TDBots Mk2 - v1 (11/05/2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: TDBots: The fast-performing bots v26c (10/10/2020)

Post by TDRR »

shimotsuki_yumi wrote:Hello. I wanted to know if it is possible for bots to shoot down a cacodemon since it only approaches and closes its distance instead of killing it. Zdaemons' bots could do it but the bots here couldn't. Is there some configuration or additional files I need to download for this? Thanks
What source port and version are you using? Any mod patches used? In ZDoom without other patches this doesn't happen.
shimotsuki_yumi
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by shimotsuki_yumi »

TDRR wrote:
shimotsuki_yumi wrote:Hello. I wanted to know if it is possible for bots to shoot down a cacodemon since it only approaches and closes its distance instead of killing it. Zdaemons' bots could do it but the bots here couldn't. Is there some configuration or additional files I need to download for this? Thanks
What source port and version are you using? Any mod patches used? In ZDoom without other patches this doesn't happen.
GZDoom 4.4.2, also tested in LZDoom as well and the same issue occurred. No mods nor patches. Zandronum seems to work just fine, the bots were able to take down the cacodemons while they were in the air. I don't why this is only a problem in GZDoom
Dereliction

Post by Dereliction »

Hello there. Trying this out on Delta Touch on Android, and for some reason every time I tried to spawn in a bot, whether in coop or deathmatch, the same error always happens. "Couldn't spawn bot; no bot left in bots.cfg." I already had the Zcajun folder and bots.cfg file in both my gzdoom folder and directory. I don't think I'm missing anything crucial here? What else is going wrong?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just to be clear - your zcajun folder is in your gzdoom folder, and bots.cfg is inside the zcajun folder?

If so, that is the correct setup, but that message does normally occur when the above file/folder structure does not exist.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Dereliction wrote:Hello there. Trying this out on Delta Touch on Android, and for some reason every time I tried to spawn in a bot, whether in coop or deathmatch, the same error always happens. "Couldn't spawn bot; no bot left in bots.cfg." I already had the Zcajun folder and bots.cfg file in both my gzdoom folder and directory. I don't think I'm missing anything crucial here? What else is going wrong?
Apparently, the way to install bots changed in an update, as now it needs to be in:
OpenTouch/Delta/user_files/bots/bots.cfg
And you might wonder how the heck I figured out the path... well, I didn't. This version already came with the bots.cfg from the TDBots, spooky right? It looks like that didn't happen for all devices, but on the ones I can test it seems to be the case from a clean install.

What Enjay said used to be true for android too, to be clear, but that's what got changed.
Dereliction

Post by Dereliction »

Hi there. Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the late reply. Anyway, regarding what Enjay said, yes I did try putting the zcajun folder in my gzdoom folder and also have bots.cfg inside as well, and it still didn't work. I also tried actually making a new user_files folder, putting the zcajun folder in there and then renaming it to bots, and... it still didn't work. I dunno, maybe it's just Delta Touch itself not working with this mod, but oh well. It's not really the end of the world if I can't get to try these bots out. Still, what a shame.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Dereliction wrote:Hi there. Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the late reply. Anyway, regarding what Enjay said, yes I did try putting the zcajun folder in my gzdoom folder and also have bots.cfg inside as well, and it still didn't work. I also tried actually making a new user_files folder, putting the zcajun folder in there and then renaming it to bots, and... it still didn't work. I dunno, maybe it's just Delta Touch itself not working with this mod, but oh well. It's not really the end of the world if I can't get to try these bots out. Still, what a shame.
Works perfect for me. Are you sure you're using the latest PlayStore versión?
You can run the Zandronum version in Zandronum without a bots.cfg, if you're still willing to try then out.
Josh_7774

Post by Josh_7774 »

TDDR, what do you think about the idea of having a Quake 3 style chat system for the TDBots?

And also the idea of allowing for unique chat lumps to be defined for each individual bot instead of being limited to only one that all of the bots share a chat lump with?
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Josh_7774 wrote:TDDR, what do you think about the idea of having a Quake 3 style chat system for the TDBots?

And also the idea of allowing for unique chat lumps to be defined for each individual bot instead of being limited to only one that all of the bots share a chat lump with?
As cool as that idea is, it'd need two entirely different implementations for Zandronum and GZDoom. Not only that, but the Zandronum version is highly costly on performance and overall not really worth the effort there.

If anyone implements it as a ZScript addition then I'll gladly add it to the GZDoom version, though, but I'm not well versed in the language myself and don't plan to learn to make such a system on my own (out of every 10 times I play Doom, 0 are in GZDoom/LZDoom).

Also, giving each bot it's own chat lump is easily doable for both ports just using a language lump, but I don't have enough ideas to fill out 32 of them. Might add the support for it, however.
Josh_7774

Post by Josh_7774 »

As cool as that idea is, it'd need two entirely different implementations for Zandronum and GZDoom. Not only that, but the Zandronum version is highly costly on performance and overall not really worth the effort there.
That is something I find a bit surprising because I thought ZDoom and GZDoom would have performance issues due to not being able to turn the severely outdated ZCajun bot AI off so the TDBot AI does 100% of all the inputs.

Though that could very likely be an extremely easy thing to remedy if developers of both ports implemented some sort of CVAR that toggles the ZCajun AI on or off.
If anyone implements it as a ZScript addition then I'll gladly add it to the GZDoom version, though, but I'm not well versed in the language myself and don't plan to learn to make such a system on my own (out of every 10 times I play Doom, 0 are in GZDoom/LZDoom).
I'm the same way. I like the multiplayer aspect of Zandronum compared to (G)ZDoom's somewhat unfinished multiplayer mode (the latters would always enter some sort of weird fatal crash when you exited a game while there were bots in it).

But as I remember you saying before, compatibility with multiple source ports is one of the main goals that the TDBots must be able to achieve, which is completely understandable.
Also, giving each bot it's own chat lump is easily doable for both ports just using a language lump, but I don't have enough ideas to fill out 32 of them. Might add the support for it, however.
Zandronum supported individual chat lumps for every bot (even Skulltag), although the chat system for Zandronum bots is somewhat limited.

You could add a decent amount of quotes based on the scenario the Zandronum bot was in (got fragged, got a frag, roaming strings, rare roaming strings, intro strings when it joins a game, etc.).

But it's system was rather lacking in supporting more quotes for certain scenarios (such as killing self by mistake, dying by lava, fire, water, falling, disintegration, being hit while in the process of chatting out a quote, getting hit or killed by specific weapons, etc.)

Although it would require typing out the functions for each scenario, it likely shouldn't break compatibility with multiple source ports.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Josh_7774 wrote:That is something I find a bit surprising because I thought ZDoom and GZDoom would have performance issues due to not being able to turn the severely outdated ZCajun bot AI off so the TDBot AI does 100% of all the inputs.

Though that could very likely be an extremely easy thing to remedy if developers of both ports implemented some sort of CVAR that toggles the ZCajun AI on or off.
I wish there was a CVAR for that. I'm gonna make the feature suggestion, but given how the ZCajun bot code has been nearly 2 decades with barely any changes, I'm doubtful they'd add such a thing simply because some guy asked it for his mod.

The performance drain comes from something I'll explain a little later.
Josh_7774 wrote:I'm the same way. I like the multiplayer aspect of Zandronum compared to (G)ZDoom's somewhat unfinished multiplayer mode (the latters would always enter some sort of weird fatal crash when you exited a game while there were bots in it).

But as I remember you saying before, compatibility with multiple source ports is one of the main goals that the TDBots must be able to achieve, which is completely understandable.
I don't really play Zandronum because of the multiplayer aspect (that's part of it, though), but mostly because GZDoom has a little too steep requirements for my laptop, and even LZDoom runs very clearly slower than Zandronum (playable compared to GZDoom, but why bother?).

Adding it as a ZScript thing wouldn't break compatibility with Zandronum, so I wouldn't mind all that much. I'm just not gonna write it myself.
Josh_7774 wrote:Zandronum supported individual chat lumps for every bot (even Skulltag), although the chat system for Zandronum bots is somewhat limited.

You could add a decent amount of quotes based on the scenario the Zandronum bot was in (got fragged, got a frag, roaming strings, rare roaming strings, intro strings when it joins a game, etc.).

But it's system was rather lacking in supporting more quotes for certain scenarios (such as killing self by mistake, dying by lava, fire, water, falling, disintegration, being hit while in the process of chatting out a quote, getting hit or killed by specific weapons, etc.)

Although it would require typing out the functions for each scenario, it likely shouldn't break compatibility with multiple source ports.
I'm aware of this feature, and that's what really drains performance with the Zandronum bots. I don't know if it's just poorly implemented or whatever, but it's insanely slow on my laptop, to the point where 4 bots bring the framerate down to 40fps~ from 130fps. Most people don't notice this because they're not running potatoes, but yeah.

I'm pretty sure there was some support for quotes that only show up if someone uses a weapon too much, but it never got implemented in the included bot scripts since, well, it requires recompiling them and the original compiler was lost. I recall seeing a line about being killed too much by the BFG in Crash's script, I believe (she also was the chattiest of the bots, having responses to certain messages! And some weird lore about her having a crush on another guy, lol).
TDRR

Re: TDBots v27: The "we're one" update!

Post by TDRR »

Well, I guess it's time to update the TDBots. I don't think the last update was too long ago, I mean, how much time could've pass- HOLY CRAP IT'S BEEN 9 MONTHS?!

Okay okay, maybe it's been a while, but to compensate for that, this update finally marks the day where both the GZDoom and Zandronum version have feature-parity...
...which also means that the TDBots in Zandronum are now infinitely superior to when they're used in GZDoom, so there's hardly any reason to even use them in GZDoom besides for mods/mapsets that aren't compatible with Zandronum, unfortunately.

Here's the full changelog from v26c:
-Merged both the GZDoom and Zandronum version into one, so now Zandronum players can play using the normal version.
(The bots still work much better in Zandronum vs GZDoom, please use it if you can)

-Bots will no longer shoot neither friendly monsters nor players in co-op, and
they also won't shoot players in their own team
(in team-based modes).
Yes, for real this time, and it works in Zandronum too.

-Bots can now follow players in Zandronum too, and they'll pick the closest
player to follow online.

-Bots now switch between weapons they have in vanilla.

-tdbots_usenodes no longer needs to be enabled for following the player, or
learning the map.

-Slightly cleaned up the TDBot_Main script (less duplicate code).

-Removed the ability for bots to seek items. The only place where this was
even remotely useful, was in bot-only matches, other than that the
map learning renders it obsolete, and it stops bots from eating up your
ammo in co-op. This change was done as it was the only feature left that
the Zandronum version didn't have, and it wasn't worth keeping the split.

Download link in the first post, as always.
guest6777
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: TDBots: The fast-performing bots v27 (25/01/2021)

Post by guest6777 »

Can you make patch works on Zdoom Wars?
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

guest6777 wrote:Can you make patch works on Zdoom Wars?
Maybe. Which one specifically? ZDWars 1 or 2? If you got a link that'd be cool.
guest6777
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by guest6777 »

TDRR wrote:
guest6777 wrote:Can you make patch works on Zdoom Wars?
Maybe. Which one specifically? ZDWars 1 or 2? If you got a link that'd be cool.
Zdoom Wars v3.15d

Return to “Gameplay Mods”