[Raspberry Pi] GZDoom Issues "Megathread"

These bugs do plan to be resolved, when they can be.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Csonicgo

[Raspberry Pi] GZDoom Issues "Megathread"

Post by Csonicgo »

Hi, again.

I know Raspberry Pi line isn't officially supported, but I have begun to start using Raspberry Pi again, and noticed a lot of issues that may turn up in other ARM-based platforms. Since there are so many issues, it would take me forever to make all the threads for each one, so I'm making one giant thread and (at the very least) document some of these issues. I will attempt screenshots of these things as soon as I can. Most of these are cosmetic issues, as far as I can tell.

The latest commit in my repo I have compiled is d36ca650e3e4848398c54504bf4ab711010a5647. I have built the project in "Release" mode.

Booting from "Out of Box" settings does not work: GZDoom claims OpenGL 3.3 or higher is required to boot and exits, instead of cycling to "SoftPoly".

Selecting Poly mode crashes with a "Bus Error": I need to investigate this one in debug compile.

Software Mode: Texture Scaling causes decals to stretch vertically: the larger the scale size, the more the stretch. Probably a math issue that only occurs on ARM.

Software Mode: Particles in the distance "stretch" vertically: Could be related to the Texture Scaling issues, Probably a math issue that only occurs on ARM.

Software Mode: Any walls at straight degrees can warp and dance as the player turns: Seems to get worse as the resolution lowers. Probably a math issue.

Software Mode: Invisibility effect can cause intense slowdown of the playsim, practically unplayable with the powerup.

Vulkan Mode obviously does not work yet, when Vulkan mesa drivers are added to the Pi 4 I will test those. OpenGL mode is likely to never work since OpenGL 3.1 is no longer supported.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [Raspberry Pi] GZDoom Issues "Megathread"

Post by Rachael »

Vulkan drivers are already available, you have to install the latest Mesa though. You may have to build from source instead of using a package.
Csonicgo wrote:Since there are so many issues, it would take me forever to make all the threads for each one, so I'm making one giant thread and (at the very least) document some of these issues.

Be that as it may, that makes it extremely difficult to track and fix these issues. I know it's an inconvience for you, but trust me when I say it's worth it if you want to actually get any of these fixed, to post the issues separately as prescribed. In the interest of not losing information though I'm going to put this in the on-hold area.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Indeed. Threads like this are the best way to ensure that issues won't get fixed.
Regardless, as long as the platform does not support a graphics API that can make use of hardware acceleration I consider it unfeasible anyway.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Raspberry Pi does support both OpenGL and Vulkan - accelerated even, with the internal VideoCore chip - it's a BCM2177 - which like Intel chips functions both as a CPU and a GPU, likely separate parts of the die. However, in order to use Vulkan you A) Need to be on Linux (for now), and B) You must have the latest Mesa release downloaded and installed. I did not see any indication that the latest Raspberry OS release has the newest Mesa that is required to drive Vulkan for the BCM2177, as of yet, but I may have missed something. If that is the case then yes you must either find a package with a recent release or compile it yourself.

Return to “On Hold Bugs”