[WIP]Gothic Skins for Doom

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: [WIP]Gothic Skins for Doom

Post by Matt »

Just one minor issue: if I'm in a tight situation and my entire attention is on the monsters and surroundings, and my default weapon at that time is a shotgun, it's not immediately obvious to my peripheral vision if I had at some point since my last shot picked up a rocket launcher for the first time. (Fortunately I missed that point-blank imp and proceeded to die from something less humiliating that run)

Not sure how to change the RL sprite, or if this might be best left alone with a player cautioned to be more careful.
HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

I think I could remedy that by taking the sprite and adding that aiming doohickey there at the top.

I think that could make it more distinct from the shotgun, but also still keep it clear that it is a grenade launcher, no?
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

I wonder how progress of the gameplay mod is going?
Matt
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I think the biggest issue is to break up the similar outline... adding the sights should do, though if the original sprite is higher resolution a slight change of perspective could work as well (and possibly better).
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Your mod is well done, I like games with gothic theme.

Alternate Dark Ambient Music Pack perfectly matches the theme
https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/ ... music-pack
Deon

Post by Deon »

Thank you for this amazing collection.

I am working on a fantasy-styled map set (which starts outside and then turns into dungeon crawler) inspired by Diablo games.
These sprites fit PERFECTLY.

Here's a video if you are interested to share more people playing your collection in the main topic:

I have provided the link in my Youtube video description which sends people here. I am not doing the video for monetization purposes, I am doing it to bring people's interest to my future mapping (this is my first map) and to let more people know about this awesome collection.

Thank you again.
Xim

Post by Xim »

This is great, I had an idea for a mod like this a while ago. Glad somebody came up with a good one like this.

Btw, any chance you could do the weapon name tags too in the language lump? I like playing with weapon and item tag displays on and seeing the old weapon names is a bit clashing.
Baratus

Post by Baratus »

Whee, it's Halloween and these sprite/sound replacements are PERFECT for adding a lot of extra spookiness to my Doom experience while keeping the core gameplay intact. It really changes the atmosphere of the game to be more creepy and unnerving, especially with the horrid sounds the monsters make. I'll be sure to load this up with the creepy horror-themed WADs in my WADs folder. I'm currently replaying Unloved which is a favourite of mine.
Randomguy7
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Randomguy7 »

Anyone have any good texture replacement for vanilla maps to make them more spooky? This should be amazing for Demon Slayer 1887!
Gezzdt

Post by Gezzdt »

Hey, i love the gothic monsters!
So i did a XDeath addon for some of them (Demon/Spectre, Cacodemon, Hellknight, BaronofHell, Mancubus, Revenant, Archvile). The Xdeaths should'nt happen too often.
I tested it with the latest GZDoom build.
It's not very fancy gore wise, but shold work well with nashgore.
Attachments
HMG_GothMonsters_XDeath.pk3
(93.16 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Last edited by Gezzdt on Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Looks amazing and the enemies are awesome ..
Will there be a texture mod soon ?
DOEL

Post by DOEL »

I love this mod and have been using it on my Zandronum co-op servers. Are there any other mods like this out there that don't effect gameplay just aesthetics?
Valken

Post by Valken »

Thanks for the bump because I missed this during the pandemic! These look awesome and would be great if mixed in with Project Malice and Litdoom.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Not sure if I should post this here or where you announced it, but I'm guessing your impending retirement means you won't be releasing those other versions you mentioned? I actually made my own vanilla compatible version a little while ago, and I'd been meaning to ask your permission to release it, but never got around to it until now. So can I?
HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Of course! You can post it here or wherever you want, and I'll link it in the OP.

Regarding what will become of this mod, I might end up scrapping the gameplay mod version, but I think I should be able to get the HDest version out. I also think this pack in general needs atleast one more update until I can call it done, mainly so I can do some touchups on the guns, make a better players sprite, and I been really itching to make some propper HUD graphics for it, since the default Doom one is quite unfitting.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”