<WIP> Doom II Superficial Update

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

<WIP> Doom II Superficial Update

Post by SLON »

This addon is not a replacement for IWAD and cannot be (firstly technically) used in this role.

Old description (to be honest, it sucks, but I decided to keep it for history):
Spoiler:
Screenshots (slightly outdated):
Spoiler:

Download last Demo: (for Doom II)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11An06A ... sp=sharing

Work is guaranteed only on (G)ZDoom and compatible ports (such as k8Vavoom).
This is still a raw version, so there may be some errors, flaws, etc.

Map 13 gameplay with Nightshift:

Last edited by SLON on Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 15 times in total.
AlphaSoraKun
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Doom II Updated (WIP)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

Based on the screenshots. I think you're putting a lot of effort into this!
SLON

Re: Doom II Updated (WIP)

Post by SLON »

Demo is released, link (and description) in the first post.
SLON

Re: Doom II Updated (Demo Released)

Post by SLON »

If someone, well, suddenly, wants to get a test version of this, write to me in the PM. I will not post a public link because of the theoretically possible emergence of theoretical problems with copyrights.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Doom II Updated (Demo Released)

Post by wildweasel »

SLON wrote:If someone, well, suddenly, wants to get a test version of this, write to me in the PM. I will not post a public link because of the theoretically possible emergence of theoretical problems with copyrights.
Modified Doom 2 levels are okay to distribute as long as the result requires Doom 2 to run. You should be fine.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Doom II Updated (Demo Exist)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I've downloaded this before the links got removed (and because you referenced this in Nightshift), played around and i feel i should say i loved the subtle changes; the urban maps are WAY more satisfying to play and the new textures change the entire look of it.

I specially like to use this with the BD Map Enhancement system, because nothing gets lost and the maps get a whole new life without any loss in performance or content.

I did recommend this mapset to some friends. Please don't give up on it :)
SLON

Post by SLON »

Well, I think there will be an open release soon. In particular, the textures are rearranged inside pk3 to work adequately in the zdoom, some have been replaced, and all the rest on trifles. Again, this was conceived as an improvement to an existing, so do not be surprised that some levels will be greatly changed, while others will only be slightly.

It is worth noting that initially I thought to add more alpha-beta content, like "the blob" enemies, but, frankly, I do not find a place for them.
And in general, it seems that the classic doom franchise did not achieve what we wanted, in particular, apparently there should have been more "natural" maps with caves, waterfalls and other things (something in the spirit of Alien Vendetta Map 08), ice caves, etc. Well, that's just by the way.
SLON

Post by SLON »

Creating now mapinfo, I once again drew attention to the original texts of Doom 2, and once again I think that they were written by some dude who himself did not know what he was dealing with. It looks more like a plot of something in between Aliens and Resident Evil, and not the game that we know in fact.

On another note, I decided to change the names of a number of maps because their original names reflect, uh... nothing. I bet that some of them were invented by the same person who wrote the "plot".
So map 14 will be renamed to "ruined villa", map 17 to "chemical plant", and so on.
SLON

Post by SLON »

Some Doom 1 levels additions.

In fact, it was started at the same time as with Doom 2, but was put on hold in favor of it.
SLON

Post by SLON »

Added a brief description of the levels in the first post, so that their changes were clear (this is still in progress, though).

Well, to have something to show:

These are the updated map10's barracks, which in fact are the main purpose of this map (since the alpha), despite the deceptive name in the original Doom 2.
As always, this is technically the same, only with a modified visual. I also think that I will dare to change some, if not all of the doors that open with a shoot, to the usual ones, since in the original it was rather a rather bad and implicit experience.
SLON

Re: <WIP> Doom II Updated (Demo Exist)

Post by SLON »

Some small innovations

SLON

Post by SLON »

I think I've finally reached the point where I can release this. This is still far from the final version, although quite a lot of what I had in mind is already present. As always, any ZDoom compatible port and Doom 2 wad are required to run. Yes, there are still some flaws, but I'd rather lay out what I have now than delay it again.
There are also some new enemies present: cyberbarons (the same guys from the cover of Doom 1), Nazi dogs, and one of which I don't want to spoil.

Maybe that's why I'll tackle Doom 1 levels, with a passing refinement of this.
Also, my thoughts on what can be brought to Doom 1 (in addition to the notorious minor level improvements):
Spoiler:
SLON

Post by SLON »

Little of updated E2M5, in this time screenshots from LZDoom (vanilla-experience, yes).
Corrupted zones will remain, just their number will be slightly reduced (IMHO, in the original they went too far with all this wood).
SLON

Post by SLON »

An (unfinished) updated version of E1M8. This is a merging of alpha and final versions. Now it really makes sense for you to wander into them (yes, that's pretty spoiler alert, but I don't think that's a big problem). The hellish portal is also returned, because so it, IMHO, looks more logical.
SLON

Re: <WIP> Doom II Superficial Update

Post by SLON »

The small update is released. As always, you can't run this without the original Doom 2 and any ZDoom compatible port.
As always, most of the changes are on maps 13 and 16 (you can also check 31 and 32).

Return to “Levels”