[GZDoom] Unfamiliar

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
yaboi

Re: [GZDoom] Unfamiliar Episodes Redux

Post by yaboi »

These maps are great, the recommended settings outlined in the zip file have made performance a little bit choppy but the visuals are absolutely fantastic.

I've been using Led's Generic Weapon Mod with this, I heavily recommend everyone do the same, as the weapon sounds/visuals/feel go really well with these maps

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=51833
Bochulain
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Bochulain »

Only just now downloaded and played some of it. Looks really cool, plays pretty well, but regarding the rifle zombies; do they drop pistols for a strategic reason, or just aesthetics? I ask because I played a few weapon mods with it and in some of them the pistols didn't count as ammo. That's more an issue with the weapon mod than the map, but still, if there's a way to get zombies to just drop ammo instead of your starting weapon, that'd be cool.
Chief Smokey

Post by Chief Smokey »

Bochulain wrote:Only just now downloaded and played some of it. Looks really cool, plays pretty well, but regarding the rifle zombies; do they drop pistols for a strategic reason, or just aesthetics? I ask because I played a few weapon mods with it and in some of them the pistols didn't count as ammo. That's more an issue with the weapon mod than the map, but still, if there's a way to get zombies to just drop ammo instead of your starting weapon, that'd be cool.
I switched the Zombiemen's item drop to the pistol because it's just a minor pet peeve of mine that the other zombie types drop their weapons while the rifle ones don't. It's pretty obvious that their weapons behave like the pistol from their fire rate and accuracy anyway. The maps were designed for vanilla style gameplay and the ammo drop should be similar to a pistol clip so I don't consider it to be an issue.
Bochulain
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Bochulain »

Chief Smokey wrote:I switched the Zombiemen's item drop to the pistol because it's just a minor pet peeve of mine that the other zombie types drop their weapons while the rifle ones don't. It's pretty obvious that their weapons behave like the pistol from their fire rate and accuracy anyway. The maps were designed for vanilla style gameplay and the ammo drop should be similar to a pistol clip so I don't consider it to be an issue.
That's fair, it always annoys me when mappers replace chaingunners with reskinned nazis so you can't have a chain gun.

I'm thinking I'm not the target audience for this anyway. Like, it's genius levels of detail and atmosphere. Gotta say using a column of water for a tractor beam was brilliant, though. That's the kind detail I love in these maps. I tried with bloom and fog and darkness and everything but I felt like a marine walking into a delapidated military base with broken vents and lights and corpses everywhere and... oh right. It's pretty... but oh my goooooood e1m1 is such a slooooooooog, the layout is like one of those newspaper mazes with dead ends all over the place, and the last key is behind a secret door, three quarters of the doors are just walls that look like doors, half the door-doors are one-way only, and the whole time the ambient sound is droning or hissing or beeping or buzzing or humming or groaning so LOUD... and m2 has all that plus a hurtfloor room with a switch hidden behind a forest of decorations. I can never tell when the enormous hitboxes of Doom's tall-sticks are a boundry and when they're a small maze. I started into m3 and it was all of the above plus neat little corners where you press a button to dispense a demon biting your spine. I love securing a location and then suddenly taking damage from a direction I just filled with corpses.

I think I'm coming to understand that there are 3 types of Doomers. Some like Marine vs. Environment, and this is kinda like that. It's like old-school Dungeons and Dragons, where the dungeons are a puzzle-maze built to funnel you into traps, and getting lost or killed is the default, and it's weird if you survive the first run through. Others like Marine vs. Enemies, where you're strategically wading through an army of demons. That's the small group of us who liked Quake II better than Quake. And then some who like Marine in Battle of Attrition - start with your HP steadily lowering and see if you can kill everything before it runs out. Like Plutonia I guess. Some people enjoy that, but then some people also enjoy having their eyes tattooed. I'm not going to stop them, I'm just not going to join them.

Anyway great job.
Chief Smokey

Redux V2

Post by Chief Smokey »

As preliminary work for Episode III I've done a general quality of life update for Redux. Improvements include better balancing for pistol starts, visual improvements, redone gameplay for E3M1, new ambient sound effects and minor bug fixes.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6hxbgey5i ... 2.zip/file
Last edited by Chief Smokey on Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Really enjoying the updates to the levels of episode one in this latest update.

However, I'm stumped as to what I'm supposed to do for E2M1. The red door near the start requires a key yet I've spent the last 15 minutes trying to find it. I literally have nowhere else to go aside from the door that leads to the armor which opens up a chaingunner ambush. I did IDDT in the automap to see where the red key is located and it's beyond the red door, which I can't open unless I cheat. I provided a screenshot to the door in question.

Chief Smokey

Post by Chief Smokey »

Nems wrote:Really enjoying the updates to the levels of episode one in this latest update.

However, I'm stumped as to what I'm supposed to do for E2M1. The red door near the start requires a key yet I've spent the last 15 minutes trying to find it. I literally have nowhere else to go aside from the door that leads to the armor which opens up a chaingunner ambush. I did IDDT in the automap to see where the red key is located and it's beyond the red door, which I can't open unless I cheat. I provided a screenshot to the door in question.

This issue was fixed quickly after the update.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

I'll download it again. :P Thank you!
Chief Smokey

E3M2 - The Caverns of The Damned

Post by Chief Smokey »

So after what feels like an eternity working on other projects I've returned to my old friend and resumed work on Episode III. After E3M3 is done I'll be releasing the first three maps for playtesting on my Discord server.

Craftsdwarf
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craftsdwarf »

The maps look absolutely gorgeous.
Will definitely give this a try sometime soon.
Chief Smokey

E3M3 - The Unholy Crematorium

Post by Chief Smokey »

Chief Smokey

E3M4 - The House of Torment

Post by Chief Smokey »

Chief Smokey

E3M5 - The Palace of Satan

Post by Chief Smokey »

Chief Smokey

E3M6 - The Crater of Suffering

Post by Chief Smokey »

m1lk
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by m1lk »

playing it now. this is GREAT!

Return to “Levels”