DOOM to Heretic conversion pack and resource pack [V 1.25]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] DOOM to Heretic conversion pack

Postby i2van » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:01 pm

MObreck wrote:Tested it. It seems to work fully functional. Good job :wink: . I had to tell my idiot virus scanner that the file is safe, but not much you can do about that on your end.

Thank you!

I suggest re-downloading it if you use x64 version - I did some x64 pointer arithmetic fixes.

Do you use GFXMAKER? Looks like it requires more porting efforts than MD2CONV.
i2van

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Postby MObreck » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:33 am

i2van wrote:
MObreck wrote:Tested it. It seems to work fully functional. Good job :wink: . I had to tell my idiot virus scanner that the file is safe, but not much you can do about that on your end.

Thank you!

I suggest re-downloading it if you use x64 version - I did some x64 pointer arithmetic fixes.

Do you use GFXMAKER? Looks like it requires more porting efforts than MD2CONV.

No, all you need is DM2Conv to manually convert a DOOM level (so long as the level didn't include any custom textures or objects). However you need to use the custom RSP file included with my mod's package (MTOConv.rsp).

The command line used would look like this:
dm2conv input.wad output.wad @MTOConv:D2TOH

Unless you used a DOOM1 level in which case you would use DTOH instead of D2TOH. Also you would need to rename the level's name for DOOM2 levels in editor like Slade (For example MAP01 gets turned into E1M1 thus would need to be manually renamed back).

The main advantages over just using the top loader method is that manually converted stages don't need the toploader wad, thus you can play them and vanilla Heretic at the same time. Also manually converted stages can be edited after being converted, unlike the the toploader method which does not actually alter the DOOM wads in any manner.
MObreck

Postby i2van » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:45 pm

MObreck wrote:
i2van wrote:Do you use GFXMAKER? Looks like it requires more porting efforts than MD2CONV.

No, all you need is DM2Conv to manually convert a DOOM level (so long as the level didn't include any custom textures or objects).

Ported GFXMAKER.
i2van

Re: DOOM to Heretic conversion pack and resource pack [V 1.2

Postby batos2 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:42 am

Excellent mod, I will finally be to play better the DOOM maps with Heretic.

But by any chance, you won't have a version or patch so that DOOM monsters are reemplaced by Heretic vanilla monsters? :D
(Former Humans should been reemplaced by golems and the Lost Souls by Gargoyles)

Also the Super Shotgun should be reemplaced by Crossbow (Like in Samsara) Instead the Super Crossbow, The default shotgun by Mace and the BFG9000 by The Tome of Power.

I was having a good time also with HeXeReTiC Fantasy mod.
batos2

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 32-bit

Postby i2van » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:03 am

i2van wrote:
MObreck wrote:
i2van wrote:Do you use GFXMAKER? Looks like it requires more porting efforts than MD2CONV.

No, all you need is DM2Conv to manually convert a DOOM level (so long as the level didn't include any custom textures or objects).

Ported GFXMAKER.

+ Linux port.
i2van

Postby ActionAlligator » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:31 pm

I've already run into two potential balancing bugs: 1) on every difficulty, zombie guys are replaced with Disciples of D'Sparil, which are way tankier and more powerful; and 2) shotgun guys are replaced with Maulotaurs
Is this something I'm doing wrong on my end, or can someone else recreate?

My method for loading the game in case it gives more info: using DoomLauncher -> renamed Doom.wad because DoomLauncher doesn't allow duplicates -> using Heretic as iwad and GZDoom as port, loading renamedDoom.wad first, then MTOBase second, then MTOTopLoad third. Is there something about any of this that would strangely mismatch enemy loading?
ActionAlligator

Postby MObreck » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:13 pm

ActionAlligator wrote:I've already run into two potential balancing bugs: 1) on every difficulty, zombie guys are replaced with Disciples of D'Sparil, which are way tankier and more powerful; and 2) shotgun guys are replaced with Maulotaurs
Is this something I'm doing wrong on my end, or can someone else recreate?

My method for loading the game in case it gives more info: using DoomLauncher -> renamed Doom.wad because DoomLauncher doesn't allow duplicates -> using Heretic as iwad and GZDoom as port, loading renamedDoom.wad first, then MTOBase second, then MTOTopLoad third. Is there something about any of this that would strangely mismatch enemy loading?

Strange, it sounds like the Topload wad isn't working for you (Maulotaurs use the same spawn ID in vanilla Heretic as shotgunners use in vanilla DOOM. The main thing the toploader wad does is corrects the spawn IDs). Did you spell the toploader wad's filename correctly?
MObreck

Postby ActionAlligator » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Are Shotgun Guys supposed to be the Hexen 2 archers? Because if so, apparently I just needed to update DoomLauncher...no idea what DoomLauncher is doing with the toploader now vs what it was doing before, but that seems to have fixed it. And also, I guess the Disciples weren't replacing zombie guys, but were replacing DoomGuy corpses or something, which I'm assuming also share the same spawnid? Anyways, hah, glad to have worked that out. I'll come back again if I notice something else off, thanks for the attempted help though MObreck! It was just user error, doh!
ActionAlligator

Postby MObreck » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:50 pm

ActionAlligator wrote:Are Shotgun Guys supposed to be the Hexen 2 archers? Because if so, apparently I just needed to update DoomLauncher...no idea what DoomLauncher is doing with the toploader now vs what it was doing before, but that seems to have fixed it. And also, I guess the Disciples weren't replacing zombie guys, but were replacing DoomGuy corpses or something, which I'm assuming also share the same spawnid? Anyways, hah, glad to have worked that out. I'll come back again if I notice something else off, thanks for the attempted help though MObreck! It was just user error, doh!

Yeah, the shotgunners will get replaced with archers or green golems, depending on what seed the randomizer draws from the level you are playing. There are actually two archer types that can be chosen: one type that shoots a projectile spread that impersonates the shotgunner's attack and one type that shoots a single big arrow.

Looking it up the Disiciples do indeed use the same ID as one of the marine corpses in DOOM. That would make more sense, being the zombiemen use an ID that isn't used in Heretic, thus would be replaced by the not found symbol objects (or crash the game outright in vanilla DOOM).

DOOM and Heretic's IDs don't match up well at all, getting some pretty insane results as you found out. For example if you try to load an unaltered Heretic level in DOOM all the gargoyles get swapped with revenants :shock:
MObreck

Postby spforce » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:44 am

can someone write the load order to do for this some example?
spforce

Postby MObreck » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:21 am

spforce wrote:can someone write the load order to do for this some example?

Use Heretic as your base game.

Load order:
- DOOM level wad you wish to convert
- MTOBase.pk3
- MTOToploader.wad
MObreck

Postby ActionAlligator » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:29 am

I ran into another error that I hope isn't something I did wrong again, haha. After beating e2m4, it gave an intermission screen oddly and brought me to e2m5, but the name of the map was listed as "The Catacombs" instead of "Command Center." Every other Doom map has the original Doom mapname and I'm pretty sure there's no intermission between e2m4 and e2m5 in ultimate doom, or is my memory off?

BTW, this is a nifty and creative little mod you have here, I'm enjoying it! =)

EDIT: also, finishing secret lvl e3m9 brings you to e3m5 instead of e3m7 and finishing the last boss on e3m8 doesn't beat the lvl
ActionAlligator

Postby Darman Macray » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:41 pm

This is a really cool idea. I wish there was way to play this with wads that don't use stock textures. It would be neat to tool around something like Episode 2 of BTSX ( https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/69960-back-to-saturn-x-episode-2-is-out-of-beta-v101-aug-13-2020/ ) as Corvus.
Darman Macray

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 32-bit

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects