[GZDoom][OTEX] First Contact 1.5 - a varied mapset

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Deon

Re: [GZDoom][OTEX] First Contact 1.5 - a varied mapset

Post by Deon »

I am continuing my work on a city map.

I am using Mars3d textures which look like tweaked Duke3d textures for the city:
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/HUvnckA[/imgur]

I came here for an important opinion of people who has already played this map set: would you be OK with me including BUILD-engine style textures to better show the city style the way I intend it to look, or would you rather see me using more DOOM-like textures?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Use whatever texture you want to use, IMO.
Deon

Post by Deon »

Hmm, you are probably right. Considering this is my learning experience and a foray into mapping, it will probably help to learn which texture packs exist and how they can be used.

I do want to make a pure DOOM-map set, but that will probably come after my experimentation with this pack :).
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Nice job with this i love them space levels keep up the good work man can't wait to see more.
Vyticoz

Post by Vyticoz »

I had an absolute blast playing through this. I really hope you keep working on it. I'm excited to see what it becomes.
Kills_Alone
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kills_Alone »

I really enjoyed the level design (feels more realistic like Duke 3D) and nice use of OTEX. Spent about 40 mins playing the levels.

More darkness/shadows might help a few areas look unique.

Near the start you might wanna add a section which encourages the player to jump and crouch teaching them to keep an eye out for such opportunists. EDIT: There is the secret right near the beginning which might not be very obvious to most player's as it requires a crouch.

The levels felt just the right size, not overstaying their welcome, not too many enemies. Challenge wasn't very high until the final boss fight. Keep it up Deon.

A few extra notes: At around 11:41 I go looking for the last enemy, a Lost Soul who seems to be placed just outside the explorable map area, that's why I shot out the window to get it's attention. And the section with crushers can be avoided by crouching.
devlman127

Post by devlman127 »

Just tried this demo out with Arachnophobia, and I had a blast playing it through. Good mapset, though for others playing with the monster set I need to warn you about the end of the train section, as it was Not made for all the jumping spiders that appear. Should be good with other monster sets, though.
Deon

Post by Deon »

Thank you for the feedback. I am working on a new map/mod, and I will reuse some of the knowledge I've got while trying this first mapset. I am happy people find it enjoyable.
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

Pretty good map set. The use of environmental effects was well done. Loved the Space Walk section. I only found one "nope room"(Civvie11 reference) which was the red key room in the map before the train with all the cacos; dip in and dip out because I ain't fighting cacos in that tight column mess. :lol:
Deon

Post by Deon »

Ah, that's sad to hear, I was personally happy to fight them between columns since it makes dodging easy. I thought I came up with a cool design :). I will keep it in mind.
SupremeOasis
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by SupremeOasis »

Cleared today and I I liked it very much. Paired really good with PSX musics.

Return to “Levels”