Releases

Esrael
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Releases

Post by Esrael »

Decided to fire up good ol' Duke with the release of version 0.7, and had a blast! I was able to beat the first episode pretty handily on Damn I'm Good difficulty. I normally don't play on that skill, but the port handled just so well, that it was a treat to play. I don't ever remember the game handling so nicely before this port. Two thumbs up, so far! :)

I played the first episode on version 1.3D (I believe, since it doesn't have the fourth episode), and things ran pretty swimmingly. But I did have problems with the ending cutscene, which lacked the ingame music.

But a bigger problem was, when I decided to fire up the second episode immediately after having finished the first episode: When I finished the first level of episode 2, the game immediately jumped to the ending cutscene of episode 2, and then the game brought me back to the main menu!

I tested it again by now starting up episode 1 again and finishing the first level, and the same happened, except this time I was brought to the episode 1 ending cutscene.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That sounds like some uninitialized data if it isn't consistent. Just FYI, the entire level transition code has been redone from scratch, because the original was really, really bad, so some hiccups are probably inevitable, now that it gets used in the wild for the first time.

Have you quit and restarted the engine after finishing the first episode? It may be some residual data from ending an episode once.
Also, what music are you talking about? It wasn't all clear for me from what you described.
Esrael
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Esrael »

I didn't quit the game/engine, I just immediately started playing episode two after the first one. The level transitions worked again once I restarted.

I just replicated the bug by reloading my save and defeating episode 1 again. Once I started a new episode and finished the first map, I was brought to the episode ending.

Okay, about the music: In vanilla Duke3D.exe (and in Eduke32 too IIRC), after I defeat the Battlelord, and the cutscene fires up where Duke blows out his brains, the music from the Abyss level is still playing in the background, both during the animated part and the still image part with the story text. In Raze, the music cuts as soon the ending cutscene starts up. Is this intended behaviour?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thanks for the clarification. That does indeed sound like something does not get cleared and the game thinks it still has to end the episode next time.
About the music, it's just an oversight. Just like the level transition, the entire cutscene code has been completely rewritten and this must have fallen through the cracks.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Both issues are fixed. A hotifx will be up soon because one is a rather big show stopper.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

0.7.1 hotfix uploaded
vini1264

Post by vini1264 »

Raze 0.7.1 plays really nice, it's very smooth. But with Duke 3D the pistol reloading animation is a little bugged, other than that it runs great for me.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

What do you mean by "a little bugged"?
mjr4077au
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mjr4077au »

There's been a bit of discussion on Discord about this, appears that a frame is missing. I don't believe it's an interpolation issue but perhaps something that's come in from the EDuke 2.x code. Tomorrow night (~33 hours), I'll be able to take a look.

Lodged https://github.com/coelckers/Raze/issues/93 to keep track of it.
eclenaeu2

Post by eclenaeu2 »

I tested the new Raze 0.7.1, I liked the progress, but I'm not able to run Ion Fury, it displays the following message:

script error, "C: / games / Ion Fury / fury.grpinfo" line 10:
Warning: GRP without game defined. Ignoring

I opened the file fury.grpinfo and the following appears:

grpinfo
{
name "Ion Fury"
scriptname "scripts / main.con"
defname "fury.def"
size 90995293
crc 0xBAE8E6F8
flags 128
dependency 0
}

I tested Ion Fury on Raze 0.6 and it worked, why doesn't it work on Raze 0.7.1 ?, some line is missing on fury.grpinfo ?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

As I said in the linked post, this version has removed all EDuke32 code. Unfortunately it was not possible to keep it and do the changes we did to improve overall handling of the engine for the other games. Ion Fury heavily depends on EDuke32 features, particularly those which presented problems to our goals, so I'm sorry to say that support for it had to be removed.
The support in Raze 0.6 was quite broken anyway and the inability to fix it was the prime motivation to go this route. The alternative would have been to actually rewrite large portions of the game's script code but that would have been problematic for legal reasons alone.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

mjr4077au wrote:There's been a bit of discussion on Discord about this, appears that a frame is missing. I don't believe it's an interpolation issue but perhaps something that's come in from the EDuke 2.x code. Tomorrow night (~33 hours), I'll be able to take a look.

Lodged https://github.com/coelckers/Raze/issues/93 to keep track of it.

That may be. The EDuke 2.x code for the weapon display was some nearly incomprehensible mess of #ifdefs, so I cannot rule out that something slipped through. It may make sense to compare the pistol code with JFDuke or the original Duke source to see if something is different.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

so. i got the latest version of Raze. and i tried out the controller support. specially the stick and stuff and i noticed something kinda weird. most if not all the games i tried to play, has some kinda issue with the LT button. whenever i try to use that button. it just does a thing where it slowly turns my character to the right. and i can't seem to find a way to unbind it or whatever. i usually use that button for like quick kicks in Duke 3D when i play with a controller. and i can't find anything in terms of that button being used at all. it's really weird
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I cannot say without you telling me what that button is named in the game. Can you go to the "Configure controls" menu, select any option and bind that particular button - and then post the name you get? It may just be it's bound to some undesired action by default, in that case you may have to manually delete that binding.
Also, if you manually assign it to another action that bogus binding should be gone - provided that it actually acts like a button.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

well. it's LTRigger. but i seemed to have found the issue. among the loads of things for the controller input. that button was set to turning for some damn reason

Return to “General”