Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (1.0.3)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.10 BETA)

Post by Captain J »

No no no, i'm not saying that the existing sounds are not working in the game, i mean adding new sound effect to the game. For example, Minor Ammo items play default ammo pickup sound unlike health/armor one. Sorry about the brainfart that made me say health/armor one does not have the own sound... Haha

And i mean the medium enemies. You know? Like Beholder and the Slug Alien? I already know they have pain and death sound, but it's just the same sound playing over and over. Lesser enemies are not really a problem in distracting situations because they play another sound for their deaths, loud and clear. It goes the same for Gibbing sound because it's just a several blood drop sound playing.

Speaking of Slug Alien, would be cool if other enemies have full 8 rotations as well. But all the process might be tough, so just saying! Excuse me. I really love this TC.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Captain J wrote:No no no, i'm not saying that the existing sounds are not working in the game, i mean adding new sound effect to the game. For example, Minor Ammo items play default ammo pickup sound unlike health/armor one. Sorry about the brainfart that made me say health/armor one does not have the own sound... Haha

And i mean the medium enemies. You know? Like Beholder and the Slug Alien? I already know they have pain and death sound, but it's just the same sound playing over and over. Lesser enemies are not really a problem in distracting situations because they play another sound for their deaths, loud and clear. It goes the same for Gibbing sound because it's just a several blood drop sound playing.

Speaking of Slug Alien, would be cool if other enemies have full 8 rotations as well. But all the process might be tough, so just saying! Excuse me. I really love this TC.
Ok, I understand now, thanks for clarifying! Sorry if I came across impatient or anything. If I can find some good sounds I'll have a look into this doing this. The gibbing sound should be in there but I think it might be getting drowned out by the blood drops, especially since I heavily increased the amount of them, and each one is playing a sound.

As for having 8 rotations for the larger enemies, it is a lot of work, so we'll see how it goes. I do want to do this but I have to balance it against burning myself out.
zxdunny
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by zxdunny »

Seems good so far. Not sure the pickups should be different to the regular pickups though, there's no way to tell what is what based on their graphics until you've learnt what bad guy drops what.

Some surprises in the maps - open space in level 3 now has partitions which makes it a LOT easier than the wide open deathtrap it was previously. Personally I'd not mess with changing the maps, but it's your project.

Overall though, happy with it so far and grateful you're working on it.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

zxdunny wrote:Seems good so far. Not sure the pickups should be different to the regular pickups though, there's no way to tell what is what based on their graphics until you've learnt what bad guy drops what.

Some surprises in the maps - open space in level 3 now has partitions which makes it a LOT easier than the wide open deathtrap it was previously. Personally I'd not mess with changing the maps, but it's your project.

Overall though, happy with it so far and grateful you're working on it.
The ammo drop pickups do have the relevant symbols on them, and are coloured differently, but as someone else pointed out they probably need differenciating a bit more. I'll take a look at this.

Yeah changing the maps TOO much is a thing I'm concerned with, I do want to make them into better experiences where possible though. It's a balancing act for sure, and I'm not sure if I'm always getting it right. Personally I feel like Level 3 is... well, not the best map from the original, and I find the almost completely linear sequence of huge boxy rooms a bit dull honestly. Maybe there's a better balance to be found between old and new though.
aconike

Post by aconike »

I finished the game here on EASY and it took me by surprise and I didn't find all the secret rooms and all the surprises.

PS: Can anyone send me the original version of the game? I have 2 versions now. 0.9 and last 0.1. I would like the previous versions that came out please, namely 0.8 and 0.7 or 0.6. and older. Original archives so I can browse the first version, subsequent versions and compare changes.

PLEASE
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

aconike wrote:PS: Can anyone send me the original version of the game? I have 2 versions now. 0.9 and last 0.1. I would like the previous versions that came out please, namely 0.8 and 0.7 or 0.6. and older. Original archives so I can browse the first version, subsequent versions and compare changes.

PLEASE
Sure, here you go! Image
Kinsie wrote:I recommend FS-UAE, which auto-downloads the latest WHDLoad as-needed and has a nice online database for automatically configuring things (although for some games you'll probably wanna make your own configs - Gloom Deluxe chugs miserably for some reason). You'll still need the Kickstart ROMs, though, and AmigaForever can provide those in a legal form, so you should totally get that as well!

The floppy and CD32 versions of the games can be legally downloaded with Team17's permission from the fansite Dream17, though you may fare better with a pre-installed WHDLoad version, which shouldn't be too difficult to find online.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

aconike wrote:I finished the game here on EASY and it took me by surprise and I didn't find all the secret rooms and all the surprises.

PS: Can anyone send me the original version of the game? I have 2 versions now. 0.9 and last 0.1. I would like the previous versions that came out please, namely 0.8 and 0.7 or 0.6. and older. Original archives so I can browse the first version, subsequent versions and compare changes.

PLEASE
Can I ask how the game took you by surprise? Was it too easy or too hard? I'm interested to know because to be honest I feel like I didn't test the easy mode enough.

I'm assuming you mean the first versions of Project Osiris, not the actual original AB3D? Here are all the previous releases:

v0.8
v0.8.1
v0.8.2
v0.9

All versions before this were never released anywhere, they were just to mark my own progress during development and not really intended for public consumption, sorry!

PS. Btw, not sure if this was a typo and I'm probably being picky but I figured I'd explain if anyone doesn't know: 0.10 isn't the same as '0.1' here, these are version numbers, not decimal points. Consider it as "pre-release version 10" or something like that. I could go on to 0.11, 0.12, up to 0.1000 and beyond from here, but I'm planning on the next update being a jump up to 1.0 instead.
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

First of all, this is such a GREAT mod, I really love it!!
Coming from the Amiga and having played through this game there and then, this brings back such great memories...

I've played though till level 11 so far, including the secret level.
In this level 17 there seems to be a bug, though.
The teleporter in the upper left corner of the map (you have to get one key there, forgot the exact color) only works once - means, if you go down to this computer area a second time (to pick up leftover ammo or such), you cannot exit. Or was this on puropse and I just didn't find an other route out?
I had to use idclip to get out...and I hate using cheats.

Also, I'm usually playing to get all kills and all secrets.
Secrets are really hard to be found at times; no misaligned wall or such gives a hint. Also here I have to use iddt regularly to not miss any of the secrets - maybe "hiding them more obiously" might be a good idea, the way Doom or Heretic are doing it - with walls not matching the surroundings or being misaligned?

Other than that, really great work - it doesn't really feel like a Doom mod but like a game if it's own. Kudos!
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Pa9an wrote:First of all, this is such a GREAT mod, I really love it!!
Coming from the Amiga and having played through this game there and then, this brings back such great memories...

I've played though till level 11 so far, including the secret level.
In this level 17 there seems to be a bug, though.
The teleporter in the upper left corner of the map (you have to get one key there, forgot the exact color) only works once - means, if you go down to this computer area a second time (to pick up leftover ammo or such), you cannot exit. Or was this on puropse and I just didn't find an other route out?
I had to use idclip to get out...and I hate using cheats.

Also, I'm usually playing to get all kills and all secrets.
Secrets are really hard to be found at times; no misaligned wall or such gives a hint. Also here I have to use iddt regularly to not miss any of the secrets - maybe "hiding them more obiously" might be a good idea, the way Doom or Heretic are doing it - with walls not matching the surroundings or being misaligned?

Other than that, really great work - it doesn't really feel like a Doom mod but like a game if it's own. Kudos!
Thanks for the feedback! The teleport thing is a bug I'm afraid, sorry about that. It's that damn "Repeatable Action" checkbox in Doom Builder again, I keep forgetting to tick it, lol. I'll fix it for next version.

I do try to misalign all the secret walls slightly or have some sort of differenciation but I may have been a bit too subtle in some cases. Are there any secret walls in particular you remember that you found particularly hard to spot? This is one of those things where it's tough to find a good balance. I'll look into it though!
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:Thanks for the feedback! The teleport thing is a bug I'm afraid, sorry about that. It's that damn "Repeatable Action" checkbox in Doom Builder again, I keep forgetting to tick it, lol. I'll fix it for next version.
Good to know :) Already thought I had missed something...
There was at least one more teleporter in an earlier level that only worked once - in that case there were other routes, though, so this felt more like on purpose.
I do try to misalign all the secret walls slightly or have some sort of differenciation but I may have been a bit too subtle in some cases. Are there any secret walls in particular you remember that you found particularly hard to spot?
Well, there were a few, but I cannot tell anymore. Yet, it might also be the way textures look in the game that even if you offset them a bit, the difference might be just too little. Especially in the speckled walls where the pattern/texture looks so random that offsetting it wouldn't make a visual difference...maybe walls illuminated by flickering lights or wall portions between other objects (lamps or such) might be an idea. As AB3D is using non-matching textures on walls a lot that are just part of the level without being secrets, using that way of distunguishing secrets might not be a good idea, especially in levels that use many of these mixed walls...(hope ye know what I mean ;))

I'm in level 15 right now, still enjoying every minute of it :)
aconike

Post by aconike »

I have 2 versions of the archive, osiris-0.9, which has been since April, and now osiris-0 10, which was released on October 10, 2020. So how many versions have been released? Just these 2?
The game surprised me with a slight change of enemies and especially the addition of enemies, because I know the game as your shoes and often scared me nicely when I thought that no one was here but was.
The game gave me more work, but it was good for EASY. I tried the hardest version here and it was too much for me. Either I have slow reactions or I threw myself into it with the thought that I could handle it and let myself be surprised or in a hurry.
The light adjustments are great and especially surprising in the later stages and the offices that were just now connected, the flashing lights, etc. are great. The secret rooms are beautiful and I have 2 rounds where I couldn't find all the secret rooms, but I hope I will find it. But you probably know where the game took me, don't you?

MAP01 - the first secret room is clear, I liked the second very much, because I always wanted to go up here and the last one was great.
MAP02 - The stairs were a good idea and the secret room was a good idea.
MAP03 - The first major modifications at the beginning surprised me, as did the next larger room.Its fine.It gives the bike some character than just walking.
MAP04 - Adjusted room heights, first armor and light landscaping. Nice bike and secret rooms.
MAP05 - A maze where nothing new could be invented. Light modifications and 2 extra secret.
MAP06 - A beautiful bike and at the exit I've been thinking about what's behind that hole for 20 years and I know it today! Super connection via 2 secret rooms. Very nice and pleasant change!
MAP07 - Very long and beautiful bike with full secret and excellent for all kinds of modifications. I commend the inspiration and connection of the mess. SUPER bike!
MAP08 - BOSS number 1 and secret at the beginning, further adjustments of a great bike with the barefoot and balance. The first heavy BOSS and great action speed and a lot of ammunition.
MAP09 - FAIL - Unfortunately I can't come to 1 secret place of this round, although the rooms were nicely connected, adjustments were made to empty places, nice tuning
Lots of nice exteriors, but the secret one gives me a hard time - probably a mistake. But the gameplay of this round increases by 200 percent, the patrols on the rocks are great.
Even the last duel in the arena with the return to the previous room, but also at the beginning of the round is nice.
MAP10 - Giant bike with a lot of green monsters, a brown monster and a lot of secret rooms, which also cause me huge problems in this bike. You can't
is to find it on the first try and it's a big coincidence and I really don't know what to do next.
MAP11 - SUPER level which I personally like, because it is tiny, although it has 2 floors but it is nicely playable and completely unreal. And the new version is perfect.
The effects and new processing is perfect and it can be seen that the creator has eliminated himself and fulfilled his dreams! This is called the future! Dark and perfect !!
The rooms are great and they are not empty rooms, they are offices where monsters have moved and mutated God knows what. This bike will work!
MAP12 - Carving as it should be, a long and unreal corridor with a brutal ending! How could anyone come up with such a perfect bike? 4 secret rooms are SUPER !!!!!
MAP13 - A fast bike that will take place in 1 minute! Unfortunately, or thank God, the new UPDATE changed that. Now it's a carving for 10 minutes !! Action and fear! BOMB!!
The improvements brought an incredible experience and harmony between the old and the new look!
MAP14 - DESTROYED joyped, this is a message that fits this bike. I spent a month at this level before I humiliated him.
MAP15 - Heavy bike, but good
MAP16 - Super and beautiful last round with lots of battle mechanisms.
MAP17 - I don't know how to get there, how to do it so I can write PM to people?
aconike

Post by aconike »

DONE

The game was completed on both EASY and NORMAL and also on BRUTAL difficulty, which is quite good and whatever gave me a hard time and there was even a death run, so the new version it's great and the difficulty is perfectly balanced and perfectly playable.

Unfortunately, the game's MOTOR is different than in the original game, so you can get around a few new things in the game. I mean, for example, the creator made a few changes to make the game better and more attractive, but I found 3 places that bypass and greatly facilitate the fight.
But it's not the fault of the game or the creator, it's just that on BRUTAL difficulty the following skills, bullets and health must be used to make the game.

To search for secret places, I would just add that a small change to the visual is enough and that's enough. THE SECRET room is SECRET, so it is SECRET and should not be visible immediately.

As I think it is enough, but I'm not against light adjustments! And otherwise that is why there are versions that everyone can download.

The OLD versions are a perfect copy with everything.
The NEW versions are future and download it, just the one who wants to see how the future game and things can happen and the new version is not bad, just improved!
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Hi aconike, thanks for your very kind feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

You asked about versions, there are a few available, as far back as 0.8. I made a post in this thread a week or two ago with the links if you're interested. I've now added these links to the main post as well.
aconike wrote:Unfortunately, the game's MOTOR is different than in the original game, so you can get around a few new things in the game. I mean, for example, the creator made a few changes to make the game better and more attractive, but I found 3 places that bypass and greatly facilitate the fight.
But it's not the fault of the game or the creator, it's just that on BRUTAL difficulty the following skills, bullets and health must be used to make the game.
Do you mean there are ways to skip some fights in this version that weren't in the original AB3D? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, I think there's a bit of a language barrier here. Can you tell me where these 3 places are? I'm interested to know what places you mean.
aconike wrote:MAP17 - I don't know how to get there, how to do it so I can write PM to people?
Since someone found it already, I might as well acknowledge this for anyone out there wondering, yes there's a secret level in the latest version. The map is based off a demo of the original game I found, one that I hadn't seen before. It seems to be later than the two demos most people are familiar with, as enemies, textures and visual style are just like the release game, but it's a unique map to the demo. Since it was more like the main game, I decided to add it as a secret level to the main campaign, instead of being part of the older demo maps I'm working on adding. I added some extra areas just to fill the map out a bit, including a climactic battle at the end.

Here are some clues to find it. I'm not just straight up giving it away though!
Spoiler:
aconike

Post by aconike »

I have a questions!

1. How many people play this game? 100 or 500 or 1000 people? Give me an answer!

2. All secret rooms found and completed on the most difficult difficulty with great effort and monthly effort! Did you find them too?

3. My English is very BAD. English is not my language and I don't understand it and that's why I use a translator, I send INFO more to the PM of the game owner.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

aconike wrote:I have a questions!

1. How many people play this game? 100 or 500 or 1000 people? Give me an answer!

2. All secret rooms found and completed on the most difficult difficulty with great effort and monthly effort! Did you find them too?

3. My English is very BAD. English is not my language and I don't understand it and that's why I use a translator, I send INFO more to the PM of the game owner.
Total downloads for all versions add up to 3478, but since some people have tried multiple versions, the actual amount of unique players is less. 2460 downloads were for 0.9 since it was the active version for most of this year.

I guess the question about secrets is for everyone, not just me? I built most of the secret rooms myself so I certainly hope I found them all or something's gone wrong somewhere.

No worries about the English! I can understand enough to get the general jist of it. I got your PM btw, thanks for the info, I'll look into improving those areas!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”