Semi-Universal Raven Patch! Updated 16/03/21!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Semi-Universal Raven Patch! Updated 16/03/21!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Are you like me, a guy who loves not only Doom, but also Heretic and Hexen? Have you ever wanted SO BAD to play your favorite gameplay mods with these Raven games, but there isn't a patch for them avaiable?

Well... look no further! I did something based on my Heretic/Hexen patches for my mods, and came up with the idea of expanding them to a wider area.

Keep in mind a few things:
- This is not the first time somebody does that! There are other mini mods that do the same, and probably better than me!

- Mods with Custom Color palettes, paletized sprites or custom Enemies might not work 100% or not work at all; I can't help too much if that's the case.

- Sometimes mods which don't replace HUDs might not display ammo values or anything. To help that, i've provided a generic HUD separated from the patch, so, load it together and game on!

WHICH MODS WORK WITH THIS, THEN?

Good you asked! We have OVER 50 MODS working with it! Here's a quick list:
Spoiler:
Hellrider by Endie/Moa Dixon with Hexen

Meatgrinder by Sgt. Mark IV with Heretic (and our custom HUD!)

Load this after your desired gameplay mod.

Feel free to bring feedback, and i hope you have fun with this!

DOWNLOAD ME NOW!
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Semi-Universal Raven Patch!

Post by TiberiumSoul »

AAAAAAAAAAA my mod is on the list! YESSSS!!!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Thank god Raven games are getting more extra medieval love!! Thanks for including the whopping 50 mod compatibilities. Thou art doing superbly great!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Indeed! Just discovered that GMOTA by Combine Kegan also works!

Thanks to GoldenMobster72 ;)
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Angled Doom is there on the list! Yes! You know how to make me happy, Doc! Now i really have to try it on Raven games as well!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Indeed! Just discovered that GMOTA by Combine Kegan also works!

Thanks to GoldenMobster72 ;)
For the most part, it does seem to work just fine, but I noticed a few issues through a quick playthrough:

1) The Undead Warrior is replaced by an Archer enemy (which is fine), but when you kill it, it gets stuck in its dying animation rather than lying on the ground (which is not so fine).

2) The Torch item does not properly spawn; instead, it is replaced by a diamond icon with an exclamation mark.

3) I get error messages such as the following: "Unknown item class CBADN1 to drop from random spawner" "Unknown item class DBWPSP1 to drop from random spawner"

Otherwise, good job!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Well, thanks for specifying, then i will alert in the list that it has some errors!
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

i gotta say. this is pretty cool. but 1 issue i discovered was that, the flecette things. don't worklike the should. like you can pick'em up. but not use'em
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Check out your "inventory use/activate" bound key in the "customize controls" options :)
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Check out your "inventory use/activate" bound key in the "customize controls" options :)
i did, and it didn't work. and buttons are set & everything. i tried other inventory things, and they worked. even from the Typhoon mod. but the flecette's don't work at all
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

About the flechettes, normally in Hexen, they are encompassed by a super class (ArtiPoisonBagGiver) which lets the player class decide via MissileType property which one to actually give on pickup. It is for this reason that there's a "useflechette" command in addition to regular quick use hotkeys.

If you want to spawn each of them independent of playerclass, I suggest a simple RandomSpawner.

The types are as follows:

ArtiPoisonBag1 = Cleric's Poisoncloud
ArtiPoisonBag2 = Mage's Timebomb (like the ones in Heretic)
ArtiPoisonBag3 = Fighter's Grenade
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

MrRumbleRoses wrote:
Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Check out your "inventory use/activate" bound key in the "customize controls" options :)
i did, and it didn't work. and buttons are set & everything. i tried other inventory things, and they worked. even from the Typhoon mod. but the flecette's don't work at all
Which mod you're playing this with? Because i can throw them with some mods.
StroggVorbis wrote:About the flechettes, normally in Hexen, they are encompassed by a super class (ArtiPoisonBagGiver) which lets the player class decide via MissileType property which one to actually give on pickup. It is for this reason that there's a "useflechette" command in addition to regular quick use hotkeys.

If you want to spawn each of them independent of playerclass, I suggest a simple RandomSpawner.

The types are as follows:

ArtiPoisonBag1 = Cleric's Poisoncloud
ArtiPoisonBag2 = Mage's Timebomb (like the ones in Heretic)
ArtiPoisonBag3 = Fighter's Grenade
I will try this out at home :)
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

well there was quite a few, but one mod was what i mentioned, was the Typhon mod. and i know it's not the inventory issue, cause i can be able to use the other thing she has in her bag of stuff just fine. but the flechette's can't be used
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

i have only 2 problems in Heretic

1. (Angled Doom) some weapons are invisible and i cant see them
2a. (Hellrider) Character's voice is different
2b. Ofc theres no Key list in the hud
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Well, thanks for specifying, then i will alert in the list that it has some errors!
I think I now see the problem with the Archer Trooper's death animation: it seems to share the same spriteset naming pattern ("KNIG") as Heretic's Undead Knight. I opened GMOTA.pk3 and renamed all Archer Trooper sprites from KNIG* to KNIA* and then updated every line in Knight Archer.txt accordingly:
Spoiler:
Now Heretic's Undead Knight spawns properly and displays the proper death animation!

You also seem to have forgotten to add a replacer for Heretic's Torch, so I tried adding the following line to DECORATE under the "// Artifacts (Heretic and Hexen)" section:
Spoiler:
Doom's Infrared item spawns instead of the Missing Item icon.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”