suggestions and I'll experiment with them (namely the ammo system) and push a few of them to the next build. These are great suggestions! I think the ammo system may be quite a big change as it has been this way since the mod's inception, so I may upload an experimental build for feedback.
- What do you think about adding some crosshairs? That would be awesome to go along with the more modern look and feel.
I haven't thought of adding crosshairs as I don't use them myself :lol: but I have seen other mods implement them and it is certainly an interesting idea, so I will be keeping this in mind too
- For even cooler visuals, how about adding some bullet tracers? They always look cool in my book.
I've had some thoughts about implementing these as you're correct, they do look very cool 8-) I may add them as a toggle option in a future build.
Well, that's some of the things I can recommend. Keep in mind that I'm not a modder, I don't know about that, but I'm an enthusiast of the game and I quite enjoy Mods that improve the quality of life and speed up pacing a bit. This has been one of my recent favorites. I tried the game for a few hours with Leds, using both The Ultimate Doom (with the Serenity series) and Doom 2 (with DBP09, Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions and the IWAD) and I had a very good experience. I will keep up playing with it for now, I like it well enough to do so. This is my overall opinion: This is a great mod and thank you for the effort. I hope you found this both helpful and inspiring. Thanks! :)
I very much appreciate your post! It's great feedback and it truly is very helpful. Thanks for playing and I'm glad you enjoy!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Honestly I like the ammo system, and it makes more sense than sharing an ammo type across everything, because that just invalidates the pistol. This way you actually switch between each weapon for different purposes, it's one of the things I like about this mod. Maybe just lower pistol ammo drops a bit and buff the other two slightly? In a way it kind of makes sense you'd have more pistol ammo anyway, it's weaker.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

-Ghost- wrote:Honestly I like the ammo system, and it makes more sense than sharing an ammo type across everything, because that just invalidates the pistol. This way you actually switch between each weapon for different purposes, it's one of the things I like about this mod. Maybe just lower pistol ammo drops a bit and buff the other two slightly? In a way it kind of makes sense you'd have more pistol ammo anyway, it's weaker.
It does indeed make more sense. I'll be sure to buff the other two for the next build. I've given it some thought and this appears to be the best solution :wink:
That0neBr075

Post by That0neBr075 »

Really solid mod! Just enough changes to make it feel different, but not so many that it still retains that vanilla vibe. Only real suggestion is to add an option of being able to fire the pistol as fast as you want by spamming primary fire. Besides that, really good work!
Virgingetorix

Post by Virgingetorix »

The only thing that kind of bugs me about this mod is the damage output of the different bullet weapons; the assault rifle and minigun seem like they so less damage per shot than the pistol, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering they're (supposedly) of a higher caliber. I understand if this was done for balancing reasons, but it still seems kind of odd.

Other than that, the mod is rock solid and I look forward to any future updates.
Cheater87

Post by Cheater87 »

How do you disable reloading can't find it in the mod's options.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I've been playing this with the Malice monster mod pack, it pairs pretty well. Enemies still go down relatively quickly, and the variety is nice alongside the expanded arsenal.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

That0neBr075 wrote:Really solid mod! Just enough changes to make it feel different, but not so many that it still retains that vanilla vibe. Only real suggestion is to add an option of being able to fire the pistol as fast as you want by spamming primary fire. Besides that, really good work!
Thanks! A solid suggestion and one I might implement into the next update. :D
Virgingetorix wrote:The only thing that kind of bugs me about this mod is the damage output of the different bullet weapons; the assault rifle and minigun seem like they so less damage per shot than the pistol, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering they're (supposedly) of a higher caliber. I understand if this was done for balancing reasons, but it still seems kind of odd.
Yeah, this was done for balancing reasons. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a realism/realistic view, but it works really well in gameplay.
Cheater87 wrote:How do you disable reloading can't find it in the mod's options.
In the mod's options, go to Weapon & Gameplay Options, and then Weapon Options, and you'll find it all there. I may update the menu at some point to make it a bit easier to navigate if this becomes a more frequent issue.
-Ghost- wrote:I've been playing this with the Malice monster mod pack, it pairs pretty well. Enemies still go down relatively quickly, and the variety is nice alongside the expanded arsenal.
That's awesome! I must try the Malice pack at some point, it does look like it will be a great combination with this mod, I also recommend Colorful Hell if you're looking for more bestiary packs, it works great!
LedIris

Re: Led's Generic Weapon Mod (UPDATED Dec 16 2020)

Post by LedIris »

Hi all! Here's a little quality-of-life patch of sorts that I've finished just in time for the holidays.
Spoiler: Changelog Dec 16 2020
I've also replaced the OP video with a more up to date one by tuin on YouTube. Big thanks and kudos to him for making it! Greatly appreciated :D
Hope everyone enjoys! Let me know if you have any suggestions or gripes. :wink:
StraightWhiteMan
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by StraightWhiteMan »

Thanks for this great update to one of my favorite mods, much appreciated. Really like the timer option for casings to fade away, and the new casing smoke effects a lot. I also appreciate you streamlining the options menu to be more efficient and less cluttered. Great work and thank you again.
Endless

Post by Endless »

Nice! New QoL update. Love that! I gotta tell you that this has been my go-to-mod since the first time I dropped some feedback. Still playing! :D

As for some testing, there seems to be a bug regarding the shotgun: With reloads disabled, I get the following message using LZDoom latest release: ''P_STARTSCRIPT: UNKNOWN SCRIPT ''PUMPTOGGLE''. This also doesn't allow for ''classic pump'' mode. I can't seem to change it. The bug seems to be fixed with Reloading enable tho. :?:
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Endless wrote:As for some testing, there seems to be a bug regarding the shotgun: With reloads disabled, I get the following message using LZDoom latest release: ''P_STARTSCRIPT: UNKNOWN SCRIPT ''PUMPTOGGLE''. This also doesn't allow for ''classic pump'' mode. I can't seem to change it. The bug seems to be fixed with Reloading enable tho. :?:
Whoops! Please redownload as I've just reuploaded the file with a fix for this issue. I knew something slipped through the cracks :D thanks for the report!
StraightWhiteMan wrote:Thanks for this great update to one of my favorite mods, much appreciated. Really like the timer option for casings to fade away, and the new casing smoke effects a lot. I also appreciate you streamlining the options menu to be more efficient and less cluttered. Great work and thank you again.
Endless wrote:Nice! New QoL update. Love that! I gotta tell you that this has been my go-to-mod since the first time I dropped some feedback. Still playing!
Thanks guys! The ongoing support for this mod continues to amaze me. I'm glad you all enjoy :wub:
Voydtt

Re: Led's Generic Weapon Mod (HOTFIX Dec 20 2020)

Post by Voydtt »

Love this mod!

Is there any chance you could add an option to have the ADS of the rifle and shotgun work by holding alt fire instead of a toggle?
Endless

Post by Endless »

Hey there Led! Just so you know, Led's Generic Weapons is still my main vanilla-friendly mod after all these time :D Love it. Here's some small recommendations for you to think about in case you plan on making future updates:
- Faster weapon switching.
- Can switch Shotgun and SSG between firing (Shotgun and SSG reload animation can now be cancelled by switching weapons.)
- Can toggle aiming/aim-down sights during mid-firing.
- Hold option for aiming/aim-down sight.
- Vanilla keys on/off option.
- Berserk and rad-suit screen/pallette dimed or more transparent.
- Plasma gun secondary fire deals more dmg or alternative, secondary shot now penetrates enemies.

Most recommendations here are just QoL fixes tbh, since I'm pretty happy with the current balance of this mod. Love it. Wish you the best and good luck with anything else you do!
oscarincage

Post by oscarincage »

Your weapon mod is the best so far, I love it! However there is still one little thing you should add to it. The possibility to disable weapon auto reloading. So when a weapon gets empty, only a clicking noise can be heard and the weapon must be reloaded by the reload button. Could you do that in the next update please? :lol:
I also realized that the pistol and the assault rifle can be reloaded manually after automatic reload. After auto reload, the pistol has 10 ammo, after manual it has 11. Assualt rifle has 30, then 31.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”