Hexen HD 2020 (Release)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Re: Hexen HD 2020 (Release)

Post by eharper256 »

Razumen wrote:
RafaHell wrote:So, I tried this with Walpurgis and it crashes GZDoom when trying to load a level (like after choosing your character).

Why could this be?
Considering Walpurgis crashes GZDoom on it's own, I'd say the problem rests there. I can't even tell what version it's meant to be played on, the
Huh, it shouldn't do. You will need GZDoom 4.5. If Walp is crashing on Mobile or LZDoom, not much I can do about that, because they tend to be behind the core GZ. Though if you make a bug report in my thread I'm more likely to notice lol.

The main thread of this notes that it is made for 4.3.3 GZDoom for whatever reason, so that would likely be your issue.
Last edited by eharper256 on Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndrewMRX
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by AndrewMRX »

HexenHD crashes when loaded with GZDoom 4.5.0.
Do you use a vulkan api?
RafaHell
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by RafaHell »

eharper256 wrote:
Razumen wrote:
RafaHell wrote:So, I tried this with Walpurgis and it crashes GZDoom when trying to load a level (like after choosing your character).

Why could this be?
Considering Walpurgis crashes GZDoom on it's own, I'd say the problem rests there. I can't even tell what version it's meant to be played on, the
Huh, it shouldn't do. You will need GZDoom 4.5. If Walp is crashing on Mobile or LZDoom, not much I can do about that, because they tend to be behind the core GZ. Though if you make a bug report in my thread I'm more likely to notice lol.

The main thread of this notes that it is made for 4.3.3 GZDoom for whatever reason, so that would likely be your issue.
I mentioned in later posts that I don't want to use HexenHD's "custom" GZDoom... I want to use my own 4.5.0 configuration with it with Walpurgis, ideally, but I suspect Walpurgis is meant for the latest GZDoom, is it not?
Anyway, I don't think Walp is the problem, as I get the same crash simply by loading HexenHD with GZDoom 4.5.0...
RafaHell

Post by RafaHell »

AndrewMRX wrote:
HexenHD crashes when loaded with GZDoom 4.5.0.
Do you use a vulkan api?
I use GZDoom's vulkan... Is that a problem?
AndrewMRX

Post by AndrewMRX »

yes. I dont know why HD doesn't work with Vulkan in 4.5.0 but it work in 4.3.3.
Use opengl. I will upload HexenHD for 4.5.0 soon, hd textures will work there.
HD is compatible with Walpurgis, but some little graphics bug(Warrior Axe). Some particles also work, but you need to set the correct file priority in ".bat" file.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

RafaHell wrote:I mentioned in later posts that I don't want to use HexenHD's "custom" GZDoom... I want to use my own 4.5.0 configuration with it with Walpurgis, ideally, but I suspect Walpurgis is meant for the latest GZDoom, is it not?
Anyway, I don't think Walp is the problem, as I get the same crash simply by loading HexenHD with GZDoom 4.5.0...
Yes, my Walp is made for 4.5. Indeed it shouldn't be a problem, lol. :lol: I was actually addressing Razumen in that post, as he was saying Walp was crashing regardless of his version of GZDoom. As I'm the Walpurgis creator it would be nice to know if he had issues so I can look into it.
AndrewMRX wrote:yes. I dont know why HD doesn't work with Vulkan in 4.5.0 but it work in 4.3.3.
Use opengl. I will upload HexenHD for 4.5.0 soon, hd textures will work there.
HD is compatible with Walpurgis, but some little graphics bug(Warrior Axe). Some particles also work, but you need to set the correct file priority in ".bat" file.
Indeed, make sure you load Walp after HD. You can also edit your GZDoom-(username).ini to choose your loadorder and I generally recommend that.

Damn axe, its always causing trouble. I should rename all its sprites I suppose, its usually some conlict with "FAXE" that causes aggro.
AndrewMRX

Post by AndrewMRX »

Update. Now you can play on GZv4.5.0 with full compatibility with Walpurgis and other gameplay mods.
RafaHell

Post by RafaHell »

Ok, I feel I need to update this issue, for I've (kinda) solved it:

I switched to OpenGL as @AndrewMRX said, and then Walpurgis and HexenHD work.

I overwrote my GZDoom files over the one provided, and it all worked (albeit with many errors).

However!: There seems to be some weird conflict with Walp+HexenHD that causes dead bodies, specifically of Maulotaurs, to comically blow up in size, so that you're left with a HUGE Maulotaur body blocking everything!...
theleo_ua
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by theleo_ua »

RafaHell wrote:Ok, I feel I need to update this issue, for I've (kinda) solved it:

I switched to OpenGL as @AndrewMRX said, and then Walpurgis and HexenHD work.

I overwrote my GZDoom files over the one provided, and it all worked (albeit with many errors).

However!: There seems to be some weird conflict with Walp+HexenHD that causes dead bodies, specifically of Maulotaurs, to comically blow up in size, so that you're left with a HUGE Maulotaur body blocking everything!...
As I know, the video memory overflow is still not fixed for vulkan, so if your HD mod require 3 GB of VRAM and you have only 2GB, GZDoom will crash.
AndrewMRX

Post by AndrewMRX »

Look in the head message. I posted a version for GZDoom 4.5.0 and a patch for compatibility. Walpurgis works fine.
RafaHell

Post by RafaHell »

Awesome, thank you!

Will give it a whirl and report anything weird.
Valken

Post by Valken »

@ AndrewMRX - can I ask what changes did you made to hexenremade.wad?

I am using your mod, Brutal Hexen and Hexen_Walpurgis-JT-0.92 in that order.

If we can merge all the classes as listed with Iron Tusk, I think I won't need to buy another RPG for a long time.

Just amazing.
Attachments
Screenshot_Hexen_20210211_195409.jpg
Colerx

Post by Colerx »

Looks stunning!!!
AndrewMRX

Post by AndrewMRX »

@ AndrewMRX - can I ask what changes did you made to hexenremade.wad?
"hexenremade.wad" contains maps, sprites, decoration scripts (actors).
"hexenremade-Effects-off.wad" contains maps, some sprites (trees, bushes).
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Outstanding work! I love the sense of atmosphere these effects bring to the game, it gives a real sense of place. One minor thing though, the hud/weapon graphics are still 4:3...any chance you'd consider incorporating this? viewtopic.php?f=46&t=59917

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”