Compendium - Classic Megawad Compilation

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
dmslr

Re: Compendium - Classic Megawad Compilation

Post by dmslr »

I noticed that there are some minor changes like liquid splashes. How can I delete all custom stuff? And I think these changes could be included in the second file not in the main one.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

dmslr wrote:How can I delete all custom stuff?
I think all you need to do is either comment out the relevant bits in TERRAIN.txt or just delete the file entirely (some of the liquids are originally from the mappacks featured, such as Daedalus if memory serves).
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Tho i'm bumping this thread kinda late, but i've got some feedback to share: Smoke terrain splash effect is rather large and would cover up the screen and in 2nd map of Slipgate(SLP02), the switch room where the Berserk is does not activate the mission 2 script and thus would not open up the door to the place you should progress on, softlocking the game.
RafaHell
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by RafaHell »

@Dynamo: Hi. I've played through all of the included wads (skipping those I'd already finished) and enjoyed every pixel of it, and I just wanna know:

Is this it?
I know you've answered this question before, but I just want to ask for an updated answer: Any plans to continue and add a few more WADs and tweaks here n' there, or are you done with this?

Since I'm here allow me to express some tweaks I'd like to see (I know, some've been mentioned before):

- A menu to manually select the WADs. Current way is fine, but slightly tedious. Otherwise:
- Different rooms separated by year, containing year-appropriate WADs. The small beginning ubmap could contain gates to different years, instead of the WiP gates that I feel are... unnecessary...
- Add complementary mods specific to certain WADs, if applicable, like for example the rain patch for TVR!, and the TVR midi patch author name popups for that same WAD.
- Replace og soundtrack with Xeotroid's soundtracks, where applicable, being that they are all excellent and extremely respectful of the originals. They elevate the respective WADs without trampling over the work done on the og soundtrack. (Memento Mori I & II, Requiem, Icarus).
- Add WAD authors' name to the splashscreens, or some kind of popup. Otherwise:
- An accompanying text document with info on each WAD, for those of us who like to know who, what, where, when and how WADs were made. Especially considering there are some super obscurities in here (Mancubus!)...

Anyway, love the product as it is, so, yeah, feel free to ignore this nobody on the internet.
PokeParty445
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by PokeParty445 »

Very nicely made collection, I plan on playing through it a lot more to get some more megawads down my belt lmao.

The only functional bug I've found is that Project:Slipgate's MAP02 seems completely unbeatable? The button to power the door just...doesn't seem to work. Using gzdoom 4.5 with no other addons, the most recent stable version of it as of writing this, the button to power the door doesn't work. However loading the wad independently, with no other addons, it works just fine.

If I could make any other personal suggestions, maybe some way to tell how many maps each mappack has. As it is right now I can look them up and find the number, but having it somewhere in the hub would be nice.
Vague

Post by Vague »

bit of a texture misalignment in the hubworld
Attachments
Copendium, look at the "p".
Copendium, look at the "p".
Shooting Gallery door, look at text
Shooting Gallery door, look at text
Linz

Post by Linz »

Say,what's the track used for the shooting range
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

This is a fantastic idea, and the amount of classic WADs available is staggering.

Only thing that kind botherd me is how some of them, such as All Hell is Breaking Lose and Obituary, doesn't include the custom content such as the weapons. Doesn't feel the same without it.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I guess to be mod friendly. I noticed they kept in some of the custom monsters though, like Strain's mutants and the scientist from... Uh.. The Scientist. That was a nice touch and appreciate the effort.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Which brings me to the point that some of these aren't technically megawads but rather partial or total conversions. Such as the case with the ones I mentioned.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Hi,

I didn't know whether or not to make a new thread about this or not, but I've created a map order randomizer for this pack. I've wanted to make something like this for a while but needed a collection of maps large enough to warrant it. It uses zscript (though it could be done in ACS with some mucking about). There are currently two modes to this in the options.
  • Generate 32 maps using all of the map packs in the wad, using the map number order appropriately. For example, you won't get a megawad's map30 on map 2.
  • Fully random mode, which is endless and doesn't respect the map numbers.
I've also made it so you can toggle on and off which megawads to use. By default Doom 2 and Cyberdreams is disabled. Daedelus and Hell Factory are completely removed from the generation since they use hubmap stuff. I think those are the only one that could potentially screw up the map order. Cyberdreams, though I love it, seems a bit off to include in something like this due to the gimmick nature of the megawad. I there's any others you think I should exclude by default, let me know.

To start, just start a new game and choose Compendium. It will start up automatically.

Download: https://cutstuff.net/public/compendiumr ... _beta0.pk3

Edit: Also if there's any other compilation wads like this that could warrant a randomizer like this, let me know.
Someonewhoplaysdoom

Post by Someonewhoplaysdoom »

CeeJay wrote:Which brings me to the point that some of these aren't technically megawads but rather partial or total conversions. Such as the case with the ones I mentioned.
As dynamo stated on the main page, the maps (Since there's between megawad scale maps and episode replacements) are adapted to be mod-friendly in general, allowing you to play with your favourite gameplay mod on maps that normally aren't compatible since the custom content. Obviously is negative if you wanted to play these PC/TC with his original content, but is still helpful for having continuity on different map packs on a really large gameplay mod playthrough, or for simply enjoy the customized designs of these maps.

On the other side, I'm not a Modder o designer and I know nothing about Doom scripting. But, since these classic total and partial conversions points to replace base weapons and monsters, putting these projects in a huge compilation could had a lot of compatibility Issues based on dealing with multiple redesings of a same entity, or with replacing the vainilla content on the maps that aren't projects of these kinds.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

All the image links on the OP appear to be broken. :?
Treyevers
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Treyevers »

The images on the OP are not only broken, likely due to the site that was hosting them being bust, but they also cause my antivirus to get alerted. specifically about an attempted outward connection to "i.cubeupload.com"
if the OP is still active, I ask to replace the broken images or just edit them out. because I have no idea if this harmful and either way, its just sitting there with no images.
rautamiekka
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by rautamiekka »

Treyevers wrote:The images on the OP are not only broken, likely due to the site that was hosting them being bust, but they also cause my antivirus to get alerted. specifically about an attempted outward connection to "i.cubeupload.com"
if the OP is still active, I ask to replace the broken images or just edit them out. because I have no idea if this harmful and either way, its just sitting there with no images.
Amen to that. Personally been using the free tier of Imgur, but I dunno what their long-term limitations are.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”