[minimod][v1.6.2] Autoautosave

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eviltechno

Re: [minimod][v1.4.2] Autoautosave

Post by eviltechno »

Josko wrote:When I play I always type " resurrect " in the console to revive myself if I die, I always thought it was kind of the same thing as constantly saving.

But having the game constantly auto saving all the time, isn't it a bit cheating? Dying really has no consequense, might aswell go godmode lol.
IMO resurrect is exactly the same as godmode. Just that you have to type something. Quicksaving was in games since forever :)
saibog
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by saibog »

hi. there may be a bug in [autoautosave version 1.4.2]. for mapsets with many monsters, when autosaving every 10 seconds for speedruns, the message [new active enemies] is displayed repetitively and endlessly. perhaps the message suppressing mechanism in autoautosave may be broken (eg. identical messages below x seconds between them should not be displayed, but still appears due to the bug)? is it possible to fix this, please? the info below may be useful:

settings:
Spoiler:
please let me know if you need any more info. many thanks in advance and happy new year!
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

My gut feeling tells me the error lies with Brutal Doom.
saibog
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by saibog »

StroggVorbis wrote:My gut feeling tells me the error lies with Brutal Doom.
hi again. i removed brutal doom as per your suggestion, and autoautosave worked. you are right. many thanks for pinpointing the issue.

edit: just for info, i confirmed autoautosave 1.4.2 is not compatible with the latest brutal doom 21.7.0. after some digging, most probably because of the +ISMONSTER tag being used by brutal doom to tag objects which are not monsters. autoautosave was also mentioned.

source=viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60436&start=90
see timestamp=Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 pm
Spoiler:
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Welp. Don't use "New active enemies" event with Brutal Doom and other mods that mark non-monster things as monsters, I guess.
onContentStop

Post by onContentStop »

I found something odd. The 'Time passed' event triggers even when dead, wiping all my autosaves if I leave the computer for a while.
m8f

Post by m8f »

Thanks for reporting! Added an issue so I don't forget to fix it.
onContentStop

Post by onContentStop »

m8f wrote:Thanks for reporting! Added an issue so I don't forget to fix it.
Thanks. I found a band-aid for now, just setting m8f_aas_health_limit to 1 prevents the issue.
boris225

Post by boris225 »

Can you do an option for an autosave before exiting the level? when you play with randomized mods autosave on the start of a level can get borring because everything is still the same when you load the level and level reseting can be annoying
m8f

Post by m8f »

Can you please explain how saving before exiting the level would help in this situation?

Also, what do you mean by "level resetting can be annoying"? It's super quick, just bind "changemap *" to a key. It keeps your weapons and restarts the level.
boris225

Post by boris225 »

i mean that when playing with randomized mods having to kill the exact same enemys over and over without any change because of the autosave can get a bit annoying because whats the fun of a randomizer if it doesnt randomize?
so i was thinking like you always get to a trigger or touch a button or kill a boss to change map and i was hoping that at the start of such trigger it sets a quicksave before the next level loads so when you start the level its always like your first time in that case a brand new set of enemys instead of saving at the start of a level and getting the same rolls over and over
boris225

Post by boris225 »

boris225 wrote: so i was thinking like you always get to a trigger or touch a button or kill a boss to change map and i was hoping that at the start of such trigger it sets a quicksave before the next level loads so when you start the level its always like your first time in that case a brand new set of enemys instead of saving at the start of a level and getting the same rolls over and over
wait i tested it and welp it doesnt work rip also im playing with corruption cards and i dont like every time i die i get to do the same cards again and if i do the changelevel it adds to the counter
Rexen
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Home

Post by Rexen »

That's because corruption cards has its only random seed that it uses. This mod is not to blame. Heck there's even an option to set the seed in the corruption cards options. This was most likely done so people can do races and stuff like that were having the same seed matters.
FirestarJes

Post by FirestarJes »

Love this mod.

I would like to ask if it is possible to have it automatically save at level start in another slot but the autosave slots?
m8f

Post by m8f »

Thanks!

Nope, I cannot control to what slot the game saves.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”