The 2020 Cacowards

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

The 2020 Cacowards

Post by Kinsie »

The 2020 Cacowards are live!

Lot of GZDoom reppin' this year, congrats to everyone who got a gong! Even the poor bastards who got one of my semi-coherent writeups.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: The 2020 Cacowards

Post by Rachael »

Definitely some well-deserved mentions in this one.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I never thought I'd see a map that brings down my computer by its sheer size - but this year two of that kind got awarded. I have to wonder - can anyone play them at decent frame rates?
Misery

Post by Misery »

Are any new December maps still able to be considered?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The Cacowards are done, so, no.
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Maybe for next year's one?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

PlayerLin wrote:Maybe for next year's one?
That has been the tradition. When a map is released in December it's eligible for the following year's Cacowards.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Even November is considered to be part of next year's Cacowards.
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Graf Zahl wrote:I never thought I'd see a map that brings down my computer by its sheer size - but this year two of that kind got awarded. I have to wonder - can anyone play them at decent frame rates?
I also had a hard time running Bastion of Chaos. Then again, I think we have the same specs.
Misery

Post by Misery »

Oh well. It's not like my little blimp of a map would actually matter, but it would be fun to try. I would be better off tryin' to do one of those Remake maps some people like. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to remake Plutonia.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Misery wrote:I wonder if anyone has ever tried to remake Plutonia.
Funny enough, I actually hated the remaster of Doom Raider. The original is perfect in every way, but the remaster added pointless visual flair and unneeded additional level elements. I still play the oriignal Doom Raider on occasion, but I can't see myself ever returning to the remaster.
Misery

Post by Misery »

Scuba Steve wrote: Funny enough, I actually hated the remaster of Doom Raider. The original is perfect in every way, but the remaster added pointless visual flair and unneeded additional level elements. I still play the oriignal Doom Raider on occasion, but I can't see myself ever returning to the remaster.
I was thinkin' of somethin' more like a simple map/difficulty update. The original maps are, well, the original. But as far as the look of the maps, they're boring. They're very square and bare compared to maps today, and I like the maps of today. Maybe with my level of Doomin', I can do an update, but one that isn't too much. Maybe a little more variation in texture, a few more enemy types 'cause Doom has so many good custom enemies in my opinion, and if I am able to make the custom monster I want I can use that to showcase it, and utilize things like slopes and three dee floors.

Maybe I should post the idea, and see if anyone likes it. Maybe I'll redo the first level first, so I have somethin' to showcase.
sirudoom

Post by sirudoom »

whats a good wad this year that is less about shooting and more about platforming?
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

This pandemic year really was quite the year of technical breakthroughs - From a special edition to Dehacked to Arbitrary code execution and more. I am also pleased to see that some rather brilliant looking maps were done through GZDoom, highlighting that the newer, cutting edge features of said port are slowly turning up in achieving Cacowards (and still retain very much their Doom heritage).

And well.. i have congratulated most in this post here, so it does not need any repetition.

Personally, it makes me happy seeing kgsws return (Creator of KGZDoom) and Quasar winning an Espi Award and a lot of combined community talent being recognized this year around. Very few seem to be actually missed.

And the little personal recognition from Not Jabba was a unexpected surprise (on a GZDoom map, no less!). Overall, its been only a year, but whether its here on ZDoom, or there on DoomWorld - There have been so many helpful and warm personalities along the way.

So this one is also for you, Community members. From Phantombeta to Enjay to Graf, mj, Gez, Rachael, Nash, Weasel, Cali, Martin Howe and more - Thank you all for bringing a lot of joy in a world where joy unfortunately had to take a backseat. Thank you all for pouring out each individuals talents on the daily. You deserve it. 8-)
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Gez wrote:Even November is considered to be part of next year's Cacowards.
Things were cut-off in mid-November this year. I think on the 15th or so?

The 2021 Mentionation Thread is up over at Doomworld, if you have an account there it's a great way to ensure we remember stuff come year's end.

Return to “Off-Topic”