Wow! Huge thanks for the feedback post, Endless! I can tell you put a lot of effort into it and I really appreciate it.
- Voxels OFF option wont stay. This means that every time I start a new game, the voxels are on.
I believe this is default GZDoom behaviour as this exact thing happens to me and has happened to others a few pages back. Perhaps I should add some menu text about this
- Randomly, I can't pick up green armor even when under 100%. This happened to me on the maps in the Serenity series, so maybe that's it.
Did you have blue armor at the time? There is a mechanic where you can't pick up green armor unless you have <50% blue armor, as blue armor still has better protection when low. I think I also should explain this somewhere too
- By disabling the reloading option, the shotgun no longer fires in the secondary mode (one shot per click.) Is this intentional?
Yeah this is intentional, the SSG is closer to its vanilla form when reloading is disabled
--- FEEDBACK ---
First off, lets start with the weapons.
- Fists & Chainsaw: Great, both of them. The chainsaw is now both useful and fun to use.
- Pistol: Better, faster, stronger. The sound is decent enough. My only issue has to be with the ammo (see below.)
- Rifle: Awesome. I love the sound of this one, my favorite gun to use now. Maybe the only thing I would change is making it a lil bit more accurate when aiming, but thats ok. Also, I think the spawn rate its quite low. In both Doom 1 & 2 fist levels, I would finish them without the rifle spawning.
- Shotgun: Same as rifle, awesome to use and more faster, which means much fun.
- SSG: Not that much of a change, but still fun to use, the sound is great, very powerful. I would only make it a little more powerful to the point that it can one-shot a revenant at point blank. Yes, this would make it much stronger, but also much fun to use and perfect for dealing against really tanky enemies.
- Chaingun: The sound is both smooth and strong, without being hyper load. I love the ''cooling'' sound too. Feels great, I would probably make the ''charging'' effect a little faste and actually increase a little more the rate of fire.
- Rocket Launcher: Beautiful. The faster rate of fire is very fun, buuut, I really wish you would change the dmg the player takes. Now because if fires faster, you can kill yourself really easy if a lost soul gets in your face for a split second while firing. Its one of those things of vanilla that I actually dont really like.
- Plasmagun: Now it sounds like a plasma gun! Pretty strong like it needs to be and the secondary fire now feels much punchier. I still dont use it that much tho, mostly because it consumes some ammo and the only times I use it is for sniping cacodemons, which take more than 3 total secundary fires to die on UV, so it kinda becomes a novelty.
- BFG: Its the goddamn BFG, its already perfect. I mean... making it stronger woundnt hurt anyone, only demons.
Glad to hear you love the weapons! The SSG actually can one hit a revenant in my experience but it seems you need insanely good RNG for it
I'll keep the Chaingun & Rocket suggestions in mind, too!
--- OVERALL ---
- This one is MAJOR, at least for me. It's the only complaint I have about the mod. The new ammunition system doesn't feel like it fits into the game. Now with pistol, rifle and minigun ammunition, I almost always had an exaggeration of pistol ammunition, half ammunition for the rifle and almost nothing for the mingun (especially now that it shoots faster, it spends faster.) This is especially noticeable in The Ultimate Doom where there are no chaingunners to supply us. The way you can improve this is simple: You can either go back to the simple 1 type of ammunition system for all 3 weapons, or you can increase either the total amount of ammunition or the amount of ammunition collected. Either of those can be an improvement, but personally, I am not a fan of the ammunition system. Also, the fact that theres no more ''bullets'' (Vanilla I mean) means that the vanilla statusbar doenst work correctly because it doesnt track bullets, and thus, most HUD's wont work too. Pity.
- The explosive barrels are great, I like them, but I think the mixed mode that adds the crates doesn't make a big difference. The crates don't spawn much and don't give much ammunition anyway, sometimes they don't even give at all. You should buffer that a little.
- One of the annoying things about Doom Vanilla is the 200% health and armor limit. I say this because when you reach the limit, you will still collect both HP and Armor bonuses, and it's something I find annoying especially on maps where you are forced to collect the bonuses, which ends up being a waste. If you could fix this it would be great, I think that 1) you could remove the limit or 2) you could make that when you reach the limit, you don't collect bonus anymore to avoid wasting them.
- The flash when picking up the objects is a bit strong for me. It is not annoying, I like it, but when playing in the dark it would be good to have an option to change it a little less bright.
- When you pick up Invulnerability there is a great glow of a cream color or a mixture that lasts longer than it should, I think this is kind of annoying. Within the same issue, you should change the extremely white/barely black mode that has the vanilla invulnerability.
I've noted these suggestions and I'll experiment with them (namely the ammo system) and push a few of them to the next build. These are great suggestions! I think the ammo system may be quite a big change as it has been this way since the mod's inception, so I may upload an experimental build for feedback.
- What do you think about adding some crosshairs? That would be awesome to go along with the more modern look and feel.
I haven't thought of adding crosshairs as I don't use them myself
but I have seen other mods implement them and it is certainly an interesting idea, so I will be keeping this in mind too
- For even cooler visuals, how about adding some bullet tracers? They always look cool in my book.
I've had some thoughts about implementing these as you're correct, they do look very cool
I may add them as a toggle option in a future build.
Well, that's some of the things I can recommend. Keep in mind that I'm not a modder, I don't know about that, but I'm an enthusiast of the game and I quite enjoy Mods that improve the quality of life and speed up pacing a bit. This has been one of my recent favorites. I tried the game for a few hours with Leds, using both The Ultimate Doom (with the Serenity series) and Doom 2 (with DBP09, Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions and the IWAD) and I had a very good experience. I will keep up playing with it for now, I like it well enough to do so. This is my overall opinion: This is a great mod and thank you for the effort. I hope you found this both helpful and inspiring. Thanks!
I very much appreciate your post! It's great feedback and it truly is very helpful. Thanks for playing and I'm glad you enjoy!