Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.2.1]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Smooth Weapons Enhanced [v3.2.1]

Post by Xtyfe »

Nash wrote:@NightFright:

I have been playing with a personal fork of this mod that adds the following:

- screen recoil FX (purely camera-only; it does not physically alter the player's pitch. Utilizes bleeding edge ViewAngles feature of GZDoom to achieve this)
- bullet casings (all-new not-seen-anywhere sprites and sounds made by me)
- true 3D cone for hitscans (meaning when you look straight up/down and fire the shotgun/SSG, the bullets actually spread correctly, instead of just being a single straight line. Same goes for the pistol and chaingun; the spread is true 3D)
- visible bullet tracers (using a model; therefore not compatible with the software renderer)
- enhanced bullet ricochet effects (the vanilla puff is unaltered; I just spawn extra effects for the ricochet. These effects are surface-normal-aware; they align to the flat/wall angle. Uses models, won't work in software)
- floor/ceiling bullet holes and scorch marks for the rocket, plasma and BFG (again, uses models; won't work in software)
- dynamic blood stains on chainsaw - monster blood color-aware! The blood stains are universally compatible with any blood color, the stains dynamically change color depending on what was sawed
- also manually merged in m8f's "fire at crosshair" feature

These are my personal tweaks that I enjoy playing with, but keeping in mind with the original concept of the mod that they must fit the vanilla aesthetics. And IMO I've achieved that.

I'm unsure if you have any interest in having these in the main mod. If you are, I can merged them in, of course with all of them disabled by default. Though there is one catch:

It's either all or none. Since these are my own personal tweaks, I will not go through the trouble of selectively adding one or two features for the sake of other peoples' convenience. It's quite a bit of work to code these in the first place and I simply have no energy to separate each part out individually. Either take them all or reject them entirely.

And again, as I said, if you want these in the main mod, they will be disabled by default so they don't even exist to the first-time user. :)

Thoughts?
Hey Nash, would you ever release these as is? I'd be interested in them being alongside this mod even if only unofficially
Nash

Post by Nash »

I have every intention to release it. :) Currently the changes are only done locally; I have not pushed them to NightFright's repo yet because they're not at a level of polish I am satisfied with yet and I don't want anyone prematurely using them (as once it's out in the wild; it's out of my control).

The enhancements will come - just give me time. Currently I'm very busy with several different projects, as well as coping with some health problems very recently which severely limits the amount of time I get to spend on computer activities.
Assassin of Purity
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Assassin of Purity »

Doesn't work on Zandronum anymore. What did you do???
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them

Post by wildweasel »

Assassin of Purity wrote:Doesn't work on Zandronum anymore. What did you do???
What doesn't work about it? Do you get a message?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

If Zandronum is not on the same code level as GZDoom 4.3.0, it might not work, indeed. But you should have noticed that a while ago already, then.

Zandronum hasn't been updated in the last three years. Last mod version that might load is v2.0, before we switched to ZScript. There's no chance we are going back to a non-ZScript release, it's a one-way road.
Assassin of Purity

NightFright wrote:If Zandronum is not on the same code level as GZDoom 4.3.0, it might not work, indeed. But you should have noticed that a while ago already, then.

Zandronum hasn't been updated in the last three years. Last mod version that might load is v2.0, before we switched to ZScript. There's no chance we are going back to a non-ZScript release, it's a one-way road.
Why use ZScript? These are smooth weapon animations. What did you add that requires ZScript?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Zscript makes a lot of customization options much cleaner and easier to implement. People often clamor for tweaks and options in their weapon mods. Providing that stuff in-game through Zscript keeps things way easier to support and maintain, and means you don't have to juggle 5+ different wads for one mod like in the olden days!
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Yepp. And there are a lot of convenience features like stuff you can toggle on-the-fly through the menu for which you had to mess with config files before or even load a different mod version. So yeah, if you are using Zandronum only, you will be stuck with mod version v2.0, unfortunately.
Assassin of Purity

Gifty wrote:Zscript makes a lot of customization options much cleaner and easier to implement. People often clamor for tweaks and options in their weapon mods. Providing that stuff in-game through Zscript keeps things way easier to support and maintain, and means you don't have to juggle 5+ different wads for one mod like in the olden days!
I don't mind having two versions that are separate that work on a specific source port. It's better than not having a version of the mod for that source port at all. :)

Aren't there Zandronum mods that have options for changes such as Samsara Extra Heroes? In a menu found there you can choose to be Gordon or Adrian Shephard, they have different weapons, and of course different arms. They're even 3D. You can choose to have the mission packs version of Wolf 3D's weapons. You can even choose to turn smooth weapons for the Doom Marine on or off. The settings in the menus are set up well.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I really don't think there will be a Zandronum version of any 3.x release. It basically became a GZD-only thing with the introduction of ZScript. We cannot make it right for everybody.
Assassin of Purity

NightFright wrote:I really don't think there will be a Zandronum version of any 3.x release. It basically became a GZD-only thing with the introduction of ZScript. We cannot make it right for everybody.
Don't tell me Zandronum will die just because of ZScript. Aren't source ports to play Doom with?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Write to the Zandronum authors to update their port. That's all the advice I can give you.
Assassin of Purity

NightFright wrote:Write to the Zandronum authors to update their port. That's all the advice I can give you.
Well Zandronum has a lot of its own mods. There's even smooth weapon animation mods for it, so no problem really. There's still the old version of your animation mod here.
BerserkerNoir
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BerserkerNoir »

My favorite to play smooth vanilla without all the other stuff that other mods have.
Made a Neural Upscale for it.
For Anyone interested, here.
Google Drive
acridAxid

Post by acridAxid »

I have a sudden need for a version thats compatible with LZDoom. If I'm reading correctly, that's 2.0. I thought I had it, but I guess I tidied up my archives without considering the compatibility issue. Does anyone have a copy of that laying around?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”