Spawn: Path to Damnation v1.3 (14/03/21)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JuliusKoolius

Re: Spawn: Path to Damnation (v1.0c) POLL ADDED

Post by JuliusKoolius »

cubebert wrote:
Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Yes, the sniper rifles got a revamp, and now are dual wieldable! Expect more news soon! =)
Nice! How's the progress going on fixing that crashing bug? I didn't experience it while playing with the Double Impact mapset, so maybe its coming from the shotgun (the SPAS-12, not the boomstick) or the minigun?
In my experience it seems to happen with all of the weapons, so maybe the dual wielding is causing it?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

JuliusKoolius wrote:
cubebert wrote:
Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Yes, the sniper rifles got a revamp, and now are dual wieldable! Expect more news soon! =)
Nice! How's the progress going on fixing that crashing bug? I didn't experience it while playing with the Double Impact mapset, so maybe its coming from the shotgun (the SPAS-12, not the boomstick) or the minigun?
In my experience it seems to happen with all of the weapons, so maybe the dual wielding is causing it?
No, it happens with the SSG and the Minigun, at least on my end. I am suspecting its some token the weapon call when firing, but... well, i am rewriting the akimbo system a bit, discovered i didn't need so much gross hacks in the end, so i hope nothing breaks.

IN ANY CASE

If you guys know Vostyok, author of the amazing Ashes and Ashes: Afterglow saga, you also know he is an awesome spriter. Some days ago he gave me a gift, and i know it will enhance a lot the gameplay:

I just changed a few aspects on the original sprite, but yeah, meet Agony!
The very conciousness of Spawn materialized in a deadly weapon but using his cape =)

Keep around for more news guys, and thanks for the feedback.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Haha, I'm glad you like it. That was a mockup, btw. Lol.

I was hoping to make you something better, but we'll roll with that one if you like it. And I do like what you've done with it. I will see if I can make up some more frames for overhead/lateral swings. I have a few old requests still burning a hole in my inbox, but will try to get it done in due time.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Any luck in fixing the freezing problem? I get them frequently and randomly to where I have to save too often and I have no idea what is causing it to happen.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

=(

That's bad. I am still working on it and filtering what may cause it or not. Let me ask you a few questions, so i can add some informations to the current list;

1 - Does it happens when you do something specific?
2 - Does it happens at random or during some specific time?
3 - Does it happens only when you have a certain item?

I am outta question ideas now, but i will keep in touch.

One thing i know now is that if i add the flag +WEAPON.CHEATNOTWEAPON to the master weapon actor, the freezes seem to go away for me (but that would not allow people to cheat and have some fun).
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:=(

That's bad. I am still working on it and filtering what may cause it or not. Let me ask you a few questions, so i can add some informations to the current list;

1 - Does it happens when you do something specific?
2 - Does it happens at random or during some specific time?
3 - Does it happens only when you have a certain item?

I am outta question ideas now, but i will keep in touch.

One thing i know now is that if i add the flag +WEAPON.CHEATNOTWEAPON to the master weapon actor, the freezes seem to go away for me (but that would not allow people to cheat and have some fun).
I wrote down all details of the freezes that occurred, and they all seem to be linked to me using or switching to a dual-wielded weapon. Doesn't seem to be a specific one cus it happened at least once with all of them. And it's weird because it is totally random when it happens. I could be walking down a hall and freeze, get ready to open a door full of mobs and freeze, be in the middle of a firefight and freeze, and of course switch to or away from a dual weapon and freeze.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Spawn: Path to Damnation (v1.1) FREEZE FIXED!!!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Gentlemen, i think this should be posted.

Bring an Oscar to our friend Dabb Squidward, he fixed all freezings on my end, and i hope nobody has any problems too. So, if i may be so bold, fuck agony for now, and please enjoy Spawn closer to the way it was meant to be!

Here comes the changelog: some weapons and spells beefed, SSG nerfed, new dual wieldable Sniper Rifles, new sprites, fixed typos and deleted useless garbage. Have fun!!!

DOWNLOAD!
Spoiler:
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Download link gives an error
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Sorry, small problem, try again ;)
AstartesCitizen
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by AstartesCitizen »

Neat! A new update! Speaking of buffing spells, maybe for a next update have a new spell that further increases the guns damage, like a spell that infuses the guns with necroenergy for a few seconds allowing the guns to fire demonic plasma that shreds baddies, the spell could last like ten seconds and cost a huge amount of energy per cast to keep things somewhat balanced. Also some had point out that the rifle as cool as it is feels redundant to the Uzi, maybe replace the rifle with a demonic version that Spawn would use? Or perhaps an equivalant of a plasma rifle of sorts? Nevertheless this is just keep getting better! Oh and looking forward to that Agony Axe soon. Cheers!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Something on the plans for the rifle (and maybe some other weapons as well) is a short-range scope for the rifle. Nice suggestion of spell, this reminds me of Energyshot from Parasite Eve 2.

I also have another idea of spell by watching some "Spawn: Armageddon" videos, but that's for later, as i haven't even managed to configure the emulator on my PC yet (and it's been years since i last played it on PS2). ;)
cubebert
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cubebert »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote: Bring an Oscar to our friend Dabb Squidward, he fixed all freezings on my end, and i hope nobody has any problems too. So, if i may be so bold, fuck agony for now, and please enjoy Spawn closer to the way it was meant to be!
I'm downloading the mod right now as I speak. May I ask exactly what file caused the freezing problem?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Sure! The problem was on the BFG9000 Spawner.

The way i use to do some spawners in my mods are meant to avoid the so-called "RandomSpawners" which, in my opinion break the game entirely. So this is a weapon spawner that kinda acts like a monster: once you "wake him up", it starts looking for you. If you get in his line of sight (any angle as long as you are not separated by a wall), it goes to a "See" sequence and plays some actions from there, looking at your inventory.

If you don't have the minigun, the weapon "morphs" into one and gives you a minigun on pickup. If you face him and you already have a minigun in your inventory, it morphs into a sniper rifle, and gives one on pickup. The real problem was on a state loop where it was looking for the wrong items and being redirected to the wrong states, as far as i know.

TL;DR: The BFG9000 was broken, didn't knew what to do and had a collapse.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Sure! The problem was on the BFG9000 Spawner.

The way i use to do some spawners in my mods are meant to avoid the so-called "RandomSpawners" which, in my opinion break the game entirely. So this is a weapon spawner that kinda acts like a monster: once you "wake him up", it starts looking for you. If you get in his line of sight (any angle as long as you are not separated by a wall), it goes to a "See" sequence and plays some actions from there, looking at your inventory.

If you don't have the minigun, the weapon "morphs" into one and gives you a minigun on pickup. If you face him and you already have a minigun in your inventory, it morphs into a sniper rifle, and gives one on pickup. The real problem was on a state loop where it was looking for the wrong items and being redirected to the wrong states, as far as i know.

TL;DR: The BFG9000 was broken, didn't knew what to do and had a collapse.
That's odd considering it was freezing in levels where a BFG9k wasn't present. But I will check out the new update and hope it cures the problem.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Don't scare me like that :lol:

Well, i hope that fixed the errors on your end too.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”