SpriteShadow v2.0 (now built into GZDoom 4.6.0!)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: SpriteShadow (Duke3D Shadows) v1.9

Post by Nash »

Caligari87 wrote:What's with the shadow "height" being different between those two shots?

8-)
I added an experimental user-configurable height setting because during testing I noticed that the shadows in Blood and Shadow Warrior are taller than Duke3D.

I probably will omit this feature as there is a line that needs to be drawn when it comes to [over]exposing user options.
Nash

Re: SpriteShadow (Duke3D Shadows) v1.9

Post by Nash »

Are you a mod author who merges SpriteShadow.pk3 into your mod/TC/full game? Please answer the poll and (if possible) drop a link to your project. Thanks!
vsonnier
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: SpriteShadow (Duke3D Shadows) v1.9 (calling mod authors)

Post by vsonnier »

Hi Nash, I answered YES to your poll: I helped tweaking the existing SpriteShadow to Brutal Doom Black Edition : https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/ ... ck-edition
A_D_M_E_R_A_L
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

I answered "Yes" to the poll. I integrated SpriteShadows into my EVP mod: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=58191
luigiman0640
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by luigiman0640 »

I initially voted "No", but considering my Duke-based project, it'd be criminal not to try and integrate it into the project at some point, so I went ahead and changed it to "Yes". I'll link it when I get it up and running.
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Hi Nash, I've recently added Sprite shadow to my mod here.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=68686

There's a few enemies that crawl on the ceiling and at the moment the shadows are cast on the ground. For me I don't see it as an issue, I quite like that it gives a clue that something up there on the ceiling (about to attack you). As long as there's lights on the ceiling it's realistic anyway :)
TheVanessii
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TheVanessii »

great mod!
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

it looks like shadows don't move with the caster if they are on elevators, adding the flag +MOVEWITHSECTOR appears to fix that
Nash

Post by Nash »

I appreciate the reports but as I've said before, this mod will be redundant. I already have a working implementation of the engine version and it works much better than the mod version..
Adamast0r
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Adamast0r »

Great mod.
Would you consider extending shadows to the spheres as well? As DOOM Retro does, for example.
vsonnier

Post by vsonnier »

Congratulations Nash for landing the native SpriteShadow support in GZDoom itself, works great and looks exactly as SpriteShadow did.
:D
Moved Brutal Doom Black Edition to use it, which took about 1 mn to do :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Awesome! I'm interested to know if there are any performance differences between the mod version and the engine version.

I will be making an official announcement later this week - I'd like to wait for DRDTeam devbuilds to catch up first so that more people can test it...
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Wow, just noticed this totally by coincidence. Hopefully they'll make a new GZDoom release soon now to make it official. More than enough commits have accumulated in the meantime, I think.
vsonnier

Post by vsonnier »

Nash wrote:Awesome! I'm interested to know if there are any performance differences between the mod version and the engine version.

I will be making an official announcement later this week - I'd like to wait for DRDTeam devbuilds to catch up first so that more people can test it...
Yeah sure ! Just some remarks about the shadow distance : I think we should expose it as a proper slider in Display. As for me, I think that a value of 1000 is more than enough for it instead of 1500.

With this native version, I didn't change the code of Black Edition and simply use option "Always" / "No" : Thanks to the legacy SpriteShadow, regular monsters and players had shadows of course, but also casings and ammo magazines that were tagged "+ISMONSTER" just for the sake of supporting them, so everything worked out of the box.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

NightFright wrote:Wow, just noticed this totally by coincidence. Hopefully they'll make a new GZDoom release soon now to make it official. More than enough commits have accumulated in the meantime, I think.
You can try posting it in the features suggestions. It isn't unheard of for a new release to be triggered by one, and the release schedule is lagging a bit anyhow.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”